Smith & Wesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith & Wesson

Any thoughts on this gun manufacturer? Got some advice on S&W pistols for personal defense, home defense and public concealment? I am going to purchase a pistol this year. Would you purchase this brand or some other brand?

Thanks in advance.
    Hit the grape lethally.

A company with a proud history and has made some great guns in the past. So not as good as they where, but sadly that is the case for almost all of the manufacturers.
    What type of pistol/revolver are you in the market for? Target, hunting, plinking, carry or home defense? Experience level any physical limitations may also come into play in a recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
      A company with a proud history and has made some great guns in the past. So not as good as they where, but sadly that is the case for almost all of the manufacturers.
      What type of pistol/revolver are you in the market for? Target, hunting, plinking, carry or home defense? Experience level any physical limitations may also come into play in a recommendation.
      No physical limitations. Lethal not cannonlike. Short barrel, easy to conceal in a coat or waist apparatus. Manual load, no cartridges or magazines. Something you wouldn't bring to a roadblock shootout. Home defense, personal protection.

If the pistol must be vintage because all the manufacturers are making junk now then I won't mind the search requirements. Model numbers that fit this outline that you know of is good enough, leaving out models known to malfunction.
      Last edited by Wonderful Plans; 06 Mar 20,, 21:57.
      Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

So a small or medium sized revolver 2”-4” barrel? Budget?
        Last edited by surfgun; 06 Mar 20,, 21:58.

Comment

This is a good multi purpose piece.
          https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-combat-magnum

Comment

Thats a good start. I didnt think of the website. I always think gunshop. $900 for that? I imagine other small pistols should be around the same price.
            Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

Nowadays semi automatic pistols cost less than revolvers. That is full retail. No one pays that.
              To learn and get used to such revolver it also accepts mild .38 Special cartridges, then one you get more experienced you can step up to loading it with .357’s.

Comment

Nowadays semi automatic pistols cost less than revolvers. That is full retail. No one pays that.
                To learn and get used to such revolver it also accepts mild .38 Special cartridges, then one you get more experienced you can step up to loading it with .357’s.
                Yeah I was thinking something vintage, without all the new safety mechanisms and all that. One simple safety pin is good enough. You want your gun accessible for quick use not inside a fingertrap with a code and a lock or whatever. I will check out the site and the local shops. I just wanted a good idea of what I should before I go out to make my purchase.
                Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT
                  Restate this requirement.
                  What is your intended meaning?

While it was probably not your intended meaning, "manual load, no cartridges" implies use of something like a Ruger Single Action Army black powder revolver, which is not easily concealed and would not be among the good choices fore personal defense.
                  I would like to load the bullets one at a time instead of sliding a cartridge into the butt of the gun.
                  Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

You are confusing a cartridge for a magazine.
                    A cartridge is a metallic case, the primer, charge and bullet.
                    Last edited by surfgun; 07 Mar 20,, 00:53.

Comment

I need to learn my terminology. I was under the assumption that a cartridge was similar to a magazine but side loaded instead of end loaded.
                      Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

This may help.
                        https://www.handgunsafetycourse.com/...099_700077850/

Comment

I already took gun safety courses years ago. I suppose they'll make me do it once again but thanks anyway for the uh... aid.
                          Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

I posted the link for the content of listing the names of components of pistols to help with you nomenclature.

Comment

I posted the link for the content of listing the names of components of pistols to help with you nomenclature.
                              Thanks. Choosing the right pistol is a careful process. I was hoping for more responses. I should've anticipated that you would respond to this thread since your avatar is of a gun, funny that I didn't even think of that.
                              Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

Working...
                              X