Coronavirus: the Chinese Political Angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hboGYT View Post
    You should've messaged me. I only saw it now.

I leave this one to SJWs. I have a very narrow focus - East Asians - a group who's often neglected by the narrative driven, virtue signalling, liberal left. Not that I don't sympathise with the Africans here. It's just they're already in good hands - those detestable narrative driven, virtue signalling, liberal leftist.

Edit 1: also, I don't think the Chinese MSM will denounce it. The government will probably just order those stores to remove the signs, on the quiet.

Edit 2: it's like, everybody makes a big deal of the glass ceiling for women, but doesn't give a damn about the bamboo ceiling for Asians.
    My issue is not with ordinary Chinese, the issue has always been the PRC controlling the minds of common Chinese. Some shitheads are everywhere, doesn't mean the whole community is to blame.

I tagged you, so that from now on you don't cry hoarse every time you see an incident of racism in the west against Chinese. Not everyone is a douche. Hope you get my point after all these years. Racism is a very broad subject.

Maybe, who knows, some Africans have imported Corona from their home countries now (and locals are mad), just as China exported it to the whole world earlier.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      My issue is not with ordinary Chinese, the issue has always been the PRC controlling the minds of common Chinese. Some shitheads are everywhere, doesn't mean the whole community is to blame.

I tagged you, so that from now on you don't cry hoarse every time you see an incident of racism in the west against Chinese. Not everyone is a douche. Hope you get my point after all these years. Racism is a very broad subject.

Maybe, who knows, some Africans have imported Corona from their home countries now (and locals are mad), just as China exported it to the whole world earlier.
      I knew about discrimination against blacks in China way before this.

My view is that, even when people say they distinguish between the Chinese government and the Chinese people, it is difficult for some of them to avoid the subconscious association. It contributes to the other'ing of Asians, who are viewed as "perpetual foreigners". That's why I make a point to correct any perceived fake news, half truths or sensationalism. However, this is not why I come to WAB. People here are generally above that. I some times remark that certain articles rely on caricature. That is not to blame anyone here for racism.
      Last edited by hboGYT; 13 Apr 20,, 14:28.

Comment

• If generalizations are permitted, North-east Asians are the most racist people I've ever met. Anyone with darker skin is lower class, and the darker it is the lower. Field workers are looked down upon by those who work indoors, but it goes way beyond class.

The Koreans hate the Japanese and vice versa.
        The Chinese hate the Japanese and don't want their daughters to have anything to do with Koreans.
        No one likes the Mogols, Uighers, Tibetans, Miao,
        Northern Chinese don't trust southern Chinese. Forget about the Bai, Dai, Dong, Lisu, Manchu, Zhuang, Yao or Yi. Hui are highly suspect, too, just because they’re Muslim (Han Chinese).
        Everyone north of Hong Kong doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone from South-east Asia, except South-east Asian Chinese.
        Indians? Pakistanis? Bangladeshi? Nepalese? Tamals? No, no, no, and no.

That's my experience.
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

[ATTACH]48486[/ATTACH]
          Liberals are onboard

And can you PLEASE link to your tweets. Remember how i showed you to do that ?

Click the graphic takes us to the tweet. Number of these are videos with something to say.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Apr 20,, 20:56.

Comment

[ATTACH]48477[/ATTACH]
            They can't be "importing" the virus if they never left.

After enduring months of lockdown, Africans in China are being targeted and evicted from apartments | Qz | Apr 12 2020

While many African students and other migrants were keen to leave China at the start of the outbreak, many others decided to stay and take their chances on the Chinese health authorities being best placed to cope with the outbreak than the underfunded health systems in their countries.

But this week, five Nigerians reportedly tested positive for Covid-19 in the southern city of Guangzhou. According to state media, the men broke quarantine and frequented a restaurant where they infected its owner, who then passed the virus on to her eight-year-old daughter.

These reports seem to be what has sparked the current wave of suspicion and anti-foreigner sentiment in the city. “I’ve been sleeping under the bridge for four days with no food to eat… I cannot buy food anywhere, no shops or restaurants will serve me,” a 24-year-old student from Uganda told the AFP news agency.

Even those who have not left China since the outbreak began have also been forcibly tested, moved into quarantine or evicted from their apartments.
            Eh ? five Nigerians that broke quarantine means all Africans are PNG now

Just imagine what people from Wuhan have to put up with elsewhere in China.

However, according to statistics published by Chinese state media this week, Britons, Americans and Filipinos, not Africans, account for more than half of foreigners living in Guangzhou who have the virus. But there are no indications, they have been subject to evictions.
            Africa is going to be a big growth area in the future. China has interests there yet we see the left hand does not speak to the right hand.

In the end this is just fear talking. Why. I was told China beat this virus. Why are the people so scared. Govt said its ok to go out but they won't go out or it takes a few weeks for them to start.

Originally posted by DOR View Post
            The Chinese long-game is a myth. Look at financial reform, for just one example: Lots of discussion over many years, but when it comes time to make a move, little happens.
            More Indians need to grasp that bolded bit. China's image around the world should be paramount. You'd think CCP'd do more to defend that image by not allowing this virus to get out as it did. To be seen in the eyes of the world as helping instead of obstructing.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Apr 20,, 19:36.

Comment

• Previous article said the Nigerians infected a restaurant owner and her 8 yr old daughter. This one says more went on.

'If you're black you can't go out': Africans in China face racism in Covid-19 crackdown | France 24 | Apr 11 2020

Local authorities in the industrial centre of 15 million said at least eight people diagnosed with the illness had spent time in the city's Yuexiu district, known as "Little Africa".

Five were Nigerian nationals who faced widespread anger after reports surfaced that they had broken a mandatory quarantine and been to eight restaurants and other public places instead of staying home.

As a result, nearly 2,000 people they came into contact with had to be tested for Covid-19 or undergo quarantine, state media said.

Guangzhou had confirmed 114 imported coronavirus cases as of Thursday – 16 of which were Africans. The rest were returning Chinese nationals.
              That's what did it.

The infections in Guangzhou have sparked a torrent of abuse online, with many Chinese internet users posting racist comments and calling for all Africans to be deported.

Last week a controversial cartoon depicting foreigners as different types of trash to be sorted through went viral on social media.

"There's just this crazy fear that anybody who's African might have been in contact with somebody who was sick," said David, a Canadian living in Guangzhou who did not want to give his full name.

China's foreign ministry acknowledged this week that there had been some "misunderstandings" with the African community.
              Remarkable exchange by the speaker of Nigeria's parliament with the Chinese Ambassador to nigeria

https://twitter.com/femigbaja/status...98266889457664

"When China engages Africa it's the central government that does that, but when it comes to immigration enforcement that happens at the local level," said Eric Olander, managing editor of the China Africa Project.

"That explains why there's an inconsistency in the more upbeat messaging we hear about Chinese diplomacy on the continent and the increasingly difficult realities that African traders, students and other expatriates face in their day-to-day lives in China."
              Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Apr 20,, 19:12.

Comment

[ATTACH]48475[/ATTACH]
                True

These communities might have more infections than the average so they are being watched closer.

Comment

• Originally posted by hboGYT View Post
                  I knew about discrimination against blacks in China way before this.
                  I honestly didn't knew that.

My view is that, even when people say they distinguish between the Chinese government and the Chinese people, it is difficult for some of them to avoid the subconscious association. It contributes to the other'ing of Asians, who are viewed as "perpetual foreigners". That's why I make a point to correct any perceived fake news, half truths or sensationalism. However, this is not why I come to WAB. People here are generally above that. I some times remark that certain articles rely on caricature. That is not to blame anyone here for racism.
                  I'm an asian too, well, atleast that is what BBC typecasts us as. NYTimes, WaPo, Guardian, BBC, and a lot of these leftist publications - you think they're kind towards India? Hell no. Whatever junk they write, doesn't go on to become state policies. I understand that you get offended, but hey, ignore racists, and try to find meaning in facts. You will feel just fine.

But, whatever China is getting at the moment, that is the PRC's kings and queens, they deserve it and more. I fully support that, and I guess you know that by now.
                  Last edited by Oracle; 14 Apr 20,, 14:13.
                  Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                    If generalizations are permitted, North-east Asians are the most racist people I've ever met. Anyone with darker skin is lower class, and the darker it is the lower. Field workers are looked down upon by those who work indoors, but it goes way beyond class.

