Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 85868788899091929394
Results 1,396 to 1,406 of 1406

Thread: COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    So I go down today to pick up a flat tire that I left yesterday for repair. Wednesday is my off day and this was the only outside the home property I went. There is the owner, roughly my age, and his four guys in the shop and none are wearing masks or coming close to being 6' apart. Three people in waiting room had masks. I was asked if I wanted to sit in the A/C waiting area and declined to stand outside. He was slammed yesterday because his workers decided it was a four day weekend holiday. Workers between 18-30 so take a guess.

AP video of the only 1% who are in serious shape, cough, cough... Woman is 66.

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    1. So FOX's big, bad COVID doctor is a sleep apnea expert?

2. Around here it is interesting where you see masks being worn and by who...splits just about right along political lines.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Here's a study that shows HCQ cuts mortality rate by 50%. Been over a week but NYT that covered three other trials that either failed or were inconclusive does not mention this. Oh i wonder why....couldn't admit Trump was right about HCQ all along and as early as April ?

Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine Cut Death Rate Significantly in COVID-19 Patients, Henry Ford Health System Study Shows | Henry Ford | Jul 02 2020

Hydroxychloroquine saved coronavirus patients' lives, Michigan study shows | Detroit Free Press | Jul 03 2020

Confirms what the Indian medical council found over a month back. I knew it helped to prevent people contracting the disease but now i understand where it is effective for treatement.

The reason this trial matters and previous ones do not is they make the distinction between early intervention and late which the previous studies did not.

If HCQ is administered within 7 days of symptoms it cut the death rate by half. Less effective if taken later. Becomes clear then that studies that don't make this distinction are going to conclude HCQ is either ineffective or worse. Key point.

Listening to commentary on this study by Jack Maxey & Peter Navarro, i learnt they had trouble getting people to volunteer for the trials as the media did such a through job of scaring people. For a drug that has been used for decades and is well understood.

How do you conduct more HCQ research with this hydroxy hysteria !!

Media hating Trump is one thing but i can't help wondering whether big pharma is interfering here.

A strip of 15 tabs costs Rs.100 in India or $1.50

The treatment in the US is $11 for HCQ compared to $3,000 for Remdesivir

Where's the money to be made with HCQ ? not there is it.

But could potentially save a lot of lives for not much cost.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 09 Jul 20, at 16:58.

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Crap study. Not randomized. Patients who got hydroxychloroquine also more likely got steroids which appear to help Covid patients on it's own. This was an observational study which are used to decide which ideas to test in randomized studies. Flies against everything else out there.

I suggest, that since you are not a doctor, that you seriously need to take a course in what a randomized study is and and in how to read studies to locate any weak points. You are out of your league here.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Coronavirus records in Florida, Texas and California erode hopes of economic revival

(Reuters) - Record-breaking coronavirus cases and deaths in several U.S. states are dimming hopes of economic recovery, with cellphone data showing shoppers are staying away from stores in areas where cases are rising the most.

In Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina, which were among the first states to reopen commerce in May, retail foot traffic now lags levels elsewhere, data firm Unacast said.

More than 60,000 new COVID-19 infections were reported on Wednesday, the greatest single-day tally of cases by any country since the virus emerged late last year in China. U.S. deaths rose by more than 900 for the second straight day.

Florida on Thursday announced nearly 9,000 new cases and 120 new coronavirus deaths, a record daily increase in lives lost. California and Texas, the most populous states, announced record increases in COVID deaths on Wednesday.

The surge is making some Americans hesitant to return to public spaces and patronize businesses despite President Donald Trump's efforts to downplay the risks.

Stephanie Porta, 41, a lifelong resident of Orlando, Florida, said only about half the people at her grocery store wore masks but that was an improvement from two weeks ago.

"They're trying to make everything seem normal, when it's not. People are dying, people are getting sick. It's insane," she said. "A lot of people are taking notice. But so many are being fed the message that everything is normal. If they're smart, they're scared."
    ________
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

New Member Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    1. So FOX's big, bad COVID doctor is a sleep apnea expert?
    I guess it's a slight step up from when they had Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil giving their expertise on the subject.

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    I guess it's a slight step up from when they had Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil giving their expertise on the subject.
    I guess that's like being the tallest midget in the room....
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    I guess that's like being the tallest midget in the room....
    The sharpest Frisbee in the toy box ... ?
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    The sharpest Frisbee in the toy box ... ?
    Bout the same...but those suckers can split some lips for sure!
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    [B][SIZE=3]
    Couple of obvious points:
    • Didn't Pence just get put in charge of our country's response to the outbreak? Isn't it now his job to address questions about it?
    • Pence's refusal to answer the question was answer enough. This "administration" has no policy or plans for assisting the poor who can't afford testing or treatment for coronavirus.
    • The government just authorized $8.5 billion to addresses the coronavirus. I would think part of that money could be used to cover the cost of the test for the uninsured. Pretty scary that the Vice President could not answer an easy question.
    Let’s all be absolutely clear on one thing: VP Pence is fully in charge of taking the blame for anything that doesn’t smell like winning, and nothing else.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    Let’s all be absolutely clear on one thing: VP Pence is fully in charge of taking the blame for anything that doesn’t smell like winning, and nothing else.
    Yep, Pence is just like everyone else in Trump's life: Fully capable of being hurled under the bus in a split second.

Ivanka is probably the sole exception there, but that's probably because he openly admits to being attracted to her, not because she's his daughter.

Yep, a real Christian man is Donald Trump.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

Thread Information