Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 263

Thread: 2020 US/Iranian Crisis

  1. #211
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    4,198
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Oh for Pete sakes!
    Now that is pretty mellow...

  2. #212
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,063
    I wonder what the Iranians were trying to fire at, or thought they were firing at, over Teheran when they hit the airliner.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

  3. #213
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    11,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    I wonder what the Iranians were trying to fire at, or thought they were firing at, over Teheran when they hit the airliner.
    If i were to take a wild guess they have no friend or foe identification system

  4. #214
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    11,247
    Iran did not take Trump seriously. They listened to too much American media saying president is crazy. They thought they could get away with it.

    Listening to Americans that hate their leader is a bad idea.

    Trump had re-established deterrence across the spectrum, nuclear, conventional & sub-conventional

    Will not bargain sub-conventional for nuclear

    What does Iran do now ?

    Wait for the next election and hope he loses or work actively to make him lose

    Hope the next US president will be more flexible

    Hope is not a strategy, if Trump wins again they are in the soup for another four years

    Do they bargain.

    Iran has never won a war but also never lost a negotiation
    Last edited by Double Edge; 10 Jan 20, at 20:56.

  5. #215
    Regular m a x's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Sep 12
    Posts
    87
    Does anybody think Donald Trump is now to be impeached with the help of a few republicans who bet again on war scenario? As most of the Globe is already thankful to Iran for bringing back security in the situation, apparently, there are also military personnel who believe it is up for them to decide World affairs

  6. #216
    Senior Contributor surfgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 09
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,073
    I never want to hear a peep out of Iran about the Vincennes incident ever again.

  7. #217
    Senior Contributor surfgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 09
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,073
    The Iranians have scrubbed the cash site.
    https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...ators-arrived/

  8. #218
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,506
    Iran says it 'unintentionally' shot down Ukrainian jetliner

    TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran announced Saturday that its military “unintentionally” shot down the Ukrainian jetliner that crashed earlier this week, killing all 176 aboard, after the government had repeatedly denied Western accusations that it was responsible.

    The plane was shot down early Wednesday, hours after Iran launched a ballistic missile attack on two military bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq in retaliation for the killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani in an American airstrike in Baghdad. No one was wounded in the attack on the bases.

    A military statement carried by state media said the plane was mistaken for a “hostile target” after it turned toward a “sensitive military center” of the Revolutionary Guard. The military was at its “highest level of readiness," it said, amid the heightened tensions with the United States.

    “In such a condition, because of human error and in a unintentional way, the flight was hit,” the statement said. It apologized for the disaster and said it would upgrade its systems to prevent such “mistakes” in the future.

    It also said those responsible for the strike on the plane would be prosecuted.

    The jetliner, a Boeing 737 operated by Ukrainian International Airlines, went down on the outskirts of Tehran shortly after taking off from Imam Khomeini International Airport.

    Iran had denied for several days that a missile caused the crash. But then the U.S. and Canada, citing intelligence, said they believed Iran shot down the aircraft.

    The plane, en route to the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv, was carrying 167 passengers and nine crew members from several countries, including 82 Iranians, at least 57 Canadians and 11 Ukrainians, according to officials. The Canadian government had earlier lower the nation's death toll from 63.
    ___________
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  9. #219
    Dirty Kiwi Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    10 Nov 04
    Location
    Te Whanganui a-Tara, Te Ika a Maui, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Parihaka View Post
    Madness. At the least this will close the straights.
    Well, couldn't have been more wrong on this one. Iran's terrorism plans are set back by years (I doubt either of them kept a power point of intended actions) for no cost, apart from Iran shooting down the Ukrainian plane. Well done Donald.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

    Leibniz

  10. #220
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    5,656
    Well congrats (of a sort) to the Iranians for owning up to their 'mistake' if mistake it was. From the start they allowed a 50 strong team of Ukrainian investigators in to help with the inquiry, as per international rules since PS752 was a Ukrainian International Airways plane (and crew) and flight. The Iranians claimed they could unload the 'black box' info and I heard that the Ukrainians were dubious of this and wanted the 'black box' sent to France to have the information downloaded. This of course would likely have proven that the aircraft was hit was by a missile (or two as some have suggested). This inability to download the 'black box' and the Ukrainian desire to send it to France may have prompted the admission. Or they may just have 'come clean' following an internal inquiry. Canada insisting on being part of the investigation obviously was additional pressure but remember that 82 of the deceased, more than any other single nationality, were Iranians themselves.