The Koreans hate the Japanese and vice versa.
                    The Chinese hate the Japanese and don't want their daughters to have anything to do with Koreans.
                    No one likes the Mogols, Uighers, Tibetans, Miao,
                    Northern Chinese don't trust southern Chinese. Forget about the Bai, Dai, Dong, Lisu, Manchu, Zhuang, Yao or Yi. Hui are highly suspect, too, just because they’re Muslim (Han Chinese).
                    Everyone north of Hong Kong doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone from South-east Asia, except South-east Asian Chinese.
                    Indians? Pakistanis? Bangladeshi? Nepalese? Tamals? No, no, no, and no.

That's my experience.
                    Your experience is not without fault.

Had Pakistan not stabbed India repeatedly in the back, Indians - well the newer generation, wouldn't hate Pakistanis. I, don't have hate for ordinary Pakistanis. Mine is reserved for the PA, ISI, and the religious abduls. I would go on to say, I quite like the idea of bombing Pakistan and reducing the PA to a police force with sticks. You are free to disagree, not my concern. But do an honest assessment before you talk about India and Pakistan in the same breath.

What in the hell are Tamals?

A section of Indians hate a section of Bangladeshis and vice-versa. There is a lot of history associated. Google it.

Indians and Nepalese do not hate each other. I made some comments about Nepalese citizens living and working in India (wrt BRI/China and the political leadership of Nepal), and that was purely geo-political, not hate or racism.

India is a very vast country. States, religion, food, language, dialects, etcetera. One normally needs 2 lives to understand the length and breadth of India. You'd need 3.

Comment

• China is good at many things, just not propaganda. This Covid-19 story about India proves it

Vasily Vereshchagin was the court painter of Général Konstantin Petrovich von Kaufmann, the man who captured central Asia for the Tsar in the mid-1800s. Vasily’s brilliant paintings of what was then collectively called Turkestan, captured the Russian public imagination — showing audiences back in Sankt-Petersburg the ‘barbarism’ or ‘exoticness’ of these Asian regions and why Holy Mother Russia needed to extend her ‘benevolence’ to this region.

Vasily’s paintings set in motion the Orientalist phase of Russian art, where every Tsar wanted something Oriental (central/south Asian) in his palace. The most glorious of this being parts of the Yusupov Palace (the same Yusupovs who assassinated Rasputin and were rumoured to be richer than the tsar). The public also embraced this Orientalist phase with the most prominent Russian composers incorporating faux Oriental themes in their music, be it Aleksandr Borodin’s stunning Polovtsian dances in the opera Prince Igor, or the incredibly dramatic Scheherazade by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov.

Vasily, like all good propagandists, also romanticised ‘good Orientals’. His famous painting of the British blowing up Indian mutineers with cannons in 1857 became a byword for the tyranny of the British during the Crimean War much later and probably justified Russia’s need to conquer India from Britain. The British Crown purchased the painting and it was never seen again.

Fast forward to 2020. While we no longer need court painters for propaganda, we do still need propaganda. However, unlike Russian influence and psyops (psychological operations) that have progressed and allegedly ‘regime changed’ the US in 2016 (something the USSR had failed to do), the Chinese psyops are still stuck in the 1800s.

The China story
                      One simple example of China’s absurd propaganda is the story that has now become viral on China’s social platform WeChat, as pointed out by The Hindu’s journalist Ananth Krishnan.

This story takes the reality of Indian life and spins it into an altogether fanciful yarn. It centres around a Chinese businessman living in India, who tells his audience that all Indians are lazy, and need constant supervision (largely true, because quality control is a function of labour laws); is entertained by a doctor taken into what is subtly implied to be a Covid-19 isolation ward (because, you know, Indian doctors are so keen to entertain Chinese businessmen with an anthropological bent of mind) and sees horrific conditions.

The Chinese businessman insists Indian media is state-controlled for the duration of this crisis and that in India Hindu-Muslims riots are as routine an occurrence as visiting the grocer. He says Indians don’t practice social segregation because rich Indians love to look at poor people to feel good about how they live (the reality is in a democracy, where lack of rule enforcement substitutes for social mobility, such coexistence of slums and posh life is just a social inevitability). He finally claims it doesn’t matter because India is a lawless place where the rich are protected by gun-toting guards and Indian has the second-highest ownership of guns.

PR disaster
                      This story tells you more about China and Chinese psychology than it does about India.

The reality is the information restrictions on Chinese citizens called the “great firewall of China” mean that the Chinese have about as much access to the outside world as Russians did in the 1850s. This despite being a phenomenally technologically forward society and increasing numbers of Chinese travelling the world. Note where they travel — Europe, America and Australia. You see they want to see what’s ‘better than them’, not what’s ‘worse than them’. Since much of its social and economic indicators are far behind the West or indeed the Middle East, for long, China has used ‘near-Occidentalism’ to show its population how good they have it. Obviously, India, which got left behind economically in the 1980s and is considered a rival, becomes the obvious target of these stories.

