COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kato View Post
    We have that now, although on a less serious level.

Green Zone => regular state
    Yellow Zone => warning state, increase testing
    Red Zone => lockdown re-activated

Zones are political-district-based, i.e. full political entities with about 100,000-500,000 people each with no further subdivision.

The border line between Green and Yellow is 35 new infections per 100,000 citizens within last 7 days, between Yellow and Red it's 50 new infections per 100,000 citizens within last 7 days. The numbers on these border lines have to be seen in the context of the pandemic at its height spawning around 200-250 new infections per 100,000 citizens per week (which is where the US is now), and that that scheme was enacted when we fell behind the curve peak and went to around 25 average per 100k per week.
    India did that since the start of May, IIRC, the color coding, and here too it is district wise. I am not sure about the infection numbers needed for orange and red zones, although green zones mean no present infection. The best bet is orange/red zones depend upon infection numbers that the state governments think could be controlled or has to be contained.

Do remember, we neither have the means (money-wise), nor the health infrastructure needed to test a billion+ people and not go bankrupt of some sort. Lockdown/quarantine is what has worked for us, and will continue until the spread of Covid-19 is contained.

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    I'm not the one in charge. All I can point to is that this is not the worst case scenario and we still have options.

Don't know but it should be discussed instead of a blanket rejection. Suggestions of 3000 American dead per day is the price needed to open the economy. If that scares you enough to stay home, then stay home. If the thought of losing your home scares you more, then go find work. It is as simple as that. Either way, it is not painless. You might lose your home or your life. There are huge risks either way.
    Agree.
    Last edited by Oracle; 20 May 20,, 10:15.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• More valuable than an immunity to a virus would be a 'herd immunity' to Trumps lies.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
        We have that now, although on a less serious level.

Green Zone => regular state
        Yellow Zone => warning state, increase testing
        Red Zone => lockdown re-activated

Zones are political-district-based, i.e. full political entities with about 100,000-500,000 people each with no further subdivision.

The border line between Green and Yellow is 35 new infections per 100,000 citizens within last 7 days, between Yellow and Red it's 50 new infections per 100,000 citizens within last 7 days. The numbers on these border lines have to be seen in the context of the pandemic at its height spawning around 200-250 new infections per 100,000 citizens per week (which is where the US is now), and that that scheme was enacted when we fell behind the curve peak and went to around 25 average per 100k per week.
        The way ours work is as a function of incidence of cases, doubling rate, extent of testing and surveillance feedback to classify the districts.

A district will be considered Green, if there are no confirmed cases so far or there are no reported cases in the last 21 days in the district.

Orange means few cases and Red means more cases. No figures mentioned. At the discretion of the local administration.

What's happening of late in cities is contained ward or not. Red or not. Allows them to go more granular and close residences at the building level. A cluster happens in an area just that area gets closed.

In my city just one case is enough to get the ward (city council administrative unit) contained for up to a month to do further testing. If more cases are found they delay the re-opening by a few more days. So far three quarters of the city have yet to report even one case. Some wards mostly where the workers live have many cases.

Comment

• But there is burn out.
          it is not that deadly. burn out means it kills so fast that it doesn't have enough time to spread, like ebola.

Or you can use quarrantine.
          for the US, that is not legally practicable. you can't quarantine entire states; that's why there was no real legal challenge to New Yorkers fleeing NYC (and spreading COVID). same thing with the anti-lockdown protesters (whom also spread COVID).

This is the worst. Lessons are learned. Health workers will be screened left, right, and centre. The most vulnerable will be protected up the ying yang.
          in the First World, yes.

that's not going to happen in the Third World or even the Second World. you can't socially distance in slums. look at Brazil -- +16,500 cases over one day (yesterday), and in a population 60% of the size of the US.

what's the state of healthcare facilities in Brazil? some states there have -already- declared medical collapse.

and Brazil is significantly better than Africa.

And as I predicted, Africa neither cares nor noticed ... for a number of reasons.

1) Shorter life spans mean that that they lack a real vulnerable population
          2) Central Africa is too busy getting ready to kill each other to care ... again. The most brutal and deadly war since WWII 2.7 to 5.4 million dead and that's not counting the Rwandan Genocide. Anything about Uganda closing their borders vis-a-vi COVID-19 is hogwash. They've already closed it due to rebel infiltration from Rwanda and getting ready to fight again.
          3) Only Northern Africa and South Africa really have the infrastruture to monitor COVID-19. No one else is putting money into anything.
          4) They went through ebola. This is nothing.
          this assessment is way too early. by the end of the year, I think we're all going to be watching a real different show. for areas on the edge already, this will push them over.

and you're right: COVID itself may not be the deadliest effect. it may cause second and third-order effects such as government collapse, because any shutdown (either government or virus initiated) will cause economies and budgets to go into a tailspin. we can stomach this in the West. I doubt some of those other countries, such as oil-dependent Nigeria, can.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
            for the US, that is not legally practicable. you can't quarantine entire states; that's why there was no real legal challenge to New Yorkers fleeing NYC (and spreading COVID). same thing with the anti-lockdown protesters (whom also spread COVID).
            What about individual people though. People arriving in the country in March were told to self-isolate but there was no follow up or any legal requirement that they remain quarantined. So they went out and mixed with people.

I was also surprised at the tone of the article that discussed contact tracing in the US. There is no legal power available to enforce it at all it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              The way ours work is as a function of incidence of cases, doubling rate, extent of testing and surveillance feedback to classify the districts.