    Wouldn't it be nice if Muscovy did the same with MH17.

  11. #221
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    4,198
    I haven't quite kept up on the continuing news about the hit on the Iranian general but I did hear another Trump version today. So how many versions are out there now since I know he doesn't keep count.

  12. #222
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    4,198
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    Iran says it 'unintentionally' shot down Ukrainian jetliner

    TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran announced Saturday that its military “unintentionally” shot down the Ukrainian jetliner that crashed earlier this week, killing all 176 aboard, after the government had repeatedly denied Western accusations that it was responsible.

    The plane was shot down early Wednesday, hours after Iran launched a ballistic missile attack on two military bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq in retaliation for the killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani in an American airstrike in Baghdad. No one was wounded in the attack on the bases.

    A military statement carried by state media said the plane was mistaken for a “hostile target” after it turned toward a “sensitive military center” of the Revolutionary Guard. The military was at its “highest level of readiness," it said, amid the heightened tensions with the United States.

    “In such a condition, because of human error and in a unintentional way, the flight was hit,” the statement said. It apologized for the disaster and said it would upgrade its systems to prevent such “mistakes” in the future.

    It also said those responsible for the strike on the plane would be prosecuted.

    The jetliner, a Boeing 737 operated by Ukrainian International Airlines, went down on the outskirts of Tehran shortly after taking off from Imam Khomeini International Airport.

    Iran had denied for several days that a missile caused the crash. But then the U.S. and Canada, citing intelligence, said they believed Iran shot down the aircraft.

    The plane, en route to the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv, was carrying 167 passengers and nine crew members from several countries, including 82 Iranians, at least 57 Canadians and 11 Ukrainians, according to officials. The Canadian government had earlier lower the nation's death toll from 63.
    ___________
    Bold section is nothing but bullshit. Plane takes off from Tehran for Europe along a set flight path that many planes to Europe no doubt follow. Plane is heading away and increasing in altitude. Made a turn during ascent my ass.

    This was plain Iranian stupidity. Maybe the Revolutionary Guard was itching to do something. Who knows but stupidity fits. What also fits is that if the Iranians can't be trusted with a basic military weapon such as a surface to air missile then how could they possibly be trusted with anything more powerful.

  13. #223
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    5,656
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    I haven't quite kept up on the continuing news about the hit on the Iranian general but I did hear another Trump version today. So how many versions are out there now since I know he doesn't keep count.
    “There is no doubt there were a series of imminent attacks being plotted. We don’t know when and where. But it was real." Pompeo.

    Well if you do not know 'when' how can you claim it was "imminent"?

  14. #224
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    4,198
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    “There is no doubt there were a series of imminent attacks being plotted. We don’t know when and where. But it was real." Pompeo.

    Well if you do not know 'when' how can you claim it was "imminent"?
    Are you thinking? Thinking? There's no thinking in this administration...

  15. #225
    Senior Contributor Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Iran has never won a war but also never lost a negotiation
    I've read it somewhere first. Where? I don't remember.

    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Bold section is nothing but bullshit. Plane takes off from Tehran for Europe along a set flight path that many planes to Europe no doubt follow. Plane is heading away and increasing in altitude. Made a turn during ascent my ass.

    This was plain Iranian stupidity. Maybe the Revolutionary Guard was itching to do something. Who knows but stupidity fits. What also fits is that if the Iranians can't be trusted with a basic military weapon such as a surface to air missile then how could they possibly be trusted with anything more powerful.
    Bingo!

    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    “There is no doubt there were a series of imminent attacks being plotted. We don’t know when and where. But it was real." Pompeo.

    Well if you do not know 'when' how can you claim it was "imminent"?
    You're the ex-diplomat. You've connections. Find out how, and enlighten us.

    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Are you thinking? Thinking? There's no thinking in this administration...
    Actually there is. Else POTUS would have turned the world upside down. There is someone who's reminding Trump of the very basis of relationships. Transactions.
    Last edited by Oracle; 11 Jan 20, at 17:40.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Chelsea 2020!
    By troung in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21 Jan 18,, 05:01
  2. Will India Be Superpower Until 2020?
    By tck in forum International Politics
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06 Apr 08,, 02:24
  3. The Iranian Identity Crisis: Islam v. Iranian Identity
    By joey2 in forum The Middle East and North Africa
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12 Apr 07,, 20:06
  4. By 2020 no clear superpower!!!!
    By Commando in forum Europe and Russia
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 01 Mar 05,, 06:37

Tags for this Thread

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •