Page 61 of 94 FirstFirst ... 52535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    This article by politico is a good example of what i mean by that term. A month ago this would be a legit critique. Today its just a reheated one month old rant.

Just four million ? like that is such a small number
    Ok let's look at that information:

4 million tests. In a country of 328 million. That's 1.2% of the population. As of today.

A country that is, by far, the wealthiest in the world. Has tested. 1.2% of its population.

That is a fucking DISGRACE.

Meanwhile, there's Donald Dumbshit Trump, bragging way back on March 6th “Anybody that wants a test can get a test.” Now tell me, was that the "rambunctious media" that said that? Or twisted that?

So far behind other nations ? really ?
    You're quoting a Democratic politician, not a member of the "rambunctious media". Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) in case you were wondering.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by troung View Post
    So....that's... ummm... not a call for violence...

Good.
    So while these idiots out "protesting" the loss of their "freedoms", I'd like to remind people what's at stake.

Many of you probably remember Captain Bluesman, the courageous and badass wife of Bluesman. She had this to say on FB today, and I asked her permission to copy/paste it here. While the entire post is pure gold, I've bolded the especially salient points.

"Healthcare workers are heros!" and "It's my right to get a haircut!".

You know, this is all very familiar. Besides being a RN, I'm also a veteran, and this sounds remarkably like "Thank you for your service!" and (some version of) "It's waaaayyy to much trouble to contact my legislators and demand adequate staffing and funding for the VA. Or to make any effort to understand Veteran's issues. Etc". There is a certain kind of American that just LOVES to put its front line workers, be they healthcare, military, etc, up on pedestals, to be admired from afar, and occasionally maybe bought a cup of coffee. But do even slightly hard work to support them? Oh heavens no. It'd be inconvenient, doncha know.

Well, I'd like to make it known, to any of that sort of American that happens to be reading this, that should you feel moved to express gratitude, I plan to treat it just like I do "Thanks for your service". A tight lipped smile at best, a "Shove it up your ass", if I'm feeling particularly ornery. Which I am these days. If you can't be bothered to do literally the least you can do...if you can't stay at home except for necessity...if you, for the love of og, think your right to a sit down dinner in a fucking restaurant is worth the lives of your fellow Americans... then please, don't compound your essential cuntitude with hypocrisy. Don't thank me, I know it means nothing coming from you. I've heard it all before
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    One just gets that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that the Administration is out in the forefront protecting Americans who need protection. Of course some don't need protection and I am all for gaining an education through first hand experience. More power to them just don't ask me to pay for their education. Of course they could have paid attention in their science classes in high school. Speaking of science those guys protecting us have removed another person who says science based facts are the best way to go.

https://apnews.com/891831132bb34b915fc9c844392f1a11

WASHINGTON (AP) — The head of a government agency combating the coronavirus pandemic alleged Wednesday that he was ousted for opposing politically connected efforts to promote a malaria drug that President Donald Trump touted without proof as a remedy for COVID-19.

Rick Bright, former director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, said in a statement that he was summarily removed from his job on Tuesday and reassigned to a lesser role. His lawyers, Debra Katz and Lisa Banks, called it “retaliation plain and simple.”

Controversy has swirled around the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine since Trump started promoting it from the podium in the White House briefing room.

BARDA, the agency that Bright formerly headed, is a unit of the Department of Health and Human Services created to counter threats from bioterrorism and infectious diseases. It has recently been trying to jump-start work on a vaccine for the coronavirus.

“I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science — not politics or cronyism — has to lead the way,” Bright, who has a doctoral degree in immunology, said in his statement, which was released by his lawyers.

“Specifically, and contrary to misguided directives, I limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit,” Bright said.

“I also resisted efforts to fund potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections,” he added.

Asked about Bright at Wednesday’s briefing, Trump said he “never heard of him.”

“The guy says he was pushed out of a job,” Trump said. “Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn’t. ... I don’t know who he is
    .”
    Now haven't I heard that bolded part before?

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Bright, who has a doctoral degree in immunology
    No wonder he was pushed out. Can't have all that fancy book-learnin' in this administration now can we.

Asked about Bright at Wednesday’s briefing, Trump said he “never heard of him.”

“The guy says he was pushed out of a job,” Trump said. “Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn’t. ... I don’t know who he is.”

He's like a child.

Like. A. Fucking. CHILD.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

A Self Important Senior Contributor troung's Avatar

So while these idiots out "protesting" the loss of their "freedoms", I'd like to remind people what's at stake
    Glad we all agree it wasnt a call for violence, and the protests have been peaceful

Well, I'd like to make it known, to any of that sort of American that happens to be reading this, that should you feel moved to express gratitude, I plan to treat it just like I do "Thanks for your service". A tight lipped smile at best, a "Shove it up your ass", if I'm feeling particularly ornery. Which I am these days. If you can't be bothered to do literally the least you can do...if you can't stay at home except for necessity...if you, for the love of og, think your right to a sit down dinner in a fucking restaurant is worth the lives of your fellow Americans... then please, don't compound your essential cuntitude with hypocrisy. Don't thank me, I know it means nothing coming from you. I've heard it all before
    [:Shrug:] Shades of the iraq war propaganda, you can't question lockdown orders, suggest changes, or ask how useful it all is or you want to rip the wings off of nurses.
    Last edited by troung; 23 Apr 20, at 02:35.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Glad we all agree it wasnt a call for violence, and the protests have been peaceful
    You're like DE, selective reading of other people's posts. Clever...

