Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 358

Thread: 2020 American Political Scene

  1. #256
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,506
    GOP Senate Nominee 'Literally Physically In Tears' After Campaign Retracts QAnon Support

    The Republican nominee for Oregon’s U.S. Senate seat is a staunch supporter of QAnon and is fighting against her own campaign to promote the dangerous conspiracy network.

    Insurance agent Jo Rae Perkins won the GOP nomination by a landslide earlier this week to run against Sen. Jeff Merkley, a Democrat. Part of her voter appeal might be her belief in QAnon, a right-wing conspiracy that claims President Donald Trump is involved in stopping a pedophile network of Satan-worshipping cannibals who have infiltrated every level of government and the mass media.

    Republicans, including the National Republican Senatorial Committee and The White House, have so far declined to comment on their new ally, ABC News reported. But Perkins own campaign team attempted to distance its candidate from QAnon on Wednesday, saying in a statement that Perkins “would never describe herself as a follower.”

    Perkins didn’t agree with that statement, telling ABC News the following day that she was “literally physically in tears” after she read the statement on her personal Twitter account.

    “My campaign is gonna kill me,” Perkins told the publication. “How do I say this? Some people think that I follow Q like I follow Jesus. Q is the information and I stand with the information resource.”

    That “information resource” is bunk and has led to dangerous real-world consequences. In 2018, a man took his AR-15 and his armored car to Hoover Dam to demand the government come clean about supposed crimes related to QAnon beliefs. A Colorado woman was arrested earlier this year after attempting to kidnap her son with the help of QAnon followers. And the New York Police Department arrested a woman in April who was carrying 18 knives and threatened political figures.
    _____________

    Hey, remember when Sarah Palin was considered "rock bottom" of the GOP gene pool? Good times...

    Speaking of the rock bottom of the GOP gene pool, I wonder how Donald Trump and his Campaign feel about these batshit posterboys for retroactive abortion?

    On September 9, 2019, United States President Donald Trump retweeted a video from the QAnon-promoting Twitter account "The Dirty Truth". The video criticized former FBI director James Comey. Shortly after Christmas 2019, Trump retweeted over one dozen Qanon followers.
    Oh.

    QAnon believers commonly tag their social media posts with the hashtag #WWG1WGA, signifying the motto "where we go one, we go all." Hours after a published report in August 2019 that the FBI determined QAnon to be a potential source of domestic terrorism—the first time a fringe conspiracy theory had been so rated by the agency—a man warming up the crowd before Trump spoke at a rally used the QAnon motto, "where we go one, we go all", later denying it was a QAnon reference.
    Ohhh...
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  2. #257
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    5,656
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    GOP Senate Nominee 'Literally Physically In Tears' After Campaign Retracts QAnon Support

    The Republican nominee for Oregon’s U.S. Senate seat is a staunch supporter of QAnon and is fighting against her own campaign to promote the dangerous conspiracy network.

    Insurance agent Jo Rae Perkins won the GOP nomination by a landslide earlier this week to run against Sen. Jeff Merkley, a Democrat. Part of her voter appeal might be her belief in QAnon, a right-wing conspiracy that claims President Donald Trump is involved in stopping a pedophile network of Satan-worshipping cannibals who have infiltrated every level of government and the mass media.

    Republicans, including the National Republican Senatorial Committee and The White House, have so far declined to comment on their new ally, ABC News reported. But Perkins own campaign team attempted to distance its candidate from QAnon on Wednesday, saying in a statement that Perkins “would never describe herself as a follower.”

    Perkins didn’t agree with that statement, telling ABC News the following day that she was “literally physically in tears” after she read the statement on her personal Twitter account.

    “My campaign is gonna kill me,” Perkins told the publication. “How do I say this? Some people think that I follow Q like I follow Jesus. Q is the information and I stand with the information resource.”

    That “information resource” is bunk and has led to dangerous real-world consequences. In 2018, a man took his AR-15 and his armored car to Hoover Dam to demand the government come clean about supposed crimes related to QAnon beliefs. A Colorado woman was arrested earlier this year after attempting to kidnap her son with the help of QAnon followers. And the New York Police Department arrested a woman in April who was carrying 18 knives and threatened political figures.
    _____________

    Hey, remember when Sarah Palin was considered "rock bottom" of the GOP gene pool? Good times...

    Speaking of the rock bottom of the GOP gene pool, I wonder how Donald Trump and his Campaign feel about these batshit posterboys for retroactive abortion?



