No announcement yet.

The Army Should Rid Itself Of Symbols Of Treason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh FFS....even NASCAR is ahead of the US Army!

And I see one driver is quitting over the ban on Confederate symbols.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...iver-quit.html

I guess he is acting just like a Confederate.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
      Stuart wrote the book on force reccee behind enemy lines.
      No Sir.

Early war before the US forces gained experience....okay. But by midwar that no longer applied. And what did his Ride Around McClellan accomplish in 1862? Nothing. McClellan still got to the gates of Richmond. Same for Gettysburg in 1863. Union cavalry found the enemy first and defined the decisive terrain for the fight.

He failed to gain any usable intelligence for Lee from Gettysburg onward. He failed to find the entire Union Vth Corps at Bristoe Station resulting in Hill's Corps being smashed. He failed to detect the VIth Corps preparations to attack at Rappahanock Station which resulted in Lee losing almost 2 brigades.

If you want an example which the US followed from mid-1863 onward you need to look at Phil Sheridan. His employment of the AOP's Cavalry Corps in the Valley 64 and Petersburg 65 was how Cavalry needed to fight.

And the best use of a behind the lines of cavalry was by Benjamin Grierson's brilliant campaign by his brigade in support of the Vicksburg Campaign. It had a huge impact on the outcome of that campaign.
      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        No Sir.
        I so stand corrected and yield to superior intellect.
        Chimo

Comment

GOP Senate SASC adopted amendment for Army to change the names...in 3 years.

which essentially gives the Army Secretary the political cover to do so once DJT is kicked out of office.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
            I so stand corrected and yield to superior intellect.
            Not superior intellect Sir.

Just area of expertise. I am a no kidding American Civil War historian.

But when it comes to the IJA in Manchuria and strategic level considerations of the Cold War you are my Go To guy.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              So you didn't get taught about John Bell Hood's glorious victories at Franklin & Nashville, when the foolish General Thomas pointlessly smashed his army against Confederate defences until it was all but destroyed?

Nothing says 'freedom, victory & winning' like a guy who suffered one of the biggest defeats of the war in the name of being able to own other humans as if they were cattle. Sad thing is that plenty of his supporters will just blindly agree.
              LOL, clearly I am out of touch with things but know enough to leave dinosaurs alone. Here is another comparison to history that I missed.

"Milley’s comments Thursday were his first public statements about the walk with Trump, which the White House has hailed as a presidential “leadership moment” akin to Winston Churchill inspecting damage from German bombs in London during World War II."

Winston Churchill now. My soul for a BB gun as I got one big balloon to burst. Sadly it's explosion would probably take out the Northeast.

Winston is probably cursing that he is half American right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                LOL, clearly I am out of touch with things but know enough to leave dinosaurs alone. Here is another comparison to history that I missed.

"Milley’s comments Thursday were his first public statements about the walk with Trump, which the White House has hailed as a presidential “leadership moment” akin to Winston Churchill inspecting damage from German bombs in London during World War II."

Winston Churchill now. My soul for a BB gun as I got one big balloon to burst. Sadly it's explosion would probably take out the Northeast.

Meanwhile the Brits are defacing Churchill's statue because he was racist. Time for Trump and America to adopt him and grant him posthumous American citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                  Meanwhile the Brits are defacing Churchill's statue because he was racist. Time for Trump and America to adopt him and grant him posthumous American citizenship.
                  Already done. Churchill was made the very first honorary citizen of the United States back in 1963.
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                    While that maybe true I'm sure Trump has zero clue as to that since Trump has acknowledge he has zero clue about history. Nonetheless, he steered Britain through her darkest times so credit due for that. What has Trump done that matches?

So in the prism of him walking to a Church, where Americans had to be cleared out of his way, and equate that with Churchill inspecting bomb damage with Brits walking along, and saying the comparison is the same....

Well, I can't quite come up with the right word to describe that.

