DIY Hydroponics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Hydroponics

I am planning to build a hydroponic system to grow leafy greens at home. I am reading a lot of DIY manuals and checking YT videos.

Now, if I have to drill, what machine/tools do I buy? In all YT videos, people (Americans) use 1 tool to drill, cut etc.

I will need to make holes in wood, PVP pipes, also cut circles on PVC pipes, make holes in aluminium flat rods. 1 tool that does all. I checked in Amazon, and Bosch has the tool, but it comes in various prices and configurations, upto $200. I am not going to become a professional drill guy, just basic hydroponic.

Or maybe there is a cheap tool(s) that can do everything I need, and I don't need to buy Bosch' tool. So, please advice on how to go about this, what to buy.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    1 tool that does all.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bohrer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1478908

Seriously though, depends, including on the materials you're working with.

Something similar to this:
    https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-Carr..._t2_B00TSJRV7Y
    especially if it already comes with a drill bit set should be sufficient for starting.

Bosch... well, if you choose a proper Bosch machine it'll last for 20 years. Literally.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
      [ATTACH]48593[/ATTACH]
      Looks like the tool of WWI. :D

Seriously though, depends, including on the materials you're working with.

Something similar to this:
      https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-Carr..._t2_B00TSJRV7Y
      especially if it already comes with a drill bit set should be sufficient for starting.

Bosch... well, if you choose a proper Bosch machine it'll last for 20 years. Literally.
      Bosch is what I was looking at. But I have no idea which one to buy, and they have many tools listed on Amazon (In) site. I will list out some tomorrow. If I can get hold of my home plumber, and if he has one of Bosch, then I can use his, instead of buying one. It's max 2 days work, once I design the frame and all. Also downloaded some books that I need to go through before the actual work begins.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        Looks like the tool of WWI. :D
        You can buy these on Amazon, usually in some set with various sizes for around $5 altogether.

They're good for precision detail work in woodworking.

Comment

I'm assuming you are talking about a Bosch drill like this?

Name:	bosch.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1478910

Looking at what you want to do, just about any drill will do.

Its the bits for the drill thats important

You will need a hole saw bit for punching holes in the PVC

Name:	milwaukee-hole-saws-49-56-9665-64_1000.jpg
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1478911

Can also use it, if the same size for the wood holes

Then drill bits in the size holes you want to make in the wood. In the US these go up to 1/2 in. If the holes in the wood and the PVC are the same and small you could use this on PVC also

Name:	drill bit.jpg
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	1478912

And you will need a metal bit for drilling through the aluminum. Looks like the wood bits above. Stronger and cuts at a different angle though

Stay away from paddle bits for anything.

If the Aluminum is thin and you take your time a Bosch 12vt drill (around $99.) would be more than adequate

Comment

Or you could go old school. Not Katos old school so lets call it Middle School. Think I last saw these being used in the late 1980s early 1990

A Bit and Brace (around $25 on Amazon) Have plenty of extra material, cause this isn't the most precise tool :)

Name:	bit and brace.jpg
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	1478913

Comment

I am focussing on Aquaponics ( = Aquaculture + Hydroponics) for now. Will update about the equipments needed later. Thank you Kato/GG.

Comment

Working...
              X