    Oh.



    Ohhh...
    I wouldn't call 4chan or Jesus an 'information source'. Perhaps Jesus posts there as 'anon' but when he did he learn English?

  3. #258
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,506
    Trump's favorite pollster shows his disapproval rating at 57%

    A new tracking poll from a Republican-leaning pollster shows Donald Trump's approval rating has taken a huge hit during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Wednesday's Rasmussen Reports' Daily Presidential Tracking Poll found Trump's approval rating at just 42% and his disapproval rating at 57%. The -15 point margin is his worst in the survey since late 2017.

    The poll was sponsored by pro-Trump activist Jack Posobiec of the far-right One American News Network.

    Trump has frequently praised Rasmussen's polls, calling the company "one of the most accurate in predicting the 2016 Election" and lauding the company for its "honest polling." As recently as February 25, he tweeted that he had reached "52% in the new Rasmussen Poll."

    Rasmussen itself has a distinct pro-GOP bias. After the 2016 elections, polling analyst Nate Silver noted that "the Republican lean in its polls ran pretty much wire to wire."


    "It had a significant Republican house effect early in the election cycle and a significant Republican house effect late in the election, and it would up turning into a significant Republican bias on Election Day," he wrote.

    In September 2018, Ipsos Public Affairs research director Mallory Newall told Hill.TV that Rasmussen's adjustment of data based on party identification tends "to be more along the partisan angle, leaning toward the Republicans."

    Rasmussen has consistently shown better numbers for Trump and his allies than other major polling firms. CNN analyst Harry Enten noted after the 2018 midterms that Rasmussen's polling had been the least accurate of any firm, actually showing Republicans ahead nationally by one point before the blue wave. "The midterm elections prove that at least for now Rasmussen is dead wrong and traditional pollsters are correct," he argued.

    Wednesday's Rasmussen data, by contrast, reflect the same trends as other national pollsters.

    Following a brief approval boost in March, as the coronavirus was first beginning to take hold, Trump's approval tumbled. FiveThirtyEight's current average puts him at 42.6% approval and 53.7% disapproval, while RealClearPolitics puts Trump's average at 43.5% approval and 54.5% disapproval.

    Trump has been criticized broadly for his botched response and downplaying the threat. Harvard Global Health Institute head Ashish Jha told Bloomberg in March that the administration wasted about two months failing to ramp up widespread coronavirus testing as the pandemic spread across the country.

    Though Trump has said that he does not "take responsibility at all" for the situation, the American people have increasingly blamed him, with a Pew Research Center poll as far back as April showing at least 65% of U.S. adults believed he had acted "too slow" in responding to the virus.
    _____________

    Rasmussen is pretty much the only poll I pay attention to since Double Edge brought it my attention.

    Trump's numbers are definitely not looking good....but they could just as easily rebound back up a few points come tomorrow or Monday.

    Certainly his conveniently-timed "insulin for seniors" discount will pull his numbers up. I wonder why he didn't make this great deal years ago...
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  4. #259
    Senior Contributor Bigfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 07
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,675
    Speaking of insulin, why does insulin cost so much in the US? It is fairly cheap all over the industrialized world, yet it can be very expensive in the US. The stuff has been out of patent since it was discovered, and the improved versions under patent are only marginally better. Seems emblematic of the whole US health system.

    Trump could probably win the election by promising decent price controls on drugs that the 'free market' (guffaw) make so expensive for many Americans. But hey, that is 'socialism'. Can't have that. Insane.


    Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

  5. #260
    Patron
    Join Date
    07 Jan 08
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella View Post
    Speaking of insulin, why does insulin cost so much in the US? It is fairly cheap all over the industrialized world, yet it can be very expensive in the US. The stuff has been out of patent since it was discovered, and the improved versions under patent are only marginally better. Seems emblematic of the whole US health system.

    Trump could probably win the election by promising decent price controls on drugs that the 'free market' (guffaw) make so expensive for many Americans. But hey, that is 'socialism'. Can't have that. Insane.
    He did promise to repeal Obamacare and replace it with a better one. So promises he can.

  6. #261
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,506
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    Rasmussen is pretty much the only poll I pay attention to since Double Edge brought it my attention.

    Trump's numbers are definitely not looking good....but they could just as easily rebound back up a few points come tomorrow or Monday.

    Certainly his conveniently-timed "insulin for seniors" discount will pull his numbers up. I wonder why he didn't make this great deal years ago...
    As I figured, he's recovered 4 points as of today.

