No announcement yet.

COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is less of "Food Stock" prep and like GVChamp. What is on sale, what we caught and what the wife grew in her garden.

Its easy to do when the wife and I don't eat can food.The only thing cans in our pantry are 3-4 cans of Progresso soup, olives and a few cans of Beondegi.

I love fresh veggies.

Comment

Yeah, i don't know many people that are into canned food. It assumes there will be no electricity or gas.

If you have a freezer then you can keep meat for months.

But after a hurricane where is the electricity or gas ? won't your food spoil

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      Instead of broiler chickens substitute 12 cornish hens then and mine and your freezers look about the same.
      Cornish hens was the only way to make any decent curry. Basically any chicken that walks around as opposed to being fattened in a cage.

The regular chicken they sell in the US just does not come out well in Indian dishes.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Mar 20,, 02:47.

Comment

Yes it does. Most people have a small generator to run their refrigerator/freezers. But in a serious storm gas to run the generator becomes a problem. Or as I found out a tree crushing your generator during the storm leaves you SOL.

We cook a lot of stuff on the charcoal grill when the power goes out. Cooked food keeps longer.

I lost 3 freezers worth of food. The whole community lost food. Trash didn't get picked up for over a week. You really don't want to know what that smells like in 80deg weather :)

Comment

Pence gently tries to correct Trump's false coronavirus testing claims

WASHINGTON — Friday evening found Vice President Pence in an uncommon and uncomfortable position: Having to downplay and contradict assertions made by his boss. It proved a delicate act for Pence, who has become the face of the administration’s coronavirus response, and who has sought to project an aura of steely confidence.

Trump can sometimes frustrate those efforts, as he did during visit to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta on Friday afternoon.

Wearing a red “Keep America Great” baseball cap, the president used the occasion to offer his freewheeling thoughts on everything ranging from Fox News ratings to the educational pedigree of his uncle John Trump, who was a Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor.

But there were also blatantly incorrect claims, too, as when Trump said that “anybody that needs a test gets a test” for coronavirus. In fact, the CDC has badly lagged in preparing a nationwide testing regime, and only a minuscule percentage of Americans can currently be tested. That percentage will grow in the coming days, but not nearly as quickly as public health experts believe is necessary to contain the disease, which has infected at least 280 people and killed 15 in the U.S.

Trump also said during his CDC tour that the tests are “all perfect,” comparing it to his “perfect” phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. That phone call served as the basis for the impeachment inquiry that culminated in Trump’s acquittal last month.

In fact, an initial CDC test was flawed, which delayed its implementation by about two weeks, during a critical period in February when the virus was spreading in Washington state and elsewhere.

Trump added that he would rather not allow infected Americans to disembark the Grand Princess cruise ship that has been floating off the coast of Northern California. “I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship,” Trump complained as his secretary of Health and Human Services and the director of the CDC looked on.

The White House briefing of the coronavirus task force began almost as soon as Trump’s remarks in Atlanta ended, which all but assured that Pence — who Trump appointed to head the task force — would be forced to account for the president’s statements.

Pence tried to do so cautiously, aware that Trump is sensitive to any efforts to upstage or contradict him. Speaking of the coronavirus testing regime, which has been mired in confusion, Pence admitted that “we have a ways to go yet.” About 2,500 kits have been shipped out to laboratories. That means that 1.5 million tests are available. Because of testing protocols, however, those tests can be administered to only about 500,000 people.

In an implicit rebuke to Trump, Pence said it would be a “matter of weeks” before the tests would be “broadly available.”

Pence also addressed the issue of the Grand Princess. He said that 21 people on board the cruise ship have been infected with the coronavirus. Ignoring Trump’s complaints about infection statistics, Pence said he and California Gov. Gavin Newsom had “developed a plan” to have the ship dock at a “noncommercial” port.

“Those that need to be quarantined will be quarantined, those that require additional medical attention will receive it,” Pence said. Food and Drug Administration Director Stephen Hahn added that test would “available significantly” by the end of next week.

On Thursday, Pence visited with Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, whose leadership he has praised since the state became an epicenter of the coronavirus epidemic, despite Inslee being a Democrat often critical of the Trump administration.

In his remarks in Atlanta, Trump offered his own thoughts on Inslee, calling him a “snake.”

Pence was later confronted with that statement at the White House briefing, but the vice president ignored the question. In the course of the briefing, Pence also effusively praised Newsom, the California governor, who is another Trump nemesis.

This is what a blazing dumpster full of dog shit looks like.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yes it does. Most people have a small generator to run their refrigerator/freezers. But in a serious storm gas to run the generator becomes a problem. Or as I found out a tree crushing your generator during the storm leaves you SOL.

