COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JRT View Post
    And for the many that will require more trips to the food retailers, increasing customer's exposure to risk of infection.
    Blame the people who hoarded. Here the product limits have meant that people can at least buy items that simply weren't on the shelves. Many of those people were already making multiple trips to multiple stores in an attempt to find items that simply weren't on shelves. Some of those things are still difficult/impossible to find, but things are improving, which will mean fewer shopping trips. The limits are only on certain items, so most things people need are easily available.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      Those are all excellent suggestions, and I should probably learn some self-sufficiency skills....like cooking.
      Cooking is incredibly easy provided you don't want to get too fancy. You can make very filling & nutritious rice or pasta based dishes with minimal skill. Even better, you can freeze anything you don't eat. I currently have 4 dinners in the fridge that were cooked weeks ago - 2 pasta, 2 rice. I reheat one of each per week, get takeaway one night & then prepare meals other nights. Next weekend I'll do a few big cook ups & fill the freezer again.

If I remember I'll put some recipies in the cooking thread.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Did you catch the bottom of the very last page which was another study on how long the influenza virus could remain viable on a mask? Obviously reusing is questionable.
        Yeah, this is why i'm sticking to use & throw surgical. The ones i have i don't think have even been sterilized.

Another kind i see people use are cloth masks they just wash and reuse.

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        The reuse of filtering facepiece respirators (FFRs) after decontamination has been suggested as a strat-egy to conserve supplies during an influenza pan-demic. The feasibility of decontaminating FFRs has been investigated under laboratory conditions; how-ever, the need for decontamination of FFRs is not well characterized. In this study the potential for FFRs to act as fomites was examined using bacteriophage MS2. Virus was applied to FFR coupons as an aerosol or liquid drops and stored at 22°C and 30% relative hu-midity. Viability of the virus was monitored every 24 hours from 1 to 5 days with a final sampling occurring on day 10. At least 10% of the initial MS2 load was able to survive for 4 days on the FFR coupons regard-less of the deposition method. All coupons contained detectable levels of MS2 on the tenth day.
        One idea is to spray it with 70% IPA. But this will weaken the glue.

Another idea is to leave it in the sun. But it needs to left there for hours like all day long. Zapping it in a microwave could be quicker but nobody has tried that.

Unless you have a box of them, surgical is all there is left or the use and wash bandana
        Last edited by Double Edge; 03 Apr 20,, 00:56.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
          yes, but this is Brazil we're talking about. the second-order effects are going to hit -a lot- harder than in the US.

i expect to see a pretty big uptick in crime in the favelas spreading outwards as supply chains get interrupted.
          You made me think of this : )

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            Cooking is incredibly easy provided you don't want to get too fancy. You can make very filling & nutritious rice or pasta based dishes with minimal skill. Even better, you can freeze anything you don't eat. I currently have 4 dinners in the fridge that were cooked weeks ago - 2 pasta, 2 rice. I reheat one of each per week, get takeaway one night & then prepare meals other nights. Next weekend I'll do a few big cook ups & fill the freezer again.

+ give him some easy recipes to start with, like say omelette or scrambled eggs, and if he has an oven then making his own bread (yeast needed). A neighbourhood cow can get him fresh milk everyday, provided he can milk them. :D

Donald Trump casts doubt on Chinese coronavirus figures
            Last edited by Oracle; 03 Apr 20,, 01:16.
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Oh I know I can cook, I certainly wouldn't starve. I've just never particularly enjoyed meal preparation at all.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Oh I know I can cook, I certainly wouldn't starve. I've just never particularly enjoyed meal preparation at all.
                Wait. A man who doesn't like to BBQ?
                Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  ^ How are you all (Americans) managing food (groceries, meat, veggies etc) in this lockdown? Stocked up or online ordering?
                  By going to the grocery store. Except for lines of tape six feet apart at the entrance and at the registers, and queues to regulate the number of people in the store at any one time, grocery stores are fully open. We can still walk into restaurants that have chosen to remain open to get takeout.

Except for not having much to do or anywhere to go on the weekends, my life hasn't really changed at all. Pretty much the same daily routine and workload as before, I just don't go to the bar on the weekends.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                    Wait. A man who doesn't like to BBQ?
                    Unlike cooking in a kitchen, BBQ is more of a sport than a chore.

Comment

With the range of frozen foods available, you certainly won't starve. Had I that choice of frozen foods, I'd have stock up on those. But yeah, if you want to eat good food, you should know how to cook.
                      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        By going to the grocery store. Except for lines of tape six feet apart at the entrance and at the registers, and queues to regulate the number of people in the store at any one time, grocery stores are fully open. We can still walk into restaurants that have chosen to remain open to get takeout.

Except for not having much to do or anywhere to go on the weekends, my life hasn't really changed at all. Pretty much the same daily routine and workload as before, I just don't go to the bar on the weekends.
                        You still out on the field for work? Take care man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          You still out on the field for work? Take care man.
                          It's not too bad out here. CA has twice the population of NY, yet only about 1/10 the number of deaths and confirmed cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                            It's not too bad out here. CA has twice the population of NY, yet only about 1/10 the number of deaths and confirmed cases.
                            WTH are you doing in San Diego my home town?

Comment

Blame the people who hoarded. Here the product limits have meant that people can at least buy items that simply weren't on the shelves. Many of those people were already making multiple trips to multiple stores in an attempt to find items that simply weren't on shelves. Some of those things are still difficult/impossible to find, but things are improving, which will mean fewer shopping trips. The limits are only on certain items, so most things people need are easily available.
                              Just got back from a large discount market but not a CostCo. The entire canned tomato section was empty of everything except Hunts 303 can diced tomatoes, Hunts 303 can of sauce, 303 can of puree, and 2 2/5 can of sauce. Basically 4 1/2 shelves out of five empty. As for chicken only the most expensive was available which is skinless and boneless so the hell with that. Vegetables fine, milk fine, eggs at a minimum at 1830 hours. That is all I looked at but notice lots of other empty slots in the store.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                                WTH are you doing in San Diego my home town?
                                Been out here for 17 months now. I do most of my work for a company that operates nationwide. I can move on a whim and let them know afterward that I'm available for work in a new area. Any metro of decent size should generally have enough work.

Been thinking about Chicago, affordable rents and lots of financial services companies, who are our biggest clients. San Diego has nice weather, but on the downside it's low density, very spread out geographically, has a rather underdeveloped downtown for a metro this size, isn't big on financial companies, and has no bikeshare programs. As far as CA goes, I'd rather be in San Francisco than San Diego, if I could afford it. I'd never consider LA.
                                Last edited by Ironduke; 03 Apr 20,, 04:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X