Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
    joe,
    you in Jacksonville? if so, you're in a relatively safe spot (for Florida). southern Florida is about to get slammed hard.

i have a friend of mine working in Brazil right now. Brazil is one, at most two weeks away from turning into a complete sh*tshow. I am seriously afraid for her.
    I am indeed. I used to live in SW Florida until 2011 then moved up here to take a new job.

I'm reminded of a great book that detailed what an invasion of Japan would've looked like back in WWII. It was called Hell To Pay

I can't think of a more apt description for the next several weeks.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      Great odds for her if she is but not absolute as we are now seeing.
      We're all playing the odds. National Guardsmen being deployed to hot zones. Front line health workers. However, most of the younger deaths have been identified with existing issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. She can increase those odds even more. Dollar Store coveralls and dust masks and protective eyeware, You might like like something from War of the Worlds but you increase the olds ten fold.
      Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
        We're all playing the odds. National Guardsmen being deployed to hot zones. Front line health workers. However, most of the younger deaths have been identified with existing issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. She can increase those odds even more. Dollar Store coveralls and dust masks and protective eyeware, You might like like something from War of the Worlds but you increase the olds ten fold.
        and then there is this

Coronavirus: 101-year-old man in Italy recovers from Covid-19 | India Today | Mar 27 2020

Comment

However, most of the younger deaths have been identified with existing issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.
          Deaths aren't the issue with those younger. If a patient enters ICU and ends up on a ventilator there could be long term damage, after they leave, from both the virus and the ventilator which is forcing oxygen into the lungs. We don't know that yet. Intubation, probably needed, could also cause damage in and of itself to the trachea. I know of that well as that forced me to take my father off life support a year ago and I now know more. So, if they leave with 20, 30 percent possible decrease in their lung capacity, how would one feel about that for the rest of their lives possibly? How much risk would a person accept not knowing if short term or long term.

Comment

• Is she young and healthy?
            yes, but this is Brazil we're talking about. the second-order effects are going to hit -a lot- harder than in the US.

i expect to see a pretty big uptick in crime in the favelas spreading outwards as supply chains get interrupted.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
              So, if they leave with 20, 30 percent possible decrease in their lung capacity, how would one feel about that for the rest of their lives possibly? How much risk would a person accept not knowing if short term or long term.
              They don't have a say. It's not like they asked to be infected. But once infected, they either fight for their lives and live with the results ... or don't. If anyone wants to be 100% guarranteed not to be infected, then man a machine gun nest behind a minefield protecting your bunker that is surrouneded by an alligator filled moat. Otherwise, accept the risk of 99% that your health would not change ... if you don't do anything stupid.
              Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 02 Apr 20,, 01:11.
              Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                yes, but this is Brazil we're talking about. the second-order effects are going to hit -a lot- harder than in the US.

i expect to see a pretty big uptick in crime in the favelas spreading outwards as supply chains get interrupted.
                I strongly suggest that she burns through a 1000 rounds as quick as possible to gain/regain marksmanship and keep another 10,000 at home.
                Chimo

Comment

• Dr Fauci dumbdowns the science behind all the politics

Chimo

Comment

Read the entire thing.
                    I did. 'Herd immunity' is a theory not proven. They killed 4.4 million cattle in the UK to stop BSE (mad cow disease). If 'herd immunity' does not work (it may or may not) the whole species dies. You want to take that risk with your children and mine?
                    Last edited by snapper; 02 Apr 20,, 09:52.

Comment

• ^ Don't know if your data of killing 4.4 million cattle is correct, I assume it is. That is food you're talking about. The same thing goes on with broilers every year. Every single one within a radius of 2 Kms are culled, if 1 farm is found infected with bird flu. If not, they would spread. This is done to limit the contagion. This is not about herd immunity.
                      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• BSE is a poor analogy to most diseases as it is not a virus and there is little to no evidence that it is transmissible in conventional ways. BSE is transmitted via consumption of an infected animal - in particular the brain or spinal matter. Cows can't give it to each other or to humans unless one consumes the other. This is also true of Kuru, a similar disease in humans that is only transmitted by eating parts of infected people. Cows in the UK only got the disease because dead cows & sheep (who had a similar virus) were ground up and fed back to cows. A triumph of poor regulation & industrial farming.

The reason for the mass slaughter of cows in the UK was: 1) to stop people eating infected meat (177 deaths so far); and 2) to protect the British cattle industry from export bans by nations who didn't want their citizens dying from eating British cattle. Transmission to cows was prevented simply by stopping the practice of feeding them other dead cows & sheep.
                        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                          I did. 'Herd immunity' is a theory not proven. They killed 4.4 million cattle in the UK to stop BSE (mad cow disease). If 'herd immunity' does not work (it may or may not) the whole species dies. You want to take that risk with your children and mine?
                          So you want to machine gun anyone who is sick? Newsflash. Your kids are safe. Zero deaths in the 0-9 years old age group. Talking about stupid.
                          Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 02 Apr 20,, 13:58.
                          Chimo

Comment

• Anthony Fauci To Receive More Personal Security After Threats

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert and one of the main scientific touchstones amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, will receive increased personal security protection after getting threats and unwelcome messages due to his leading role in the nation’s fight against the novel coronavirus.

Both The Washington Post and The New York Times reported late Wednesday that Fauci, 79, had been granted enhanced security by the Department of Health and Human Services. The shift comes as Fauci has issued increasingly dire warnings urging Americans to practice social distancing and that the worst is yet to come even after weeks of instability both at home and abroad.

“Yesterday, upon the recommendation of the U.S. Marshals Service, the department approved the special deputization request from H.H.S. for nine ... special agents to provide protective services for Dr. Fauci,” the Justice Department said in a statement to the Times.

It’s unclear what type of threats Fauci has received, although he has already become a target for right-wing conspiracy theories. But Alex Azar, the HHS secretary who has his own detail, has reportedly grown concerned about the rise in Fauci’s profile in recent weeks.

The doctor has managed to maintain the president’s support even though he has to regularly interject and temper Trump’s statements on topics including the timeline for any type of coronavirus vaccine.

On Tuesday, Fauci warned that between 100,000 and 240,000 people in the U.S. could die even if current guidelines are maintained, a figure that sent shockwaves through the president’s plans to “open up” the country by Easter. Trump ultimately extended social distancing measures 30 days until the end of April.

More than 216,000 people have been infected with the virus in the U.S. and deaths have surged past 4,600, with some officials comparing the pandemic’s effects in America to those seen several weeks ago in Italy.

“We are continuing to see things go up,” Fauci said Tuesday. “We cannot be discouraged by that because the mitigation is actually working and will work.”

The fact-checking of the president and his dire predictions have already resulted in online trolls falsely claiming that Fauci is part of the “deep state” working to undermine the administration.

Fauci declined to speak about the increased protection during a press briefing on Wednesday, but Trump interjected to say the doctor didn’t “need security.”

“Everybody loves him,” Trump said.

Trump Derangement Syndrome strikes again.

“Everybody loves him,” Trump said. Except your base Donnie. Because he regularly contradicts you and shows what a clueless danger you are to the country, and we can't have that now can we.
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Zero deaths in the 0-9 years old age group.
                              not any more, there's been documented deaths among infants from COVID.

but still a minuscule risk compared to the other age groups.
                              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• ^ How are you all (Americans) managing food (groceries, meat, veggies etc) in this lockdown? Stocked up or online ordering?
                                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Working...
                                X