    He'll remain about where he's at until he's found guilty and murder or pedophilia...and then he'll lose just a point or two.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  7. #262
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    4,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella View Post
    Speaking of insulin, why does insulin cost so much in the US? It is fairly cheap all over the industrialized world, yet it can be very expensive in the US. The stuff has been out of patent since it was discovered, and the improved versions under patent are only marginally better. Seems emblematic of the whole US health system.

    Trump could probably win the election by promising decent price controls on drugs that the 'free market' (guffaw) make so expensive for many Americans. But hey, that is 'socialism'. Can't have that. Insane.
    Our distribution system. From pharmaceutical maker, to distributor, to health insurance formulary list of what they cover and don't. That's one reason and another would be the fact that having that many hands means the potential for playing favorites in the form of inducements and kickbacks. Payola in drugs if you will. FDA didn't help when they altered the rules about certifying generic drugs which forced some manufacturers out leaving maybe one. That generic then went up in price.

    In 2018 I could get Phenylephrine hcl 15ml, a diagnostic drop for $8 and today it is over $100. This you could call an ancient drug since it has been around since the 60s. That is a simple diagnostic but only one generic maker now.

  8. #263
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,506
    Trump Says 'Thank You' To Video Declaring 'The Only Good Democrat Is A Dead Democrat'

    President Donald Trump tweeted a note of thanks in response to a video of a supporter of his exclaiming, “The only good Democrat is a dead Democrat.”

    On Wednesday, the president quote-tweeted a video shared by Cowboys for Trump. In the video, the group’s founder, Couy Griffin, is speaking in front of a New Mexico church, encouraging his audience to violate stay-at-home orders during the coronavirus pandemic.

    “I’ve come to a conclusion where the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat,” says Griffin, going on to add that he doesn’t mean that in a “physical sense,” but in a “political sense.”

    Cowboys for Trump tweeted the video in response to a report in The Daily Beast about the rally shown in the video — which included a clear explanation of Griffin’s actions and words — that the group decided was “fake.”

    Trump then responded to the video by thanking them and saying that he’d see the group in New Mexico.

    Notably, The Daily Beast article features an interview with Griffin who says that he could have “chosen a different verbiage, you know.”

    “I guess I need to be more careful when I choose the words that I speak,” he told the publication. “But you know, it’s just so hypocritical of the left how they’re blowing this up, like I’m some hate-speech murderer.”

    But despite that moment of second-guessing, Griffin doubled down on his claim that “the only good Democrat is a dead one,” telling The Daily Beast that he thinks some top Democrats like Govs. Ralph Northam of Virginia and Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan “could be guilty of treason and the punishment that comes with it.”

    “You get to pick your poison: You either go before a firing squad, or you get the end of the rope,” he said.

    ________________

    But he only meant it in a political sense. Apparently you can die (politically) by firing squad or by hanging. Politically speaking, of course.

    What a good God-fearing Christian man.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  9. #264
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    4,203
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    Trump Says 'Thank You' To Video Declaring 'The Only Good Democrat Is A Dead Democrat'

    President Donald Trump tweeted a note of thanks in response to a video of a supporter of his exclaiming, “The only good Democrat is a dead Democrat.”

    On Wednesday, the president quote-tweeted a video shared by Cowboys for Trump. In the video, the group’s founder, Couy Griffin, is speaking in front of a New Mexico church, encouraging his audience to violate stay-at-home orders during the coronavirus pandemic.

    “I’ve come to a conclusion where the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat,” says Griffin, going on to add that he doesn’t mean that in a “physical sense,” but in a “political sense.”

    Cowboys for Trump tweeted the video in response to a report in The Daily Beast about the rally shown in the video — which included a clear explanation of Griffin’s actions and words — that the group decided was “fake.”

    Trump then responded to the video by thanking them and saying that he’d see the group in New Mexico.

    Notably, The Daily Beast article features an interview with Griffin who says that he could have “chosen a different verbiage, you know.”

    “I guess I need to be more careful when I choose the words that I speak,” he told the publication. “But you know, it’s just so hypocritical of the left how they’re blowing this up, like I’m some hate-speech murderer.”

    But despite that moment of second-guessing, Griffin doubled down on his claim that “the only good Democrat is a dead one,” telling The Daily Beast that he thinks some top Democrats like Govs. Ralph Northam of Virginia and Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan “could be guilty of treason and the punishment that comes with it.”

