COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Look at the Chinese and their draconian measures, did that stop millions from being infected inside China?
    Pretty sure its not in 7 figures.

They reported high 5 figures.

Could it be more ? yes

6 figures. Low six figures

Not an order of magnitude more

Unless there is more benign mutation going round there.

L was the deadly one, then it became S. Something else now.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Mar 20,, 20:28.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      Pretty sure its not in 7 figures.

They reported high 5 figures.

Could it be more ? yes

6 figures. Low six figures

Not an order of magnitude more

Unless there is more benign mutation going round there.

L was the deadly one, then it became S. Something else now.
      I was using Eric's arguements. Any extropolation of Chinese data would support my point, not Eric's.
      Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
        edit: currently 414,661 confirmed cases. closed cases -- either you're cured or dead -- 126,845. 18,552, or 15% of closed cases, ended with death.
        This is what I mean by lies, damned lies, and statistics. 414,661 confirmed cases ... out of a population of 7 billion people. Statistics could be twisted for anything. The question has ALWAYS what ARE you doing for your own personal health.

Edit: I like to remind everyone that I am of the vulnerable age bracket.
        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 24 Mar 20,, 20:44.
        Chimo

Comment

I was using Eric's arguements. Any extropolation of Chinese data would support my point, not Eric's.
          I want to say China's draconian measures DID stop millions from being infected in China.

CCP still got slammed for not acting fast enough or doing enough.

When people say China understated numbers they assume worse happened and by extension so will be the case in their own country.

Really ?

Cannot compare China that acted hard if not too late with Italy that acted late
          Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Mar 20,, 20:53.

Comment

I want to say China's draconian measures DID stop millions from being infected in China.
            At 78,000 confirmed cases, it was not quarrantine. It was burned out.
            Chimo

Comment

DE,

if you believe CCP stats...I have a bridge to sell you.
              Number of recovered in China hovers close to 90% of affected

In the US & Canada it isn't even 1%

Around the world low single digits.

So this parameter needs explanation as to why its so high in China.

It seems like if its a mild case people do the 14 or maybe 28 day quarantine and are let go to recuperate at home.

The bar could be much lower to be considered "recovered" in China.

They're out of danger in other words.

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
              At 78,000 confirmed cases, it was not quarrantine. It was burned out.
              Yes, the virus has run its course.

They need 28 days without a new infection to be in the clear though.

I'm hearing life is slowly returning in other provinces.

eg. Chengdu has buses & cars on the streets
              Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Mar 20,, 22:19.

Comment

• They're out of danger in other words.
                no, they're not.

re-infection is possible, and they can't be certain they're down to ZERO cases (asymptomatic). plus, COVID survives on surfaces for a period of time, as well.

plus, COVID getting re-imported back from other countries.

and once it starts up again, it's exponential once more.

this isn't over -anywhere- until a vaccine is made/used and herd immunity is built.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Guy in the office next to me stayed home today because he has an intense fever, major dry cough, and shortness of breath. Can't get tested because his symptoms aren't severe enough yet.

Good times, I'm getting smashed, anyone else want to join in?
                  "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

You have a bigger chance of catching Anthrax from me than you do of COVID-19 considering the amount of manure I clean out of the barn. No, I don't have anthrax. I'd be dead already.
                    I have a bigger chance of catching COVID-19 from you. I've taken the anthrax vaccine (all 5 shots) might need a booster if I show symptoms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      I have a bigger chance of catching COVID-19 from you. I've taken the anthrax vaccine (all 5 shots) might need a booster if I show symptoms.
                      How? You wouldn't be within a 1000 miles of Celine Dion's home city.
                      Chimo

Comment

re-infection is possible,
                        Not confirmed yet. The theory is currently left over residual virus bodies that has yet to be killed off by the body.
                        Chimo

Comment

How? You wouldn't be within a 1000 miles of Celine Dion's home city.
                          You never said she was home!!!!

No wonder your not scared of the virus

Comment

no, they're not.

re-infection is possible, and they can't be certain they're down to ZERO cases (asymptomatic). plus, COVID survives on surfaces for a period of time, as well.

and once it starts up again, it's exponential once more.
                            This is the part i'm waiting for. How they dodge it

plus, COVID getting re-imported back from other countries.
                            The cases found in China over the last few days are in this category.

this isn't over -anywhere- until a vaccine is made/used and herd immunity is built.
                            Herd immunity is still an open question. If you can get re-infected again then what good will a vaccine do. It will have to do better than nature to cause that perfect immune response.

If it were to continue to mutate into some thing less virulent then it joins the ranks of other flu and the majority of us gets infected without even knowing it.

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                            Not confirmed yet. The theory is currently left over residual virus bodies that has yet to be killed off by the body.
                            I don't get this. So the person recovers, meaning their immune system beat back most of the virus.

How then does any residual amount of virus come back again if it was beaten the first time.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 25 Mar 20,, 02:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                              Guy in the office next to me stayed home today because he has an intense fever, major dry cough, and shortness of breath. Can't get tested because his symptoms aren't severe enough yet.
                              Are you kidding me. There still aren't enough kits to do this ?

Good times, I'm getting smashed, anyone else want to join in?
                              To your health : )

Comment

How then does any residual amount of virus come back again if it was beaten the first time.
                                All this means is that the anti-bodies haven't got to every last virus in the body yet. You will still test positive but that doesn't mean a re-infection nor that the body is compromised again. The current concensus is that you built up immunity once you had COVID-19, at this this current strain.
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X