Comment

Doesn't matter when Churchill eventually gets unpersoned and dropped in with the rest of history. If you don't think it's possible, the British academic institution has already begun the process of unpersoning Gladstone, who is recognized as one of the greatest British Prime Ministers in history. American Academia aims to do the same with Andrew Jackson and Woodrow Wilson.

There is an increasingly vocal movement to unperson US Grant, because he was rather anti-semitic during the war. Lincoln checked his worst impulses and he did his best to repent afterwards, but that doesn't matter to the Unperson movements.

You don't really get to decide where the pox goes after you open up Pandora's Box. It just goes where it will.
                      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

meh, the "cancel" culture thing only goes so far.

like Teddy Roosevelt got some of the ire, but he gets nothing compared to what Woodrow Wilson got-- which makes sense, because Wilson was a vile, outright racist POS.

haven't heard about US Grant getting it, because he's so far back in the past and relatively inconsequential as a President.

Churchill has always gotten some ire because Churchill was very much a proud imperialist. the British left has always hated him because he was so proud of it, and it never hurt his post-war canonization much.

and it's not as if this is only a left phenomena. the right dumps on FDR, although to make their dumping "acceptable" they castigate his internment of Japanese-Americans (although I note that immediately post 9-11 certain figures were calling on Bush to emulate this).

the world goes on.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

There are actually some Churchill/Trump comparisons that hold up. Both could bloated, ambitious, self important bigots who could be contemptuous of allies and horrifically incompetent. The list of error's in Churchill's career is truly epic. Of course, Churchill was a personally courageous man who volunteered for military service and willingly put himself at risk as a journalist. He also spent decades in government and made some spectacularly good and important decisions.

Bonespurs has some of Churchill's worst qualities and none of his good ones.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I do not agree with defacing or vandalising monuments by crowds in general. First because it is vandalism and if you let that happen then someone's home may be next. If an elected authority wishes to remove a statue or monument and has the jurisdiction fine - they can be voted out again if people don't like it.

Nor do I think it is necessarily valid to remove a statue based only the cultural ethics of today's standards. I am not saying slavery in any form is acceptable or morally 'right' but to judge historical figures by our own current day cultural and ethical norms is comparing apples and oranges. Pericles was a great Athenian democrat in his day but Athens in his time did not allow women to vote and kept slaves. Does that make Pericles less 'great'? Not in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                              meh, the "cancel" culture thing only goes so far.

like Teddy Roosevelt got some of the ire, but he gets nothing compared to what Woodrow Wilson got-- which makes sense, because Wilson was a vile, outright racist POS.

haven't heard about US Grant getting it, because he's so far back in the past and relatively inconsequential as a President.

Churchill has always gotten some ire because Churchill was very much a proud imperialist. the British left has always hated him because he was so proud of it, and it never hurt his post-war canonization much.

and it's not as if this is only a left phenomena. the right dumps on FDR, although to make their dumping "acceptable" they castigate his internment of Japanese-Americans (although I note that immediately post 9-11 certain figures were calling on Bush to emulate this).

the world goes on.
                              Your Vox Man Yglesias is throwing out Straussian posts indicating that the Vocal Left, while still small, is dramatically stronger than it used to be and getting exponentially stronger.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do know that based on what we have collectively seen in the last 15 years, none of us should be outright ruling out possibilities 15 years from now. Just for starters, you've seen 2 once-a-century depressions. In 15 years.
                              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                                Agreed. And that's what we have museums and such for.

U.S. Army installations should commemorate men contributed to the history/legacy of the United States Army AND who stayed loyal to the United States of America.

Change Fort Lee to Fort Grant.

Change Fort Hood to Fort Sheridan.

Change Fort Bragg to Fort Sherman.
                                No offense,but this is not inclusive,with a hint of possible racism.Only dead white dudes,that were also racists and insensitive towards POC's,Jews and other minorities.
                                Those who know don't speak
                                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Working...
                                X