[:Shrug:] Shades of the iraq war propaganda, you can't question lockdown orders, suggest changes, or ask how useful it all is or you want to rip the wings off of nurses.
    You mean, the medical professionals who are right on the front lines of this debacle? Versus the moron that thinks that antibiotics can be used against viruses?
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

You mean, the medical professionals who are right on the front lines of this debacle? Versus the moron that thinks that antibiotics can be used against viruses?
    Yeap, evidently people can't question political decisions made by state and local authorities or they will be angrily tweeted about by the toilet paper hoarders of the world that they want to assail nurses like so many baby seals. No questions may be asked or changes to orders made or you want to personally harm nurses. Anyone who has a problem with the actions of state and local government is selfish, a redneck, or some other form of bad person. How very brave and beautiful.

I just maybe can take back 70% of the bad things I said about him.
    Last edited by troung; 23 Apr 20, at 03:55.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Yeap, evidently people can't question political decisions made by state and local authorities or they will be angrily tweeted about by the toilet paper hoarders of the world that they want to assail nurses like so many baby seals. No questions may be asked or changes to orders made or you want to personally harm nurses. Anyone who has a problem with the actions of state and local government is selfish, a redneck, or some other form of bad person. How very brave and beautiful.

I just maybe can take back 70% of the bad things I said about him.
    Thing is, if we could limit any spread of the virus to just these fine folks who are protesting I would be happy to have them be out and about. Its not like America or the world would lose if some of these folks (or those folks worldwide so concerned about their freedom to do religious blatherings) suddently left us. There I said it, chew on that.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    So while these idiots out "protesting" the loss of their "freedoms", I'd like to remind people what's at stake.

Many of you probably remember Captain Bluesman, the courageous and badass wife of Bluesman. She had this to say on FB today, and I asked her permission to copy/paste it here. While the entire post is pure gold, I've bolded the especially salient points.
    Clear proof that Capt. Bluesman is a freedom-hating, Trump-hating, gun grabbing, Clinton-loving Communist. Probably has links to Bill Gates, George Soros & the Clinton Foundation.

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Ok let's look at that information:

4 million tests. In a country of 328 million. That's 1.2% of the population. As of today.

A country that is, by far, the wealthiest in the world. Has tested. 1.2% of its population.

That is a fucking DISGRACE.
    Opinion polls work on less than 1/1000 that figure

So, how many tests do you really need to get a sense ?

That's a question people in my country are asking. Japan as well.

Pushing back at this test, test, test mantra the WHO is putting out.

Because we too face the same shortages in test kits, reliable ones.

If you've reached parity with S.Korea at a per million basis then you are in a position to relax some and hold the second wave back.

Latest briefing mentioned some states were going to do just that. Along with Germany this will be interesting to watch.

You're quoting a Democratic politician, not a member of the "rambunctious media". Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) in case you were wondering.
    Who i would believe if i did not know what the existing data was.

Politico isn't exactly sympathetic to this administration.

Took me a lot more time to rebut that crap than it did you to post it. I could have gone further. But i thought i've made the point.

This article does not tell me how you're winning this fight. It falls into the NOISE category.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 23 Apr 20, at 07:19.

Senior Contributor
    Opinion polls work on less than 1/100 that figure
    Opinion polls do not generally have a mortality rate.

Quote Originally Posted by antimony View Post
    Thing is, if we could limit any spread of the virus to just these fine folks who are protesting I would be happy to have them be out and about. Its not like America or the world would lose if some of these folks (or those folks worldwide so concerned about their freedom to do religious blatherings) suddently left us. There I said it, chew on that.
    How-bow-dat? Such an edgy take that you may do yourself an injury, be careful.

You wishing death on folks who disagree with government action and want to modify it and/or especially wish to attend religious instruction (which is important to millions upon millions) is kind of shrug worthy. I mean on your end it means I guess you aspire to be a horrible human being, but to me I could honeslty care less.
    Last edited by troung; 23 Apr 20, at 08:47.

Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    One just gets that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that the Administration is out in the forefront protecting Americans who need protection. Of course some don't need protection and I am all for gaining an education through first hand experience. More power to them just don't ask me to pay for their education. Of course they could have paid attention in their science classes in high school. Speaking of science those guys protecting us have removed another person who says science based facts are the best way to go.

https://apnews.com/891831132bb34b915fc9c844392f1a11

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/21/...-out-at-barda/

None of the sources articulated the reason for Bright’s departure, though several mentioned recent chafing between Bright and Bob Kadlec, the current HHS assistant secretary for preparedness and response.

BARDA has been plagued with management issues virtually since its creation in 2006, with much of the criticism aimed at a contracting department that some say is unresponsive to industry partners. The office has only had two permanent directors since its creation in 2006. Bright has led the organization since 2016.

Bright did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
    He could have said something there

BARDA was expected to play an even larger role in the coming months; Congress more than tripled BARDA’s budget in the most recent coronavirus stimulus package. Already, the office has a role in some of the splashiest Covid-19 projects, including partnerships with Johnson & Johnson and Moderna Therapeutics, both of which are developing potential Covid-19 treatments.
    Moderna has already started trials.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Opinion polls do not generally have a mortality rate.
    Preventing mortality isn't the goal here. Gauging spread is the goal.

Polls come with an error rate, how many tests to get it to an acceptable number ?

Does not need millions of tests now does it.

Senior Contributor
    I certainly do not wish these fools dead but there does come a point where 'irresponsible' behaviour becomes 'purposefully dangerous', which in my view should be arrestable. So in the case of the Moscow Patriarchate Monastery of the Lavra in Kyiv where some 80 monks have been taken to hospitable - so clearly the community is infected - yet they called people to celebrate Orthodox Easter against the 'do not go out if not necessary' order to an infected establishment to a service where at least some of the clergy are more than likely to carry the virus. In Muscovy the Moscow Patriarchate told people to stay home. So religious freedom or not that was clearly and willfully exposing innocent civilians to a high risk and goes a step further than these Yank idiots who are protesting against Trump's policies.

Thread Information