No announcement yet.

COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I go down today to pick up a flat tire that I left yesterday for repair. Wednesday is my off day and this was the only outside the home property I went. There is the owner, roughly my age, and his four guys in the shop and none are wearing masks or coming close to being 6' apart. Three people in waiting room had masks. I was asked if I wanted to sit in the A/C waiting area and declined to stand outside. He was slammed yesterday because his workers decided it was a four day weekend holiday. Workers between 18-30 so take a guess.

AP video of the only 1% who are in serious shape, cough, cough... Woman is 66.

Comment

• 1. So FOX's big, bad COVID doctor is a sleep apnea expert?

2. Around here it is interesting where you see masks being worn and by who...splits just about right along political lines.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Here's a study that shows HCQ cuts mortality rate by 50%. Been over a week but NYT that covered three other trials that either failed or were inconclusive does not mention this. Oh i wonder why....couldn't admit Trump was right about HCQ all along and as early as April ?

Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine Cut Death Rate Significantly in COVID-19 Patients, Henry Ford Health System Study Shows | Henry Ford | Jul 02 2020

Hydroxychloroquine saved coronavirus patients' lives, Michigan study shows | Detroit Free Press | Jul 03 2020

Confirms what the Indian medical council found over a month back. I knew it helped to prevent people contracting the disease but now i understand where it is effective for treatement.

The reason this trial matters and previous ones do not is they make the distinction between early intervention and late which the previous studies did not.

If HCQ is administered within 7 days of symptoms it cut the death rate by half. Less effective if taken later. Becomes clear then that studies that don't make this distinction are going to conclude HCQ is either ineffective or worse. Key point.

Listening to commentary on this study by Jack Maxey & Peter Navarro, i learnt they had trouble getting people to volunteer for the trials as the media did such a through job of scaring people. For a drug that has been used for decades and is well understood.

How do you conduct more HCQ research with this hydroxy hysteria !!

Media hating Trump is one thing but i can't help wondering whether big pharma is interfering here.

A strip of 15 tabs costs Rs.100 in India or $1.50

The treatment in the US is $11 for HCQ compared to $3,000 for Remdesivir

Where's the money to be made with HCQ ? not there is it.

But could potentially save a lot of lives for not much cost.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 09 Jul 20,, 16:58.

Comment

• Crap study. Not randomized. Patients who got hydroxychloroquine also more likely got steroids which appear to help Covid patients on it's own. This was an observational study which are used to decide which ideas to test in randomized studies. Flies against everything else out there.

I suggest, that since you are not a doctor, that you seriously need to take a course in what a randomized study is and and in how to read studies to locate any weak points. You are out of your league here.

Comment

• Coronavirus records in Florida, Texas and California erode hopes of economic revival

(Reuters) - Record-breaking coronavirus cases and deaths in several U.S. states are dimming hopes of economic recovery, with cellphone data showing shoppers are staying away from stores in areas where cases are rising the most.

In Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina, which were among the first states to reopen commerce in May, retail foot traffic now lags levels elsewhere, data firm Unacast said.

More than 60,000 new COVID-19 infections were reported on Wednesday, the greatest single-day tally of cases by any country since the virus emerged late last year in China. U.S. deaths rose by more than 900 for the second straight day.

Florida on Thursday announced nearly 9,000 new cases and 120 new coronavirus deaths, a record daily increase in lives lost. California and Texas, the most populous states, announced record increases in COVID deaths on Wednesday.

The surge is making some Americans hesitant to return to public spaces and patronize businesses despite President Donald Trump's efforts to downplay the risks.

Stephanie Porta, 41, a lifelong resident of Orlando, Florida, said only about half the people at her grocery store wore masks but that was an improvement from two weeks ago.

"They're trying to make everything seem normal, when it's not. People are dying, people are getting sick. It's insane," she said. "A lot of people are taking notice. But so many are being fed the message that everything is normal. If they're smart, they're scared."
            ________
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              1. So FOX's big, bad COVID doctor is a sleep apnea expert?
              I guess it's a slight step up from when they had Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil giving their expertise on the subject.

Comment

• Originally posted by statquo View Post
                I guess it's a slight step up from when they had Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil giving their expertise on the subject.
                I guess that's like being the tallest midget in the room....
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  I guess that's like being the tallest midget in the room....
                  The sharpest Frisbee in the toy box ... ?
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                    The sharpest Frisbee in the toy box ... ?
                    Bout the same...but those suckers can split some lips for sure!
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                      [B][SIZE=3]
                      Couple of obvious points:
                      • Didn't Pence just get put in charge of our country's response to the outbreak? Isn't it now his job to address questions about it?
                      • Pence's refusal to answer the question was answer enough. This "administration" has no policy or plans for assisting the poor who can't afford testing or treatment for coronavirus.
                      • The government just authorized $8.5 billion to addresses the coronavirus. I would think part of that money could be used to cover the cost of the test for the uninsured. Pretty scary that the Vice President could not answer an easy question.
                      Let’s all be absolutely clear on one thing: VP Pence is fully in charge of taking the blame for anything that doesn’t smell like winning, and nothing else.
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

Let’s all be absolutely clear on one thing: VP Pence is fully in charge of taking the blame for anything that doesn’t smell like winning, and nothing else.
                        Yep, Pence is just like everyone else in Trump's life: Fully capable of being hurled under the bus in a split second.

