Coronavirus: the Chinese Political Angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus: the Chinese Political Angle

The social aspect of the spread of this virus across Chinese society, the belief I'm sure some in China have of it's really worse than the Chinese are saying, the heavy handed street tactics, Xi reported to have disappeared from state media which is unusual for him, this crisis represents an existential threat I think. I imagine Xi and others know this and will have scapegoats lined up. So who will that be, local Wuhan officials? Maybe Li Keqiang?

If Xinhui were still here, he would comment on the crisis management. Where is that guy?

Comment

Pakistan has abandoned its citizens in China. More than 1500 Pakistani citizens are still stranded in Hubei. More than 500 of them are in Wuhan. Unable to return, some of them reached out to WION to register a plea for help. Here is what they told us.

Pakistan does not even having required medical facilities. What the hell are they doing with nuclear weapons (copied from YT comments).
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

The CCP is being accused of suppressing information of the virus during the initial breakout

Comment

'Please evacuate us': 800 Pakistan students plead for help to escape Wuhan

The group have been confined to a hostel for three weeks and want their government to help them fly back home

Hundreds of Pakistani students trapped in the Chinese city at the centre of the coronavirus outbreak have said they are going through “mental torture” and pleaded with their government to help get them out.

Rehan Rasheed, who has been studying medicine in Wuhan since 2015, criticised the Pakistan government and prime minister Imran Khan for refusing to bring back the more than 800 students who have been trapped in the city since it was locked down by the Chinese authorities in an attempt to contain the outbreak.

He also said five Pakistani student studying at Wuhan’s university of science and technology had contracted the virus.

“We are not being evacuated and we are not being supported,” said Rasheed, speaking on the phone from China. “We are all very scared, this is a terrible situation. We have been imprisoned in a hostel room for more than 20 days. For the past three days we have not been allowed to leave at all, even for food, and are surrounded by fear.”

The students have witnessed their counterparts from India, Nepal, Bangladesh, the US, UK and other countries board evacuation flights provided by their governments. Officials in the Pakistan government urged the group to “remain calm”. Pakistan has close ties to China and government figures have repeatedly congratulated the Chinese government for their handling of the outbreak.

The refusal to evacuate the students back to Pakistan is also thought to be due to fears that the country does not have the medical facilities or capabilities to safely quarantine the returnees or handle a coronavirus outbreak on Pakistani soil. Pakistan has a poor record of handling disease outbreaks and is one of only two countries in the world which has failed to eliminate polio.

Imran Khan said in a tweet: “I have issued instructions to our Foreign Office and Overseas Ministry to do everything possible for our students who are stuck in Wuhan city.”

By Thursday, the number of people in China who had died from coronavirus had risen to 1,368 and the number infected is 59,805.

Rasheen added: “It is clear that our government don’t want to take us out from this situation. We met with people from the Wuhan authorities and they told us they have no problem with us leaving but that ‘your government is not willing to accept you or to receive you back home’.

‘‘It is mental torture here every morning. We appreciate what Chinese authorities are doing but they are not sure we will survive this, so we are asking our state to help us. Please evacuate us.”

His plea was echoed by Amjad Hussain, a PhD student at China University of Geoscience, who has been studying in Wuhan for three years. “There is panic here,” said Hussain. “Definitely there is anger among students against Pakistani state for doing nothing. We just want to know why is Pakistan not helping us and evacuating us? I want to go back home and want my country to help.”

The anger and pain was also felt by the students’ relatives back in Pakistan. Abdul Rasheed Baloch, Rasheed’s father, who lives in the Balochistan region of Pakistan, said: “I’m more than concerned. I feel like I have no soul. My heart and mind is there, with my son.”

Baloch said he was speaking to his son daily to keep the hope alive. “Talking to him everyday keeps me going or else I feel I’m dead,” he added. “There is no help from the government of Pakistan. Nothing at all.”
          And they have nukes!
          Last edited by Oracle; 14 Feb 20,, 02:34.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

WTF????

Colonel, are you involved? :D
            Last edited by Oracle; 15 Feb 20,, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
              WTF????

