COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
    Look up the number of pandemics prevented by the work of the WHO (pro tip: if it was prevented, you won't find a record of it),
    That's called proving a negative. You know better than that.

Edit: Thinking this through. I can confidently say ABSOLUTELY ZERO. The WHO PREVENTED NOTHING. It is another UN Advisory Body with zero enforcement powers and more importantly, ZERO BALLS. It will NOT advise anything that any of the P5 don't want. It will NOT talk back to the P5. It will NOT own their mistakes.
    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 30 May 20,, 17:41.
    Chimo

Comment

Look up the number of pandemics prevented by the work of the WHO (pro tip: if it was prevented, you won't find a record of it), and the number of children inoculated, and the decline in natal mortality, and the reduction in early childhood deaths, and then I will explain to you in small words the value of the WHO.
      Trump has to answer to his people why he needs to pay $400m annual for this quality of service

Trump slammed the door on China on Feb 2. WHO said it was not necessary to stop travel between countries. And that is pretty much what the world ended up doing the month after. But it was a month too late.

He gave the WHO an ultimatum one month ago, show why the US tax payer needs to fund this org.

Their answers were not satisfactory.

H1N1 (swine flu) came out of Mexico, it went global. Kills people but not to the same extent.

H5N1 came out of China in 1997, avian flu. Went worldwide.

SARS, didn't go worldwide but did infect the region.

MERS same.

I do partly agree with what you've said otherwise. The losers here are going to be the developing countries, Asia, Africa and Central & South America. There isn't another equivalent with the global exposure to address these concerns.

Polio & small pox were eradicated in India due to WHO's efforts. Their big claim to fame which is why people tend to think of them as superheroes.

I just can't get away from the thought that had the world listened to Taiwan instead of the WHO we would not be in this situation today. It's just such a pity when it comes to the global pecking order that Taiwan ranks lower than the Pals. For all intents & purposes Taiwan does not exist.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 30 May 20,, 19:11.

Comment

• The enemy of the good is the great.
        WHO ain't perfect, therefore destroy WHO.

Sheesh.
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

The enemy of the good is the great.
          WHO ain't perfect, therefore destroy WHO.

Sheesh.
          Good? I say COVID-19 is collosal major clusterfuck for the WHO. Tell me, how many WHO people have been fired or resigned for their fuck ups? Hell, tell me how many even owned up to their clusterfucks.
          Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
            Good? I say COVID-19 is collosal major clusterfuck for the WHO. Tell me, how many WHO people have been fired or resigned for their fuck ups? Hell, tell me how many even owned up to their clusterfucks.
            Can say the same about the US government. How many have owned up to their clusterfuck and been fired or resigned?

There's two approaches to every institutional crisis:

1. Reform it
            2. Burn it down

We're seeing the streets of America one way.

Comment

• Lets hope that my dark prophecy is not true, because if it is, the current situation is only the beginning.

Comment

• Originally posted by statquo View Post
                Can say the same about the US government. How many have owned up to their clusterfuck and been fired or resigned?
                Redfield has owned up to CDC's mistakes. Blix is in line for his job. It's business as usual for the WHO. They will rather spend their time in $1000 per night hotels than a single hour in the field.

Originally posted by statquo View Post
                There's two approaches to every institutional crisis:

1. Reform it
                2. Burn it down

We're seeing the streets of America one way.
                Nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with racism. Unfortunately, White America has the money, the population, and the firepower to keep it from burning it down.

That leaves reform ... in November.
                Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 31 May 20,, 18:19.
                Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  dumb, dumb, dumb.

the WHO has its issues, god knows, but ceding the field to China, -during a pandemic-, is beyond stupid.
                  Yeah, this is pretty stupid, but Trump has a major problem overestimating America's relative strength and is prone to these kinds of idiocies.

OTOH, if the WHO can't convince the world's biggest economy of its usefulness, that's on them.
                  "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                    Yeah, this is pretty stupid, but Trump has a major problem overestimating America's relative strength and is prone to these kinds of idiocies.

OTOH, if the WHO can't convince the world's biggest economy of its usefulness, that's on them.
                    It's not about convincing anybody but mentally-defective pile of shit in the White House, unfortunately.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                      YOU'VE MUST BE SHITTING ME!!!!!!! Convince the US? WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom is a freaking politician, not a physician. He's got China's vote to get him the Seat. The US voted for British Dr David Nabarro. Guess who Tedros aimed to please and it ain't Trump.
                      Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                        It's not about convincing anybody but mentally-defective pile of shit in the White House, unfortunately.
                        That also describes Tedros. No matter what you think of Trump, his criticism of the WHO is spot on. Tedros bent over backwards for Xi.
                        Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          He's the lawfully elected decision-maker, so that's who you gotta deal with. I mean, if you can't figure out how to work with a mental nitwit who is vulnerable to the most basic charm offensive, that's on you and you shouldn't be in charge of anything.
                          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• frankly this is just election posturing.

Trump is dumb, but he's got enough brain cells to figure out the polls with Biden up by 10, a body count of 100K+, and 20% unemployment don't bode well for his re-election.

so blame the WHO.

as I said, the WHO hasn't exactly covered itself in glory in this case, but at least the WHO was sending out warnings about the seriousness of this while Trump was calling this a big hoax and saying that his bud Xi Jinping had this all under control.
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                              That also describes Tedros. No matter what you think of Trump, his criticism of the WHO is spot on. Tedros bent over backwards for Xi.
                              I'm not going to defend Tedros or WHO. The original comment was "if the WHO can't convince the world's biggest economy of its usefulness, that's on them." Which is incorrect. It's about convincing one man whose mental faculties are clearly deteriorating...and that's even without considering his malignant narcissistic personality disorder or the kleptocracy that he's running.

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                              He's the lawfully elected decision-maker, so that's who you gotta deal with. I mean, if you can't figure out how to work with a mental nitwit who is vulnerable to the most basic charm offensive, that's on you and you shouldn't be in charge of anything.
                              Not questioning that at all. Donald Trump was lawfully elected by the Electoral College, that is not in dispute.

And while Trump is, as you said, a mental nitwit vulnerable to "shiny beads and shallow flattery", he's also looking at millions given to WHO by the US every year and angry that it's not going into HIS pocket. So, lose-lose situation there.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                                as I said, the WHO hasn't exactly covered itself in glory in this case, but at least the WHO was sending out warnings about the seriousness of this while Trump was calling this a big hoax and saying that his bud Xi Jinping had this all under control.
                                Maybe I'm missing something but according to this

His calling of the hoax is explained with context and the timeline matches well with what the WHO and the CDC had been saying. If anything, Trump was parroting the WHO and the CDC, so I don't get when the WHO was sending out serious signals BEFORE Trump acted.

If anything, it was US intelligence, NOT THE WHO, that called Chinese numbers into question and it was Trump, not the WHO, who called Xi a liar.
                                Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 01 Jun 20,, 07:34.
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X