A district will be considered Green, if there are no confirmed cases so far or there are no reported cases in the last 21 days in the district.

Orange means few cases and Red means more cases. No figures mentioned. At the discretion of the local administration.

What's happening of late in cities is contained ward or not. Red or not. Allows them to go more granular and close residences at the building level. A cluster happens in an area just that area gets closed.

In my city just one case is enough to get the ward (city council administrative unit) contained for up to a month to do further testing. If more cases are found they delay the re-opening by a few more days. So far three quarters of the city have yet to report even one case. Some wards mostly where the workers live have many cases.
              You explained it better. Thank you.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Your state isn't showing an increase in cases. Moving average is trending down.

[ATTACH]48633[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]48634[/ATTACH]

Positivity is reducing as a result of that increased testing.

But postivity in VA is twice that of FL so those cases are going to continue until your positivity rate drops further.

Check the testing tab on the website. It took about a month to drop from 22% to 15% so that's how long you can expect to halve it with increased testing and get to FL levels.

What i can't get my head around is how this disease spread so fast in the US ?

Mobility. The faster it is for people to get around the more the prevalence.
                You are ignoring that big gray area....where testing results are not not....and those results are expected to go up. Local news reports this AM confirmed. It's all a result of increase in testing. What also has to be factored in is the SW part of the state had little to no outbreaks and their tests results are figured into that average. But if you look at Tidewater, Richmond Metro & NOVA...where everyone lives...the trend line continues to climb.

And why it spread....because the Federal government refused to take it seriously early enough. Fox News was saying all through JAN-FEB-Early MAR it was all a hoax...just a bad cold. I traveled the weekend 12-15 MAR 20 by plane. No one was taking precautions....my wife and I did. We wore masks and wiped down everything. That is how this spread so fast. It wasn't until the following week that the Federal government changed its tune and things changed.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

it is not that deadly. burn out means it kills so fast that it doesn't have enough time to spread, like ebola.
                  It also means that there is no one else within reach to infect, ie quarrantine.

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  An entire state? That's impractical. The best we can do is a city, ie a seige. But even then, it is not necessary. You can just quarrantine neighbourhoods with outbreaks. This was the practice with the ebola outbreak in Congo cities.

As for legal status, large scale quarrantine precedents was set in the 1918 H1N1 Spanish Flu.

in the First World, yes.

that's not going to happen in the Third World or even the Second World. you can't socially distance in slums. look at Brazil -- +16,500 cases over one day (yesterday), and in a population 60% of the size of the US.
                  Ok, what is the 2nd World? Warsaw Pact is gone.

this assessment is way too early. by the end of the year, I think we're all going to be watching a real different show. for areas on the edge already, this will push them over.

and you're right: COVID itself may not be the deadliest effect. it may cause second and third-order effects such as government collapse, because any shutdown (either government or virus initiated) will cause economies and budgets to go into a tailspin. we can stomach this in the West. I doubt some of those other countries, such as oil-dependent Nigeria, can.
                  Yeah, they ain't going to notice. Between rockets and COVID-19, they're going to choose rockets. No one is stopping the fighting anywhere to control COVID-19
                  Chimo

Comment

what's the state of healthcare facilities in Brazil? some states there have -already- declared medical collapse.

and Brazil is significantly better than Africa.
                    Have been watching Brazil and they are going down the tubes. May even surpass Russia for #2 on the world list in 2 weeks. Brazil is definitely Third World but in being non-alinged, the old definition, and economically, the new definition. Second World made me pause a moment and go wait a minute...

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                      An entire state? That's impractical.
                      Italy factually quarantined a contiguous region of 10 million people. Most US states are smaller than that, population-wise.

Comment

• yeah, i know, when even our board's resident cold war dinosaur is telling me to get with the times...:-)

Brazil's worse than Russia in this regards. Russia is at least doing testing, even if they are fudging the results and pushing doctors out of windows.

Brazil's barely done any testing, and their numbers are -still- insane.

of course Bolsonaro's response to all of this has been to implicitly support the idea of a military takeover. i guess that's one leader that's worse than Trump in this crisis.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Italy factually quarantined a contiguous region of 10 million people. Most US states are smaller than that, population-wise.
                          yes, but that simply won't work in the US, either technically or legally.

far too much leakage given the low population densities outside of the urban areas, anyways, even if it wasn't for the fact that we have a considerable segment of the populace whom think voluntarily wearing masks is an affront to freedom.

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                            2009 H1N1 Pandemic, 66 million Americans infected. We, as in you and me, have been through worst.
                            Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                            No one living has any experience from this. This is all too new.
                            Just out of curiosity, how do you square the former statement with the latter?
                            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                              Just out of curiosity, how do you square the former statement with the latter?
                              We didn't do social distancing and lockdowns back then. The economy was not a factor. Everyone went about their jobs.
                              Chimo

Comment

To date only 2.5k Swedes have died. We can trust their data.
                                If you go to the website for the Swedish Public Health Agency on COVID-19, they're keeping track of statistics on this site:

Covid-19 – statistik med diagram och kartor - Ingång för Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox mfl.

Today you threw out a figure of "2.5k" and tell us we can "trust their data".

That's not their data. Their figure is 3831 deaths officially attributed to COVID-19. Why are you telling us to "trust their data" with a false figure?
                                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
                                X