Colonel, are you involved? :D
              The stealing from Canada angle comes from this website

https://greatgameindia.com/

Yet to decide whether these people are legit or not.

Comment

Originally posted by rj1 View Post
                Xi reported to have disappeared from state media which is unusual for him, this crisis represents an existential threat I think. I imagine Xi and others know this and will have scapegoats lined up. So who will that be, local Wuhan officials? Maybe Li Keqiang?
                Wuhan officials cannot do anything unless the centre says so, so holding them accountable for towing the line isn't going to work.

Going by what Jaydev says Xi's second term is looking increasingly unlikely.

When Xi gave his New year's speech you'd think he never heard of coronavirus. Every thing positive and cheery.

Quite a bit of dissent brewing already.

Trade war, HK, Taiwan and now this.

He's been dealt a tough hand.

Could not make out the name of the Tsinghua prof mentioned in this discussion. Found it i think

Chinese scholar blames Xi Jinping, Communist Party for not controlling coronavirus outbreak | SCMP | Feb 06 2020

Xu Zhangrun, a law professor at Tsinghua University in Beijing, who has been under close surveillance by the authorities, blamed Communist Party leaders for putting politics ahead of the people in his strongly worded piece, which was published on several overseas Chinese-language websites this week.
                That is how Chinese dissent shows itself. In overseas publications.

During the early stages of the outbreak, China’s authorities maintained tight control over the disclosure and sharing of information about the outbreak, and officials made repeated assurances to the public that there were no signs of human transmission of the coronavirus.
                Yes, the govt has a choice of wholesale panic in the population or it can spread disinformation so as to buy time to get organised.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Feb 20,, 12:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Going by what Jaydev says Xi's second term is looking increasingly unlikely.
                  I think you mean third?

CCP General Secretary
                  1st term Nov 15 2012 - October 24 2017
                  2nd term Oct 25 2017 - ca. Oct/Nov 2022

PRC President
                  1st term March 14, 2013 - March 17, 2018
                  2nd term March 17, 2018 - ca. March 2023

MAC Chair
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                    I think you mean third?

CCP General Secretary

PRC President
                    1st term March 14, 2013 - March 17, 2018
                    2nd term March 17, 2018 - ca. March 2023

MAC Chair
                    Yes, for some reason i'm under the impression Chinese Presidents get ten year terms : )

His president for life title is going to be challenged

Comment

Newscasters always make big news out of minor viruses. Its always infection rates of like 1 in 100,000.... hardly an epidemic. In recent memory we fot chicken pox, zika, sars and chicken flu... all of whom were making huge headlines and affecting almost nobody.
                      Hit the grape lethally.

Comment

Because we got ahead of the curve. Isolation and reduction. You have doctors and nurses dying from this, ie people who know the prevention protocals. There is no cure, no vacine for COVID-19 and the only protocal we have is quarrantine. If COVID-10 hits you bad, the best we can do is supportive care, ie to help your body fight the virus off but there is nothing we can do to kill the virus itself without killing the human body.
                        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                          If COVID-10 hits you bad, the best we can do is supportive care, ie to help your body fight the virus off but there is nothing we can do to kill the virus itself without killing the human body.
                          It's possible to recover from mild infections

Click image for larger version

Name:	recovered.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1478632

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Yes, for some reason i'm under the impression Chinese Presidents get ten year terms : )

His president for life title is going to be challenged
                            Easy to understand: 2x5=10
                            Trust me?
                            I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                              Easy to understand: 2x5=10
                              Well, has there even been a Chinese President who didn't get a second 5 yr term ?

I can't think of one and they haven't had that many since Mao

So you watch these things in detail, to me those two year terms gel into one

Imagine the surprise when people express doubts that 'President for life' won't get an extension.

Another example, remember that time you were explaining Jiang Zemins problems with the PLA. They would not listen to him.

PLA is not a national army. PLA is the army of the party. CCP is a party with an army.

So its inconceivable PLA won't follow the CCP chief, yes ?

..it happens....
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 20 Feb 20,, 11:48.

Comment

Working...
                              X