Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: COVID 19: Beyond the US and China

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    That is not my take on that. More like the people believed they were infectious while showing symptoms and they have found that you can be infectious when not showing any symptoms.
    ok that is a simpler take and I think get the scary bit now.

The split is 80 (mild) - 15 (serious) - 5 (critical)

It was found up to 50% and more of found positives are asymptomatic.

It means this disease is highly infectious since the people that can spread it make up 80%

Unlike with previous diseases where people would develop symptoms sooner, get sick and would not be able to spread the disease.

Most people look at the 80-15-5 split and think its not too bad. 80% will recover without any treatment.

The bad part is the 80 number that helps to spread infection faster. 10x more infectious than flu he said.

He also mentions how the fake news starts. Media picking up on non peer reviewed research.

Given this virus is so new, media is picking up on anything promising.

FDA has taken the position of allowing drugs on compassionate grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Remember we are having health care workers contracting the virus in the hospitals and all the patients there are definitely sick.
    Thing about health care workers in a hospital setting is repeated contact of the infected with non-infected. The odds of them passing the disease on are higher in such a setting. If the patients aren't also wearing masks there is a chance of them getting the disease even though they are in a different ward.

This is where the HCQ thing started. None of the patients in the lupus ward in Wuhan central hospital contracted the disease : )

The same problem occurs with health care workers treating covid patients. They are subjected to much higher exposure on a repeated basis to the point they are getting infected as well despite all precautions taken. I mean proper PPE and still some end up with the disease. This means there is a leak some where. That coupled with how over worked they are means their immune systems are weaker as well.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 29 Apr 20, at 22:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    US supports firms weighing India as alternative to China

This is once in a century opportunity.
    It is but unless India can offer a stable ie predictable regulatory environment this opportunity will be squandered.

Promises from current leaders amount to nothing. It needs to be in writing in the form of laws enacted.

So that the Indian govt cannot hold foreign companies to ransom just because India had an election and some one else came into office.

How to do that when the opposition will put all sorts of hurdles so as to make any law passed less favourable in the end. JUST....BECAUSE THEY ARE THE OPPOSITION!!! Remember the US nuke deal. When's that getting off the ground. Signed over a decade ago. What did the US get out of it ? Arms deals i suppose because they ain't shipping us any reactors.

Person to pay attention to is Rick Rossow from CSIS. He tracks US - India trade relationship.

The state dept encouraging US companies is fine but US companies have lost their shirt in India in the past.

Enron is one example from twenty years ago. Vodafone having issues.

This creates a stink about India in the minds of US companies and our leaders will have to be that much more persuasive.

If this new US push helps Modi wrestle the entrenched bureaucracy who actually runs India then great.

Trade relations with the US is contentious affair at the best of times and with a lot of countries.

Ask Canada what it's like to do business with the Americans : D

India - US strategic relations in contrast is more positive and smoother sailing. We're the customer. Their idea of Indo Pacific is Hollywood to Bollywood, ours is broader. No biggie.

Any trade deals with the US will have to follow the new NAFTA 2.0 template. Trump's vision.

Japan & S.Korea have already signed on to that new format.

I do not think relations between US & India can improve further unless people of both countries see the economic component improving. Just strategic isn't enough. We are both coasting currently when we should be much further along.

Modi was Trump before Trump became Trump. Both are economic nationalists.

This isn't the same US that opened up to China in the 80s.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 29 Apr 20, at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I don't follow US internal politics as much as you guys do. I comment based on what I read on US media. So the percentage of voters in the undecided lot is 3%. It's too small to be hinged upon. Once (2016) it made a difference, but it won't be the same this time. To be frank, I for a second didn't think President Trump would win in 2016. There is a pattern that whoever becomes POTUS completes his second term, and based on the conspiracy theories and his outlandish talk, that his supporters seem to believe, there is every chance he will get a second term in office.

Biden is a better choice than Bernie or Warren, IMV. And as far as India is concerned, we've worked with him during the Obama Presidency, so transition would be smooth. HRC is also a better choice given her dislike for Pakistan, but she ain't becoming POTUS.

We also had PMs like that, the silent MMS, we tolerated him for 10 years. If President Trump gets 4 more years, it's for you all to display your tolerance level. OTOH, there is every chance TH would move to some other country. :D
    There is a pattern of getting that second term but going by the record, Americans generally do not re-elect an incumbent when faced with a recession.

In the US a recession is defined as two quarters with negative growth. No way to dodge a recession come Nov is there ?

Fiddle with the numbers all you want but if the average American does not think their lot improved they will vote for some one else and i don't know if Trump's approval ratings will matter in that case.

Without the virus i'd have thought Trump would get a second term. It's unclear right now.

And TH will miss Trump big time i bet : D

The flip side of this is i'm not convinced turnout will be that much better than the last time in spite of Trump. I was thinking more people will show up to vote against him. So the winning margin will be slim and difficult to predict like the last time.

Trump benefits if turnout is lower. There is no clarity on whether voting by post will be allowed which is a way to increase turnout.

There is even talk that the results of the Nov election won't be settled at the ballot box but in court which is never a good thing. They already went through that in 2000 with Bush vs Gore. The infamous recount.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 30 Apr 20, at 00:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Info on vaccines from Dr. Jerome Kim, the Director General of the International Vaccine Institute

He explains the different vaccine testing phases here. But there is one group he didn't mention that can move faster and if they're lucky could have a vaccine by September

In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead | NYT | Apr 27 2020

Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a head start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans.

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.

Now, they have received promising news suggesting that it might.

Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test.
    Whoop! Whoop!

The institute’s effort against the coronavirus uses a technology that centers on altering the genetic code of a familiar virus.

A classic vaccine uses a weakened version of a virus to trigger an immune response.

But in the technology that the institute is using, a different virus is modified first to neutralize its effects and then to make it mimic the one scientists seek to stop — in this case, the virus that causes Covid-19.

Injected into the body, the harmless impostor can induce the immune system to fight and kill the targeted virus, providing protection.
    When you hear these stories about bio lab in Wuhan, the description here seems to fit into what they were doing. Modifying known corona virus to study it.

Professor Hill has worked with that technology for decades to try to tweak a respiratory virus found in chimpanzees in order to elicit a human immune response against malaria and other diseases. Over the last 20 years, the institute has conducted more than 70 clinical trials of potential vaccines against the parasite that causes malaria. None have yet yielded a successful inoculation.
    The safety has been proven before so they can move faster to the next phases

The institute last week began a Phase I clinical trial involving 1,100 people. Crucially, next month it will begin a combined Phase II and Phase III trial involving another 5,000. Unlike any other vaccine project now underway, that trial is designed to prove effectiveness as well as safety.

The scientists would declare victory if as many as a dozen participants who are given a placebo become sick with Covid-19 compared with only one or two who receive the inoculation. “Then we have a party and tell the world,” Professor Hill said. Everyone who had received only the placebo would also be vaccinated immediately.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 30 Apr 20, at 06:47.

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    so much for the Sweden model.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-things-wrong

At 43 deaths per 100,000, Sweden’s mortality rate is among the highest globally and far exceeds that of neighboring Denmark and Norway, which imposed much tougher lockdowns at the onset of the pandemic.

“Clearly, there is potential for improvement in what we have done in Sweden,” Tegnell said.

What’s more, there’s so far limited evidence that Sweden’s decision to leave much of its society open will support the economy. Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson recently warned that Sweden is facing its worst economic crisis since World War II, with GDP set to slump 7% in 2020, roughly as much as the rest of the EU.
    here's one expert who did even worse than Redfield.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Shue View Post
    It struck Spain heavily but in the end it remains one of the best European countries to live in. I guess that due to Covid-19 local prices for real estate will go down and in the next several months they will regain their position so it is high time to make property purchases in case you have free cash of course. Torrevieja still offers great value for money. Just look at these awesome offers https://virtoproperty.com/property-f...nte/torrevieja
    Last year I had a business trip to Torrevieja. I must admit that this place is second to none in terms of climate, architecture and nature.

Thread Information