Coronavirus: the Chinese Political Angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    Here's an excellent video from Vox that breaks this down.
    It's a great video

Post #58

; )

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      From what I understand, the problem in China isn't the type of animals they eat, it's how things are conducted in the "wet" markets where they're sold.

First off, the wet markets sell live animals, which are either slaughtered for you upon purchase, or which you purchase live to take elsewhere for slaughtering Secondly, there's dozens or more types of animals all being sold in these wet markets, in close proximity to other species of animals, in wire cages that are often stacked up high where different types of animals are pissing, shitting, and transmitting other body fluids onto other animals directly below them, which vastly increases the likelihood of cross-species transmission of disease.

The original SARS virus originated in a Chinese wet market in Guangdong, and this SARS-2 originated in a wet market in Wuhan.

Here's an excellent video from Vox that breaks this down.

Yes. No one asked the right question till now, which is the 'wet markets' of 3rd world countries or why China. Since no one asked, I thought my posting of this very same Vox video would make posters understand. You posted it twice, including this one.

And I don't know if I should thank my lucky stars that COVID-19 originated from China, had it originated from India, the results would have been far worse. Lastly, wildlife is highly regulated in India, no catching, killing, selling or eating. Some eating is there. :D

But another COVID can originate from the millions of broiler stalls that go on doing their business in the most unhygenic way in India. Perishables should be a highly regulated market. Slaughtering should be done at only government recognised butcher shops. Bird flu isn't some disease which cropped up among the broiler population all of a sudden, this also came from other species. Most probably migratory birds, the germ didn't affect the host, and the host acted as the carrier. So, if anyone has plans to start a chicken farm, make sure you don't have a big enough pond to store spare water for your business. Medium to big ponds attract migratory birds.

Also, China's stupid animal law is causing the illegal trade in wild animals. Tigers? The CPC must be F kidding me. Eating a tiger's testicles boosts one's testosterone levels? Because of the demand for Rhino's horns, the one horned Rhino almost became extinct in Assam (India). The Chinese pay almost 10K USD for a live gecko lizard, can you believe that? I have 2 geckos at home, probably 2, wild ones, not sure where they have made their home though. Their sound is funny. It's like KOK-KE.....KOK-KE....lol.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        Yes. No one asked the right question till now, which is the 'wet markets' of 3rd world countries or why China. Since no one asked, I thought my posting of this very same Vox video would make posters understand. You posted it twice, including this one.

And I don't know if I should thank my lucky stars that COVID-19 originated from China, had it originated from India, the results would have been far worse. Lastly, wildlife is highly regulated in India, no catching, killing, selling or eating. Some eating is there. :D

But another COVID can originate from the millions of broiler stalls that go on doing their business in the most unhygenic way in India. Perishables should be a highly regulated market. Slaughtering should be done at only government recognised butcher shops. Bird flu isn't some disease which cropped up among the broiler population all of a sudden, this also came from other species. Most probably migratory birds, the germ didn't affect the host, and the host acted as the carrier. So, if anyone has plans to start a chicken farm, make sure you don't have a big enough pond to store spare water for your business. Medium to big ponds attract migratory birds.

Also, China's stupid animal law is causing the illegal trade in wild animals. Tigers? The CPC must be F kidding me. Eating a tiger's testicles boosts one's testosterone levels? Because of the demand for Rhino's horns, the one horned Rhino almost became extinct in Assam (India). The Chinese pay almost 10K USD for a live gecko lizard, can you believe that? I have 2 geckos at home, probably 2, wild ones, not sure where they have made their home though. Their sound is funny. It's like KOK-KE.....KOK-KE....lol.
        I strongly feel that it is less about medical benefits and more about status symbol. Imagine a business man throwing a banquet for government officials and other business men, wouldn't his standing increase if he paid to serve all this exotic meat. That's why a friend told me that majority of the Chinese don't indulge in wild meat but it is the minority comprising the elite who demand these products. I also had several friends who thought it unethical to consume shark fin soup but these same people served the soup for their wedding banquets. Not doing so would have made them look cheap before friends and relatives...
        Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
          I strongly feel that it is less about medical benefits and more about status symbol. Imagine a business man throwing a banquet for government officials and other business men, wouldn't his standing increase if he paid to serve all this exotic meat. That's why a friend told me that majority of the Chinese don't indulge in wild meat but it is the minority comprising the elite who demand these products. I also had several friends who thought it unethical to consume shark fin soup but these same people served the soup for their wedding banquets. Not doing so would have made them look cheap before friends and relatives...
          Ahhh, right right. Like how people here think buying a smartphone will increase their social status. Good explanation, first time you're not pissed at me. :D
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
            That's what the Vox video says. It's the rich that drive the wild life market. They're the ones with an appetite for game.

Comment

So no chance of it happening in India as various animals have to be kept in close proximity and for long enough for the virus to mutate into something worthwhile.

The present theory is the virus came from a bat, infected a pangolin (anteater) and from there jumped to humans.