Ivanka is probably the sole exception there, but that's probably because he openly admits to being attracted to her, not because she's his daughter.

Yep, a real Christian man is Donald Trump.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Another major change WRT transmission: aerosols and the possibility of airborne transmission in certain contexts.
                          https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...on-precautions
                          Outside of medical facilities, some outbreak reports related to indoor crowded spaces (40) have suggested the possibility of aerosol transmission, combined with droplet transmission, for example, during choir practice (7), in restaurants (41) or in fitness classes.(42) In these events, short-range aerosol transmission, particularly in specific indoor locations, such as crowded and inadequately ventilated spaces over a prolonged period of time with infected persons cannot be ruled out. However, the detailed investigations of these clusters suggest that droplet and fomite transmission could also explain human-to-human transmission within these clusters
                          This has been another "slow on the uptake," but there's not a lot of firm evidence besides a few super-spreader incidents. However, it has pretty big implications for risk mitigation in certain environments. Hospital staff require N95 masks during certain procedures because the virus can spready effectively via aerosols (your cloth masks and surgical masks aren't going to do much for those). It's entirely possible that poorly ventilated areas are going to run into the exact same problems. It means your 6 ft social distancing/cloth mask strategy is ineffective in these circumstances, and you need to take more serious steps to ventilate air.

This makes me concerned as we move back indoors during fall up North.
                          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Presidential advisers, confidants claim Trump has made himself into a victim amid the pandemic, according to report

Advisers in touch with the White House claim President Donald Trump has made himself into a victim of the coronavirus pandemic, The Washington Post reported Friday.

An outside adviser in "frequent touch with the White House" told The Post that the president seemed "inconsolable" about the US economy that he claims to have built is struggling amid the pandemic.

"I had this great economy, and they made me shut it down," Trump has said repeatedly, another outside adviser told The Post.

"We had the greatest economy in the world," Trump apparently said in a meeting at the Oval Office last month, according to a third adviser, The Post said.

The coronavirus pandemic has infected more than 3 million people in the US and the death toll in the country has surpassed 134,000. More than 1.3 million people filed for unemployment benefits last week, adding to the nearly 43 million who have filed since the pandemic began.

Efforts have been made to boost the president's mood as he gripes about the failing economy amid rising coronavirus infections in the US.

Top White House advisers, like Hope Hicks and Dan Scavino, have been creating videos showing praise from Trump supporters, aides told The Post. Others show Trump internal polls to distract him from the virtually universal polling showing him trailing behind former Vice President and presumptive 2020 Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

People close to the president, including White House communications director Alyssa Farah and son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner, have attempted to tell Trump to take on a more optimistic viewpoint, out of fear his mood could negatively impact his political reputation, one senior administration official told The Post.

Jen Psaki, former communications director for the Obama administration, told The Post the president doesn't have "many sympathetic ears to his claims that he's been mistreated."

"Leadership, as we've seen at many moments in history, is about not only accepting adulation when you do something great but also accepting responsibility," she told The Post. "That lack of accepting responsibility is seen as a lack of leadership and that doesn't sit well with people who might be more open to supporting him again."

Ruth Ben-Ghiat, a history professor at New York University, told The Post that Trump's tendency of self-victimization follows the behavioral pattern of an authoritarian leader.

"They have no empathy, and they only see the world through how things affect them personally," Ben-Ghiat told The Post. "They're not there to govern. They're there to enrich themselves, they're there to plunder the nation, and they're there to be world historical."

A representative from the White House did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment. White House spokesman Judd Deere said in an email statement to The Post that the US "did not ask for this plague and every American has been affected from the closure of our economy to caring for the sick and mourning those tragically lost."

"But under the leadership of President Trump our Transition to Greatness has already begun, and the American people are showing tremendous courage to defeat the virus, responsibly open the economy, and restore law and order to our streets," Deere wrote. "The President's message has been consistent: resilience, hope, and optimism."

Good god what a fucking pussy. I've seen steamed broccoli with more of a backbone than this snowflake.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              [B]
                              Good god what a fucking pussy. I've seen steamed broccoli with more of a backbone than this snowflake.
                              Sir, I need to borrow this.
                              Trust me?
                              I'm an economist!

Comment

Sir, I need to borrow this.
                                Borrow away! It was inspired by this classic scene.

Comment

Working...
                                X