Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718

Thread: 2020 US/Iranian Crisis

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Pentagon now says 50 service members suffered brain injuries from Iran attack

The Pentagon now says 50 American military service members suffered traumatic brain injuries following Iran’s Jan. 8 missile attack on a base in western Iraq that was housing the U.S. military personnel.

Initially the Pentagon said there were no injuries in the missile attack, but as more symptoms were diagnosed, the number was updated to 11, then 34 and now 50.

Officials have acknowledged that it can take time for the concussion-like symptoms to present themselves.

"Of these 50, 31 total service members were treated in Iraq and returned to duty, including 15 of the additional service members who have been diagnosed since the previous report," said Lt. Col. Thomas Campbell, a Pentagon spokesperson. "Eighteen service members have been transported to Germany for further evaluation and treatment."

"This is an increase of one service member from the previous report, who had been transported to Germany for other health reasons and has since been diagnosed with a TBI," Campbell added.

There was no update on the eight other service members who had been transported to the United States last week for evaluation and treatment.

The increasing numbers of service members who suffered from traumatic brain injuries in the attack earlier this month has become a political controversy because of President Donald Trump's recent comments that the injuries were "headaches" and "not serious."

This past weekend, the head of the Veterans of Foreign Wars requested that the president apologize for "his misguided remarks."

"We ask that he and the White House join with us in our efforts to educate Americans of the dangers TBI has on these heroes as they protect our great nation in these trying times, said William "Doc" Schmits, the VFW's national commander. "Our warriors require our full support more than ever in this challenging environment."

Traumatic brain injuries are considered to be the signature wound and the invisible epidemic from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan because service members who suffered explosive blasts of roadside bombs later suffered concussion-like effects.

The Pentagon and the Department of Veterans Affairs estimated that 408,000 military service members worldwide have suffered from some form of traumatic brain injuries over the last 20 years.
    _________

Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI), or as Cadet Bonespurs likes to call them "headaches"
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

"The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by surfgun View Post
    I never want to hear a peep out of Iran about the Vincennes incident ever again.
    Just remembered this in a pm I once got when talking back and forth privately with desertswo. I was re-reading some last night. This concerns the Vincennes and you may want to adjust your opinion some after reading. Desertswo and I were discussing Admirals. Who were deserving and who weren't.

Are there people wearing stars who ought not to be? Yeah, there were a couple who really shouldn't have gotten that far. You want names, I can give them. One was my CO in Constellation. He got shitcanned as Commander Mid-East Force (now US Fifth Fleet) when Vincennes shot down the Iranian Airbus. His staff had no idea where Vincennes was, or what they were doing there (be you didn't know they were out of their assigned box, did you? ). The CO of Vincennes, Will Rogers, was a rogue operator out of the Marcus Arnheider school of glory seeking, and RADM Dennis M. Brooks, was clueless about what he was up to. So, away he went, and Rogers was taken off the cousins list, where everyone knew him to be.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI), or as Cadet Bonespurs likes to call them "headaches"
    Extremely hard call. These men were by no means combat-ineffective. That serious medical conditions still needed to be addressed but men had fought through worst. WWI trench lines showed how shell concussioned men could still be lethal even in hand to hand combat against men who were not shelled.

I am not disputing the medical needs but I would have expected those men to put up a fierce fight if the need was there.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Extremely hard call. These men were by no means combat-ineffective. That serious medical conditions still needed to be addressed but men had fought through worst. WWI trench lines showed how shell concussioned men could still be lethal even in hand to hand combat against men who were not shelled.

I am not disputing the medical needs but I would have expected those men to put up a fierce fight if the need was there.
    Sir, no doubt you're right. I'm sure those personnel would've fought like absolute wildcats in the finest traditions of their service.

It's the draft-dodging pile of shit that happens to be their Commander in Chief dismissing their medical condition as mere "headaches", so that his assassination of Soleimani can be shown to be consequence-free that pisses me off.

It's just yet another indication of someone who is unfit to command.
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

"The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

Senior Contributor
    Sometimes, we are our own worst enemies. Old timers still take it as a point of pride that we worked through medical conditions with nothing more than ibuprofen ... and coffee.

Thread Information