Travelling to Varanasi !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling to Varanasi !!!

Travelling to Varanasi - checking out dates between 1st/2nd week of January. Will be staying for a week or so.

Inputs, thoughts, food, stay, places to visit, activities etc?
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Found something interesting.

Mark Twain said - Benaras is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend and looks twice as old as all of them put together.

How old is Banaras?
    Last edited by Oracle; 29 Dec 19,, 17:19.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Plan cancelled. Lot of protests in different parts of India. Mom's eye operation. Doc has given dates. Never count your chickens until they hatch.

Comment

Going to Kolkata -> Varanasi (Prayagraj) on a vacation. Will be posting pictures once I'm back.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          Going to Kolkata -> Varanasi (Prayagraj) on a vacation. Will be posting pictures once I'm back.
          Nice but Prayagraj is the new name for Allahabad

Kashi, Banaras, Varanasi are three names for the same place

Why three names for the same place ? maybe you can tell us

Comment

Found something interesting.

Mark Twain said - Benaras is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend and looks twice as old as all of them put together.

How old is Banaras?
            No step wells over there

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              Nice but Prayagraj is the new name for Allahabad

Kashi, Banaras, Varanasi are three names for the same place

Why three names for the same place ? maybe you can tell us
              Okay, I did some digging.

Varanasi was founded by Lord Shiva. He and Brahma had a fight, he won, and cut off one of Brahma's heads. That head disappeared after it dropped from Lord Shiva's hand in Varanasi. That was in brief.

Artefacts dating back to 1800-1200 BCE has been found, which means Varanasi was inhabited at that time. Which is why, now I understand why all those Americans and Europeans, even Japanese, Korean or Chinese visit this place when they visit India. Everybody wants to connect with spirituality.

In Rigveda, ancient times, it was known as Kasi (Kas = to shine). Which is why Varanasi is also known as 'City of Lights'.

According to the ‘Vamana Purana’, the Varuna and the Assi rivers originated from the body of the primordial being at the beginning of time. The present name Varanasi has its origin in these two tributaries of the Ganges, Varuna and Asi, which flank its northern and southern borders. The tract of land lying between them was named ‘Varanasi,' the holiest of all pilgrimages. Banaras or Benaras, as it is popularly known, is only a corruption of the name Varanasi. This I copied.

After a little more internet excavation, Benares was actually a princely state of British India, with Kashi as its capital.

Prayagraj - Akbarnama mentions that Akbar laid the foundation of an imperial city at Prayag, which he called Ilahabas. This later became Allahabad in an anglicized version in Roman script.

Comment

No step wells over there

Step wells are distinctively a feature of Rajasthani architecture, IIRC.

Comment

Step wells are distinctively a feature of Rajasthani architecture, IIRC.
                  Even filmed Batman there, he finds his soul in a rural village in Rajasthan : D

You're in luck, there is one in Varanasi

Click image for larger version

Name:	lolark kund varanasi r.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1478630

Lolark Kund
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Feb 20,, 16:27.

Comment

Even filmed Batman there, he finds his soul in a rural village in Rajasthan : D

You're in luck, there is one in Varanasi

[ATTACH]48279[/ATTACH]

Lolark Kund
                    Hmmm......The Dark Knight Rises. Man, I loved the trilogy of this Batman franchise. Christopher Nolan is one of the most intelligent persons alive.

On a side note, don't know if I will have the time to visit everything in Varanasi. I'll be there for 3 days, 2 nights only.

The journey starts tomorrow early morning.

Lolark Kund, I'll remember the name.
                    Last edited by Oracle; 15 Feb 20,, 16:52.

Comment

Hmmm......The Dark Knight Rises. Man, I loved the trilogy of this Batman franchise. Christopher Nolan is one of the most intelligent persons alive.
                      Are these stones real or CGI. Seem very well chiseled. Never seen that in a well

Click image for larger version

Name:	the leap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1478631

First heard of him in the movie Shaft.

Comment

^ Won't know until we visit that place. Dude, I was talking about Christopher Nolan, not Christian Bale.

Will reach Allahabad in 2 hours. It rained yesterday night.

Comment

Back home after a 12 day trip. Feeling tired. Will post some trip pics later in the evening.

Comment

Working...
                          X