The virus in the bat would not affect people even if they ate the infected bat.

It's that one in a million mutation that occurred in the pangolin that became infectious to humans.

But another COVID can originate from the millions of broiler stalls that go on doing their business in the most unhygenic way in India. Perishables should be a highly regulated market. Slaughtering should be done at only government recognised butcher shops.
              Bird flu outbreaks have occurred several times in India over the last two decades. Markets might be unhygenic but clean them up and you end up with something that you find in the west. Unremarkable. You won't find anything exotic in an Indian wet market..maybe you will in the NE. But if laws are strict then they would be illegal ones. Small and between known buyers.

In China its legal so they do it on a commercial scale.

Bird flu isn't some disease which cropped up among the broiler population all of a sudden, this also came from other species. Most probably migratory birds, the germ didn't affect the host, and the host acted as the carrier. So, if anyone has plans to start a chicken farm, make sure you don't have a big enough pond to store spare water for your business. Medium to big ponds attract migratory birds.
              Bird is not the carrier. It has the virus. Birds do get sick as a result and then the entire flock has to be culled to stem it.

How big are these geckos ? i have a few running around the house. Since they go after other insects, i leave them alone. They're small only a few inches long.

I remember watching a pair stalking this insect on a window. Both approach it from opposite ends. Then they strike. Now its a tug of war between the two and they prey is split in half. All this happens in a matter of seconds. Dramatic!
              Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Mar 20,, 15:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                Bird is not the carrier. It has the virus. Birds do get sick as a result and then the entire flock has to be culled to stem it.
                I was talking about migratory birds passing on the pathogen. Those do not get sick, they act as the carrier.

How big are these geckos ? i have a few running around the house. Since they go after other insects, i leave them alone. They're small only a few inches long.

I remember watching a pair stalking this insect on a window. Both approach it from opposite ends. Then they strike. Now its a tug of war between the two and they prey is split in half. All this happens in a matter of seconds. Dramatic!
                8-10 inches. Good thing to leave them alone, apart from their funny and sometimes annoying call, they're pleasant animals, but very shy, it's rare that I see them. My mom says they are some kind of infected and those pimples over their whole body are proof of that. Lol.

Comment

I was talking about migratory birds passing on the pathogen. Those do not get sick, they act as the carrier.
                  I don't think its migratory birds. Its mass breeding in close proximity that does it. Transmitted between the chickens

This happens all over the world i expect, so the birds have to be given medicine in the feed. Since there are many who breed chickens not all can do this.

8-10 inches. Good thing to leave them alone, apart from their funny and sometimes annoying call, they're pleasant animals, but very shy, it's rare that I see them. My mom says they are some kind of infected and those pimples over their whole body are proof of that. Lol.
                  Those are adults, i've seen a few but only in large gardens.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Mar 20,, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    I don't think its migratory birds. Its mass breeding in close proximity that does it. Transmitted between the chickens

This happens all over the world i expect, so the birds have to be given medicine in the feed. Since there are many who breed chickens not all can do this.
                    Bird flu came from migratory birds, I read it in some report years back.

Those are adults, i've seen a few but only in large gardens.
                    How do you know? I think they grow much bigger than 10 inches, not that I've seen one like 30 inches or so. As I said, they are kind of shy, tough to spot them.

Comment

Found it in my YT feed just now. Have not watched it yet.

Comment

India occupied? Dumbass, these buggers. Why did Modi even invite Paks into this meeting? Terroristan should be ignored, cornered and bombed. Jahil jihadis.

Comment

Why are so many Italians dying? Their healthcare is so shitty?

Comment

Research finds huge impact of interventions on spread of Covid-19 | Guardian | Mar 11 2020

Sophisticated modelling of the outbreak suggests that China had 114,325 cases by the end of February 2020, a figure that would have been 67 times higher without interventions such as early detection, isolation of the infected, and travel restrictions.

But if the interventions could have been brought in a week earlier, 66% fewer people would have been infected, the analysis found.

The same measures brought in three weeks earlier could have reduced cases by 95%.
                            So that's the thing about speed over perfection.

So Chinese were too slow to act, what about the rest of us !!!

The study suggests it was crucial to move fast with the interventions China used to contain the outbreak. If testing, isolation and travel bans were brought in one, two or three weeks later than they were, the number of cases could have rocketed three, seven and 18-fold respectively.
                            But they acted fast enough not to have some global disaster.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Mar 20,, 21:40.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	corona.png
Views:	2
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1478681

PM urges world to think of 'debt-write offs' to help nations like Pakistan cope with virus

Yep, as guessed, Im the Dim is begging again. Pakistan has all the money for nukes, spreading terrorism, kill minorities baloch, pashtuns, shias, but not for healthcare.
                              Last edited by Oracle; 17 Mar 20,, 12:11.

Comment

Coronavirus latest updates: 54,000 people across country under community surveillance

3 dead so far. Are we doing a better job than most countries inspite of having a huge population.

Comment

Working...
                                X