The second factor that influences Chinese psyops is that just like India, the investment in primary research in the humanities is almost non-existent. Unlike Western students who opt for semesters or internships abroad, most Chinese do not. Consequently, you have a problem where those tasked with psyops neither have a good understanding of the outside world nor any interest in gaining any.

This is why the coronavirus pandemic has been a PR disaster for China, starting with the use of bots on Twitter to being unable to spin stories to cover the mass failure of Chinese medical equipment.

So, the only tool China can use — mostly in a ham-handed fashion — is money, be it multi-page ads in The New York Times or The Washington Post to denying or restricting market access.

In short, China is good at many things, sadly it’s propaganda wing was, is and will remain a 19th-century anachronistic joke in the 21st century. We might as well enjoy it in all its glory.

Comment

Your experience is not without fault.

Had Pakistan not stabbed India repeatedly in the back, Indians - well the newer generation, wouldn't hate Pakistanis. I, don't have hate for ordinary Pakistanis. Mine is reserved for the PA, ISI, and the religious abduls. I would go on to say, I quite like the idea of bombing Pakistan and reducing the PA to a police force with sticks. You are free to disagree, not my concern. But do an honest assessment before you talk about India and Pakistan in the same breath.

What in the hell are Tamals?

A section of Indians hate a section of Bangladeshis and vice-versa. There is a lot of history associated. Google it.

Indians and Nepalese do not hate each other. I made some comments about Nepalese citizens living and working in India (wrt BRI/China and the political leadership of Nepal), and that was purely geo-political, not hate or racism.

India is a very vast country. States, religion, food, language, dialects, etcetera. One normally needs 2 lives to understand the length and breadth of India. You'd need 3.
                        Tamils.
                        Typo.

Read what I wrote: Everyone north of Hong Kong ...

Although I have travelled quite a lot in South Asia, I wouldn't pretend to understand Indian-Pakistani -Bangladeshi -Nepalese -etc relations. All I'm writing about is how North-East Asian feel about other Asians.
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                          Tamils.
                          Typo.

Read what I wrote: Everyone north of Hong Kong ...

Although I have travelled quite a lot in South Asia, I wouldn't pretend to understand Indian-Pakistani -Bangladeshi -Nepalese -etc relations. All I'm writing about is how North-East Asian feel about other Asians.
                          It's alright. You mentioned Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Nepalese and hence my rebuttal.

Sri Lankan Tamils are not our concern. Sinhalese hate Tamils in Sri Lanka and vice-versa. There also is a history to that. Pakistan, 1971. The thing is India was the Sheriff in the IOR some decades back, and for some reason, since we started making some money we lost our direction. Smaller countries need to be whacked from time to time, to make sure they stay in line. Savvy?

Comment

• Kazakhstan summons Chinese ambassador in protest over article

Lol.

Comment

I'm an asian too, well, atleast that is what BBC typecasts us as. NYTimes, WaPo, Guardian, BBC
                              The term Asian refers to different countries for Americans & Brits.

For Americans its everybody to the east of India. Coming from the NE you might pass for one. I would not. US has a history with many countries in that region. Aussies follow the same convention.

For the Brits its only people of the subcontinent. Paks, Indians, Nepal, Banglas, Sri Lanka. Maldives. People to the east would be referred to whatever country they were from. Afghans are Afghans. Burmese are Burmese.

Technically everyone between Lebanon & Japan is Asian as in comes from the continent of Asia but Arabs are never referred to as Asian by either Brits or Americans.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Apr 20,, 03:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                                The term Asian refers to different countries for Americans & Brits.

For Americans its everybody to the east of India. Coming from the NE you might pass for one. I would not. US has a history with many countries in that region. Aussies follow the same convention.

For the Brits its only people of the subcontinent. Paks, Indians, Nepal, Banglas, Sri Lanka. Maldives. People to the east would be referred to whatever country they were from. Afghans are Afghans. Burmese are Burmese.
                                Semantics huh! Why do you think I'd care for semantics when I dislike leftist publications? There are 1000000..... leftist publications, then there are 100 ones at the other end. Nothing centre-right.

Comment

Working...
                                X