    “You get to pick your poison: You either go before a firing squad, or you get the end of the rope,” he said.

    ________________

    But he only meant it in a political sense. Apparently you can die (politically) by firing squad or by hanging. Politically speaking, of course.

    What a good God-fearing Christian man.
    I've run into a few people who actually call themselves Christians to your face. I guess they want to be sure I know or people know. Ironically all of them I considered to be the least Christian of those who I have met in my life. Consequently I say run from anyone who calls themselves Christian as they are assuredly not. Those who truly have acted as Christian, which to me is a" Christ" like manner, never had to announce it simply because their actions spoke louder than words. Does anyone think Christ would say the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat? I gave up on religion long ago but I'd hazard to guess the answer is a firm no.

  10. #265
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    4,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella View Post
    Speaking of insulin, why does insulin cost so much in the US? It is fairly cheap all over the industrialized world, yet it can be very expensive in the US. The stuff has been out of patent since it was discovered, and the improved versions under patent are only marginally better. Seems emblematic of the whole US health system.

    Trump could probably win the election by promising decent price controls on drugs that the 'free market' (guffaw) make so expensive for many Americans. But hey, that is 'socialism'. Can't have that. Insane.
    I'll expand on my previous answer to you. First it starts with health insurance companies that sell health plans. Health plans are closely regulated under the Affordable Care Act. The insurance company also has and sells pharmaceutical plans which are not regulated. Consequently the margins on health plans are small but the margins on pharmaceutical plans are not and the insurance company makes up for that on the drug side. Since the insurance company owns the drug plans they can require the patient to use these products and then raise prices.

    The middlemen, next in line, are the three pharmacy benefit managers (PBM) who control 94% of the market mainly because they are owned by the insurance company. Gotta love vertical intergration. The PBMs have a pay to play strong arm approach with the pharmaceutical companies to take the majority of profits. The payola part. A drug like Travatan (glaucome) made $800 million, of which $600 million went to the PBMs, and only $200 million to Novartis. They pay because the PBM owns the formulary that provides drugs to their patients and charge exorbitant rates to companies that want their drugs accessible. To compensate, the pharmaceutical companies increase their prices, passing the increase onto the patient.

    The next middlemen under the PBM are the health insurance brokers. Some brokers are ethical but the vast majority receive kickbacks from the insurance company to sell their pharmaceutical drug plan. Another hidden fee to inflate prices and 90% of the drugs go through PBMs that offer these kickbacks. As opposed to Canada which doesn't have PBMs, health insurance brokers and other layers to the cost of drugs.

    Now Trump signed a bill on transparency but we really need to actually fix the system rather than try to find out ways to pay for it. Guess who would be against this very sane approach? Those three entities I mentioned and then their guys in Congress who are more interested in themselves then in the true benefit of the patient. Making insulin cheaper was nice but the devil is in the details and I can bet my bottom dollar there is a financial way around this for the insurance companies and PBMs to make up for this in another manner. Their hands are in the pie and when you squeeze your hand tighter pie oozes out elsewhere for them to maintain their profits.

  11. #266
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    9,096
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    I've run into a few people who actually call themselves Christians to your face. I guess they want to be sure I know or people know. Ironically all of them I considered to be the least Christian of those who I have met in my life. Consequently I say run from anyone who calls themselves Christian as they are assuredly not. Those who truly have acted as Christian, which to me is a" Christ" like manner, never had to announce it simply because their actions spoke louder than words. Does anyone think Christ would say the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat? I gave up on religion long ago but I'd hazard to guess the answer is a firm no.
    https://www.change.org/p/nm-governor...4-640a4b4f6eba

    Well some aren't happy.

    FYI, I went toe to toe with a member of this board about a decade ago when I tried to get them to commit to whether or not they considered me a Christian since I was a Catholic. Round and round for 2 weeks. They never would give a straight answer.

    Some "Christians" are really cult members.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  12. #267
    Regular m a x's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Sep 12
    Posts
    87

  13. #268
    Senior Contributor DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Location
    Orlando, Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,356
    Are the followers of Jesus Christ aware that there are a whole bunch of people out there claiming to be Christians, to get the benefits of claiming to be Christian, without having to understand, let alone follow, the preaching and principles of the religion?

