Colt Python returns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt Python returns...

The Colt Python .357 Magnum is to return to market place after a 21 year absence. https://www.colt.com/series/PYTHON_SERIES

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...w-colt-python/

Comment

Shooting the new Python.
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HrLYZruNw_g

Comment

Sorry but it smacks a little of desperation on Colts part. Granted it was (and is) a great revolver but how successful is new production run of Pythons likely to be? Sure there are enthusiasts out there who will be tempted to by one but in the end in a market flooded with pistols (high performance calibers included) how successful is this release likely to be?

The reality is the US gun market has already approached saturation level. How many American firearm manufacturers are there out there at the moment returning solid profits to stock and bond holders vs teetering on the verge of Chapter 11? And outside of the US who is buying?
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Despite Colt being desperate as it is with military contracts dwindling.

The first batch of new Pythons sold quickly with examples selling on auction sites well above the suggested MSRP.
          By looking at comments on the Colt FB page a fair amount of Europeans are showing interest. On some firearms boards Canadians are anxious to get their hands on the new Pythons.
          Some collectors intend to buy one of each barrel length and anticipate a Royal Blue version to appear in the future to accompany these Stainless Steel examples.
          I for one will wait a year for Colt to work out any bugs and to satisfy backed up demand for this sought after revolver. Hopefully paying a bit under MSRP.
          Minty last generation Pythons have been selling for thousands of dollars, especially rare 3” barreled versions creeping into the five digit range at auction.
          Last edited by surfgun; 15 Jan 20,, 15:08.

Comment

especially rare 3” barreled versions creeping into the five digit range at auction.
            i don't even want to know how bad the recoil for that has to be...what a monster.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Not bad at all. I had been blasting with a 2 1/2” S&W Combat Magnum (M19) since I was a teenager. It is only a .357 Magnum! When I step it up I blast with light 38 Oz. .44 Magnum with a 4” barrel.

There are rumors about the Shot Show this year that Colt may revive their Anaconda line of .44 Magnums.
              Last edited by surfgun; 26 Jan 20,, 21:59.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                i don't even want to know how bad the recoil for that has to be...what a monster.
                With full underlug, raised rib, and thickened frame with a large plow handle grip, it is heavier than many other .357 Remington Magnum revolvers of similar barrel length. 2020 Colt Python weighs 42 ounce with 4.25 inch barrel and 46 ounce with 6.0 inch barrel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Colt-Python-2-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1478603

Name:	103274.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1478604

S&W has sold some with scandium aluminum alloy frame and small diameter 5-shot titanium cylinder. The one depicted below weighs 11.8 ounce (334.5 gram):
                https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-340-pd

Name:	163062_01_lg.jpg
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1478602
                Last edited by JRT; 27 Jan 20,, 19:51.

Comment

Yes a no thank you to shoot those J-frame .357’s!
                  A special no thank you to shoot the light weight scandium framed S&W 329 .44 Magnum! One would have to pay me to know the the displeasure to shoot such a beast!

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                    A special no thank you to shoot the light weight scandium framed S&W 329 .44 Magnum! One would have to pay me to know the the displeasure to shoot such a beast!
                    That might be a little uncomfortable to practice with.

For likely intended purpose, it might be more appropriate to load it with .44 Special, eg. 200 grain Speer Gold Dot. Though that then does beg the question of why not carry something better optimized for that purpose.

Name:	620298.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1478605
                    Last edited by JRT; 27 Jan 20,, 20:32.

Comment

Working...
                    X