the I hate phone solicitors club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Surprised you're still using landline. Cell maybe too techie but I rather not be paying two bills for the same service.
    I still have mine. You said a while ago cell is only as good as field radio.

This is true, voice quality over a land line is ten times better.

A good part of the reason i think is the mouthpiece faces you as opposed to the ground. It's a lot bigger as well compared to the tiny mic in a cell phone.

How to fix this ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	retro.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1478672

There is another important reason. My country has a tendency to block mobile connections when there is unrest.

Guess what, the landlines rarely go because the govt uses them : )

Never happened to date in my state but you never know.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 09 Mar 20,, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderful Plans View Post
      What matters is that I won't be carrying around a location device with me. Hackers can get all the numbers out of your phone book, remote control your phone, activate your camera and microphone... its a spies dream. I can't wait to get rid of mine. I will check my messages on a real answering machine when I go home, not retrieve them from a monitored spy network through a second phone number. I think its a great idea. The only people who would oppose are accessing my phone remotely right now.
      You can turn location off and there is even ways to remove that history from your google settings.

Disable receive MMS in your SMS app. That will reduce the likelihood of getting hacked.

Only download apps from the designated vendors app stores. Not stuff people send you or off the web.

The only time people want to hack you is if you are into the following

- nuclear proliferation
      - terrorism
      - spy for another country

Anything else you ain't worth it. Govts have their resource constraints too.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 09 Mar 20,, 22:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        I still have mine. You said a while ago cell is only as good as field radio.
        Come to think of it, I lied. I do have a landline. It came as part of a take it or leave it internet package. I didn't plug a phone into it and I don't even know its number. Wonder how many telemarketers tried to call that line? Cell phone is just more convient when I'm out of the house in the field or at the barn when #1 Daughter calls.
        Chimo

Comment

Same here. If you want internet then you have to get a landline.

I only used it after the hurricane. It still worked, all cell phone towers were destroyed.

Of course you must have an old anolog phone that doesn't require power. I dug one out of my box of old jarhead crap. A cheap $5.00 phone from back in the 1990s that I used as a range phone. (secondary means of comm with range control stuff)

So its a good backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Same here. If you want internet then you have to get a landline.

I only used it after the hurricane. It still worked, all cell phone towers were destroyed.
            Your landline must be underground in conduits. The poles i saw along the road in some of your photos must be for electricity.

There is something interesting here.

Twisted pair is need for a voice call.

But only one wire is needed for DSL : )

You might not get a dial tone but if one wire is good then internet works !!!

Counter intuitive but whatever.

Email via landline is how i informed family back in India that I was ok shortly after 9/11 occurred.

They had no idea what i was talking about at the time.

All voice call lines in NYC were completely jammed that day.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 10 Mar 20,, 02:57.

Comment

Working...
            X