We cook a lot of stuff on the charcoal grill when the power goes out. Cooked food keeps longer.

I lost 3 freezers worth of food. The whole community lost food. Trash didn't get picked up for over a week. You really don't want to know what that smells like in 80deg weather :)
            Right, so i guess there was no food shortage since hurricane is only local. So you just go to the shop or those supplies are made available.

You can cook with charcoal.

Never needed canned food in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              Pence gently tries to correct Trump's false coronavirus testing claims

WASHINGTON — Friday evening found Vice President Pence in an uncommon and uncomfortable position: Having to downplay and contradict assertions made by his boss. It proved a delicate act for Pence, who has become the face of the administration’s coronavirus response, and who has sought to project an aura of steely confidence.
              Uncommon ? hah i'd say that was the norm. The number of times his staff have had to walk back what he says over his term so far.

But there were also blatantly incorrect claims, too, as when Trump said that “anybody that needs a test gets a test” for coronavirus. In fact, the CDC has badly lagged in preparing a nationwide testing regime, and only a minuscule percentage of Americans can currently be tested. That percentage will grow in the coming days, but not nearly as quickly as public health experts believe is necessary to contain the disease, which has infected at least 280 people and killed 15 in the U.S.
              And as the testing increases so will the number of cases detected.

Trump also said during his CDC tour that the tests are “all perfect,” comparing it to his “perfect” phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. That phone call served as the basis for the impeachment inquiry that culminated in Trump’s acquittal last month.

In fact, an initial CDC test was flawed, which delayed its implementation by about two weeks, during a critical period in February when the virus was spreading in Washington state and elsewhere.
              Correct, the other problem is the mutations which the test has to pick up. Bad test is worse than no test.

They couldn't get the info in time to mass produce that is why the delay.

Trump added that he would rather not allow infected Americans to disembark the Grand Princess cruise ship that has been floating off the coast of Northern California. “I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship,” Trump complained as his secretary of Health and Human Services and the director of the CDC looked on.
              And ? what's wrong with that. Just do a better job than Japan with the Diamond Princess cruise ship. That cruise ship has three times the number of affected than the entire US to date. It has its own entry in the stats list as if its a country.

He stopped people entering from China in early Feb.

The White House briefing of the coronavirus task force began almost as soon as Trump’s remarks in Atlanta ended, which all but assured that Pence — who Trump appointed to head the task force — would be forced to account for the president’s statements.

Pence tried to do so cautiously, aware that Trump is sensitive to any efforts to upstage or contradict him. Speaking of the coronavirus testing regime, which has been mired in confusion, Pence admitted that “we have a ways to go yet.” About 2,500 kits have been shipped out to laboratories. That means that 1.5 million tests are available. Because of testing protocols, however, those tests can be administered to only about 500,000 people.
              yes

In an implicit rebuke to Trump, Pence said it would be a “matter of weeks” before the tests would be “broadly available.”

Pence also addressed the issue of the Grand Princess. He said that 21 people on board the cruise ship have been infected with the coronavirus. Ignoring Trump’s complaints about infection statistics, Pence said he and California Gov. Gavin Newsom had “developed a plan” to have the ship dock at a “noncommercial” port.

“Those that need to be quarantined will be quarantined, those that require additional medical attention will receive it,” Pence said. Food and Drug Administration Director Stephen Hahn added that test would “available significantly” by the end of next week.
              Good

This is what a blazing dumpster full of dog shit looks like.
              16k dead out of 280k flu cases in the US last year.

Does any one think this corona virus will kill as many in the US ? no

That is why Trump does not take this as seriously.
              Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Mar 20,, 04:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                Right, so i guess there was no food shortage since hurricane is only local. So you just go to the shop or those supplies are made available.
                Local is a relative term. Hurricane Michael devastated an area 60 miles wide. There is no place to shop when the stores are destroyed. Or if they lose power. My town didn't have power from Oct 10th till the end of Nov. We were fed by the National Guard (MREs) Red Cross Tray versions of MREs and there was a restaurant BBQ chain that gave out free meals in different locations. Plus there were lots of groups and normal citizens from surrounding areas that cooked free meals.
                But that took days for them to be able to drive here. Roads blocked up to and including Interstate 10 which is 90 miles north.

Never needed canned food in your case.
                Really I did. Would have been a change from the MREs.

Comment

Local is a relative term. Hurricane Michael devastated an area 60 miles wide. There is no place to shop when the stores are destroyed. Or if they lose power. My town didn't have power from Oct 10th till the end of Nov. We were fed by the National Guard (MREs) Red Cross Tray versions of MREs and there was a restaurant BBQ chain that gave out free meals in different locations. Plus there were lots of groups and normal citizens from surrounding areas that cooked free meals.
                  But that took days for them to be able to drive here. Roads blocked up to and including Interstate 10 which is 90 miles north.
                  What was the water situation like ? did the taps in the house work.

In a hurricane, water seems like the last thing to worry about but that water needs to be drinkable.

What we see here is replenishments are possible even after a hurricane is so devastating.

Some times i think preppers go over the top. They plan for a complete breakdown of law & order. Stock up and guns. Without a militia for support i doubt they could hold raiders off for long.

Really I did. Would have been a change from the MREs.
                  Will you stockpile canned food now
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Mar 20,, 06:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    What was the water situation like ? did the taps in the house work.
                    No water for over a month. Then they had to flush the bad water out of the pipes for 3 days. Seems like a long time but the big problem was leaks. Trees uprooting and busting pipes, houses destroyed/swept away. You have to find those things and plug the leaks before you can restore serviceIn a hurricane, water seems like the last thing to worry about but that water needs to be drinkable.
                    Some times i think preppers go over the top. They plan for a complete breakdown of law & order. Stock up and guns. Without a militia for support i doubt they could hold raiders off for long.
                    Most of the Preppers I see that take that approach are older and out of shape. They will be dead when their medicine runs out and their insulin goes bad from lack of refrigeration

Will you stockpile canned food now
                    No, I'll leave for every storm from now on.

I'm going to update my "Life after the storm" thread with some lessons learned and what the new normal is almost 18 months later. I think a lot of people will be shocked to the reality of recovery from a massive disaster.

Prepping for this virus event is different
                    Last edited by Gun Grape; 07 Mar 20,, 06:30.

Comment

170 global coronavirus deaths total as of thursday, not what you call an epidemic at any measure.

Smallpox (1900-2000) 300,000,000 deaths worldwide
                      Plague (middle ages) 10,000,000 deaths
                      Spanish Flu (1918) 70,000 deaths
                      Last edited by Wonderful Plans; 07 Mar 20,, 22:17.
                      Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderful Plans View Post
                        170 global coronavirus deaths total as of thursday, not what you call an epidemic at any measure.

It is still very early days on COVID-19.

CDC's authoritative estimates of deaths related to H1N1 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic are at least 50,000,000 deaths globally and 675,000 deaths in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html

Comment

*facepalm*

STOP. LISTENING. TO. DONALD. FUCKING. TRUMP.

Coronavirus Worldwide Cases: 105,977

Coronavirus Worldwide Deaths: 3,569

Epidemic: A widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a community at a particular time
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            *facepalm*

STOP. LISTENING. TO. DONALD. FUCKING. TRUMP.

Coronavirus Worldwide Cases: 105,977

Coronavirus Worldwide Deaths: 3,569

Epidemic: A widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a community at a particular time
                            I didn't quote recent article, here is a recent article.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates...es-2020-03-07/

The number of cases worldwide continues to climb. According to data compiled by Johns Hopkins, there have been more than 102,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19. More than 57,000 people have recovered, and more than 3,400 people have died.

Not an epidemic, not nothing either.
                            Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

Not an epidemic, not nothing either.
                              You're right, it's a pandemic.

According to the CDC, there are different levels of disease, based on how widespread it is and how often it occurs within a community.

The first level is called “endemic.” This is the amount of disease usually present in a community; the constant presence or usual occurrence of a disease or infectious agent in a population. It’s also referred to as the “baseline level” of a disease.

An “epidemic” is a sudden increase in the number of cases of a disease above the endemic level for that area.

However, the term “outbreak,” although having the same definition as epidemic, is typically when the disease occurs in a relatively small area.

Finally, a “pandemic” is an epidemic that’s spread over several countries or continents. It usually affects a large number of people.

“A pandemic is person-to-person spread of a disease causing significant illness and death on an exceptionally broad worldwide scale. As opposed to an epidemic, which would be the spread of a disease to an area such as a community, nation, or portions of the world, as well as tending to be a non-exceptional occurrence,”

Comment

Up to a good part of last century it was believed the influenza pandemic of 1918 killed around 20 million people worldwide.

Towards the end of 20th C, the figure rose to 25 million

Of late the figure quoted is anywhere from 50 to 100 million

Total toll for that flu epidemic for the US is 675k or more than all americans that died in all wars since WW1 which is around 620k odd.

The question is do you believe this virus will kill as many as the flu did in the US last year ?
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Mar 20,, 01:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X