    I think it's our duty to make sure they are aware of this scam being perpetrated in their collective names.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

  14. #269
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,506
    Washington Examiner Op-Ed: Trump's slanderous attack on Joe Scarborough is incompatible with leadership

    Nearly two decades ago, when Joe Scarborough was a conservative Republican member of Congress from Florida, his office suffered a tragedy. One of his staff, a 28-year-old woman, named Lori Klausutis, collapsed from a heart condition while working alone in his Fort Walton Beach, Florida, office.

    As the medical examiner later reported, she hit her head in the process of fainting, and the blow killed her. When her body was found the following morning by a constituent arriving for an appointment — she never had the chance to lock up — there was no suspicion of foul play.

    Unfortunately, in the minds of certain lunatics — especially disreputable, typically (but not always) anonymous online left-wingers itching to slander any available Republican politician — this became a hot new conspiracy theory. Scarborough, they theorized, must have been having an affair with the staffer in question, and he must have murdered her in order to cover it up. According to this tall tale, the controversy surrounding her death even forced Scarborough to leave Congress — so that just proves it, right?

    This story is not just false, but verifiably so. It is also illogical and bizarre. For one thing, Scarborough wasn't even in Florida when this incident occurred. He took six votes on the House floor the day Klausutis died — the first at 10:25 a.m. and the last at 7:09 p.m. The following morning, he participated in another vote at 10:10 a.m.

    Second, Scarborough had already announced his retirement from Congress long before Klausutis died, so there's nothing to that part of the story, either. And even after his departure from Congress, Scarborough hardly shrunk into the background as if to avoid the spotlight. The first episode of his new evening MSNBC show, Scarborough Country, broadcast three months after he left the House. It gave him a much higher profile than he'd ever had as an obscure congressman from North Florida.

    There was also never any indication that Scarborough had any sort of improper relationship with Klausutis.

    It is deeply unfortunate that certain loathsome individuals chose to amplify, repeat, or otherwise resurrect this tall tale, either as part of a bad-faith, cheap-shot ad hominem argument against Scarborough (as in the case of Markos Moulitsas of Daily Kos) or else out of the same feverish kookery that motivates most conspiracy theorists.

    But it is far, far more unfortunate that the latest person to trumpet and repeat this vile slander is the president supposedly leading this nation through a time of crisis.

    Whatever his issues with Scarborough, President Trump's crazed Twitter rant on this subject was vile and unworthy of his office. Some will undoubtedly shrug it off as Trump being Trump, but one could hardly be blamed for reading it and doubting his fitness to lead.

    To say Trump owes Scarborough an apology is to put it mildly. But in the end, Scarborough won't be the one hurt by this. Against a weak opponent, Trump somehow managed in 2016 to win despite carrying on with sad, deluded conspiracy theories about Sen. Ted Cruz's father being involved in the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Against a less reviled opponent, he may not be so lucky in 2020.


    And observers might even someday look back at this incident as the instant when things began to unravel.
    ________________

    Pretty sad when a conservative op-ed tears into Trump like this. I guess everybody has their breaking point. Well, almost everybody.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  15. #270
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    5,656
    Great job last night at the White House by the U.S. @SecretService
    . They were not only totally professional, but very cool. I was inside, watched every move, and couldn’t have felt more safe. They let the “protesters” scream & rant as much as they wanted, but whenever someone....

    ....got too frisky or out of line, they would quickly come down on them, hard - didn’t know what hit them. The front line was replaced with fresh agents, like magic. Big crowd, professionally organized, but nobody came close to breaching the fence. If they had they would....

    ....have been greeted with the most vicious dogs, and most ominous weapons, I have ever seen. That’s when people would have been really badly hurt, at least. Many Secret Service agents just waiting for action. “We put the young ones on the front line, sir, they love it, and....

    ....good practice.” As you saw last night, they were very cool & very professional. Never let it get out of hand. Thank you! On the bad side, the D.C. Mayor, @MurielBowser
    , who is always looking for money & help, wouldn’t let the D.C. Police get involved. “Not their job.” Nice!


    So the US President threatens the US people with vicious dogs and ominous weapons for demonstrating? The guy is a wannabe Putin and a traitor to his oath of Office. The next US election I fear will not be or end peacefully as the man child's narcissism cannot withstand the realisation that he's a fake and a failure.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 American Political Scene
    By TopHatter in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 395
    Last Post: 09 Dec 19,, 12:25
  2. 2018 American Political Scene
    By astralis in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 2014
    Last Post: 31 Dec 18,, 00:27
  3. 2017 American Political Scene
    By YellowFever in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 2571
    Last Post: 29 Dec 17,, 21:34

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •