The Army Should Rid Itself Of Symbols Of Treason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    Some may or may not find this interesting about the former USCGC Taney.
    https://www.pilotonline.com/nation-w...z3e-story.html
    Its namesake served as chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court and delivered the majority opinion in the 1857 Dred Scott v. Sandford case, which asserted that free Black people and enslaved persons were not U.S. citizens at the time of the country’s founding and had no pathway to citizenship and no rights.

The ship will, at least for now, be referred to by its hull identification WHEC 37, which stands for high endurance cutter, according to the foundation. The Taney name already has been removed from the ship’s stern.

“To preserve the proud naval heritage of the ship and honor all who served aboard during its 50 years of service, the Coast Guard recommends referring to the vessel by its hull classification symbol of (WHEC 37) per standard Coast Guard cutter designation,” said Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride in an email.

Can't say I'm all that broken up by this.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if CVN-70 and CVN-74 are next up for the axe.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Then also what about the Space Center?
      https://www.nasa.gov/centers/stennis/home/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
        Then also what about the Space Center?
        https://www.nasa.gov/centers/stennis/home/index.html
        One will depend on the DoN, the other will depend on NASA I suppose.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          [I]
          On the other hand, I'm wondering if CVN-70 and CVN-74 are next up for the axe.
          Wouldn't be a problem if the Navy had stayed true to historical standards in naming carriers. Consequently I see no reason why those two Senators should have EVER had a carrier named after them.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            Wouldn't be a problem if the Navy had stayed true to historical standards in naming carriers. Consequently I see no reason why those two Senators should have EVER had a carrier named after them.
            Agreed! Traditionally naming is so easy. Sec Nav”s need to clean this mess up!

Comment

• “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Found myself in Richmond yesterday and took a quick spin down Monument Avenue.

Wow!!! Very different but very cool!
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs weighs in....https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/polit...ses/index.html
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• The graphics in this 538 piece shouldn't surprise anyone who is informed on the issue of Confederate monuments, but the information is well illustrated & detailed.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...erate-statues/
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                      The graphics in this 538 piece shouldn't surprise anyone who is informed on the issue of Confederate monuments, but the information is well illustrated & detailed.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...erate-statues/
                      Yeah, Pete. Jaw dropping it ain't....
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        Yeah, Pete. Jaw dropping it ain't....
                        Well, it was the first time I found out how few of these monuments went up before 1900. My jaw has since adjusted, and reserves drops for Americans who either don't know about this or ignore it 'becuz heritage'.

How many nations are there where a whole segment of the population insists that opposing the wholesale memorialization of traitors is unpatriotic?
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, it was the first time I found out how few of these monuments went up before 1900. My jaw has since adjusted, and reserves drops for Americans who either don't know about this or ignore it 'becuz heritage'.

How many nations are there where a whole segment of the population insists that opposing the wholesale memorialization of traitors is unpatriotic?
                          I guess having learned this in grad school in the early 1990s had made me inured to it.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

You and me versus all the Indians on this board. Bose and India.

Aside from that, the Scots and the Irish don't have a soft spot for England. I can't count how many times traitors got popularized in the Turkic/Mongol Khanates. Same can be said for pre-Crusade Europe. The CCP is now lionizing the NRA for their acts in WWII. Tito is remembered fondly in all the FYR.

Then, there is Africa. Hutus and Tustsis still believe they've done nothing wrong, 2nd Congo War ain't really finished.

Actually, not that hard if you can stomache reading about the worst of humanity.
                            Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                              You and me versus all the Indians on this board. Bose and India.

Aside from that, the Scots and the Irish don't have a soft spot for England. I can't count how many times traitors got popularized in the Turkic/Mongol Khanates. Same can be said for pre-Crusade Europe. The CCP is now lionizing the NRA for their acts in WWII. Tito is remembered fondly in all the FYR.

Then, there is Africa. Hutus and Tustsis still believe they've done nothing wrong, 2nd Congo War ain't really finished.

Actually, not that hard if you can stomache reading about the worst of humanity.
                              I'm not sure how many of these examples are really apposite - of the ones I understand in any detail at least.

Bose died before an independent Indian state came into being. If he was a traitor it was to a British entity that no longer existed. If there were statues of Chandra Bose erected in the UK and demandnig that they be removed were deemed 'unpatriotic' then that would be a decent comparison.

I'm not sure what specific examples you had in mind with the Scots, Irish & Khanates, or Congo, but I'm pretty sure the CCP would have been the ones deemed 'traitors' in the context of the time. They were the insurgents who overthrew the government. I'm also not sure how Tito qualifies as a 'traitor' relative to modern rump Yugoslavia. Maybe to any remaining supporters of the NDH, but they hardly count.

There are no doubt a few statues here & there around the world of people who rebelled against the nation's government - Cromwell is an example, though he actually took over - but I can't think of any situation comparable to the hundreds upon hundreds of Confederate monuments/memorializations all over the US (including in Union states). I also can't think of an easy comparison to the idea that challenging that widespread memorialization is somehow 'unpatriotic'.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Plenty of Lenins left and he was a 'rebel'.

Comment

Working...
                                X