Trump's 4th Of July Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    Right, so 1991 was the last time and only because it was a victory celebration. And in that segment they mentioned the previous time was end of WW2 or the last time it was this big was at the end of WW2. Again a victory parade.

So this kinds of display never happens otherwise. Why is that ?
    Last edited by Double Edge; 04 Jul 19,, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      That's something that Double Edge just doesn't seem to comprehend.
      He grew up in Queens, NYC, I lived there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        Because he turned down our invite for Republic day. Maybe because he didn't want to see Russian stuff on display.
        Maybe? This is your logic here? Obama was a guest on our Republic Day. So Obama liked Soviet/Russian weapons.

If it was American maybe that would be different.

But think about it, when have you ever had tanks and other stuff roll down streets for national day events ? never happened has it. Why.
        Dude, Trump likes to show off, when everybody else is paying. He's a businessman. Americans are paying for this pomp and glory.

He grew up in Queens, NYC, I lived there too.
        :D :D :D :D :D
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Right, so 1991 was the last time and only because it was a victory celebration. And in that segment they mentioned the previous time was end of WW2 or the last time it was this big was at the end of WW2. Again a victory parade.

So this kinds of display never happens otherwise. Why is that ?
          The only reason for the post was to prove the fallacy that a modern tank could not realistically transverse the streets of D.C. without turning them into rubble.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
            Maybe? This is your logic here? Obama was a guest on our Republic Day. So Obama liked Soviet/Russian weapons.
            Yeah. Obama didn't mind them.

Dude, Trump likes to show off, when everybody else is paying. He's a businessman. Americans are paying for this pomp and glory.
            Bingo Bango so he wants to see American weapons on display

:D :D :D :D :D
            He's a New Yorker ; )

Comment

Maybe we should split off the discussion of Trump's DC 4th of July parade onto its own thread.

Meanwhile I'll be watching The Death of Stalin on HBO until I figure out what I'm doing today. It just happens to be on right now and I never get tired of watching it again and again.
              Last edited by Ironduke; 04 Jul 19,, 15:40.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Pretty sure that's only because they'd turn the boulevard into rubble if they did.
                No, not at all. Just a simple grasp of geography.

But aides allegedly warned Mr Trump that driving tanks near the Lincoln memorial would “tear up the streets” on its grounds, which are not designed to hold the weight of a vehicle that exceeds 60 tons. Each M1A1 Abrams tank weighs 63 tons.

"There were many long conversations with the boss about this," one former senior administration official told the Washington Post.

National Park Service officials also reportedly remain concerned about the damage the tanks could cause to the grounds of the memorial.

It comes after the government spent $30.7m to refurbish the memorial under the Obama administration in 2017.

On the day before the parade, Army Colonel Sunset Belinsky told CBS News that residents of the capital city "will see the vehicles move through their neighbourhoods, but should not panic".

This year’s event will be open to the public free of charge, apart from a ticketed area for VIPs in front of the Lincoln Memorial.

However, Donald Trump’s aides fear an embarrassingly small crowd may turn out to the event, according to a report. link
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

What is the reason ?
                  You didn't see this?

"Put troops out there so we can thank them — leave tanks for Red Square”

~ Gen. Anthony C. Zinni, USMC (Ret.)

Because he turned down our invite for Republic day. Maybe because he didn't want to see Russian stuff on display

If it was American maybe that would be different.
                  That is some incredibly limp speculation. I can't believe you even wrote that lol.

But think about it, when have you ever had tanks and other stuff roll down streets for national day events ? never happened has it. Why.
                  Yes, it has happened. And it doesn't happen very much anymore, for much the same reason the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag doesn't include an outstretched arm anymore.
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The only reason for the post was to prove the fallacy that a modern tank could not realistically transverse the streets of D.C. without turning them into rubble.
                    See my post above. It's not a fallacy and I love how you think every street and avenue in D.C. is able to handle the same load. Or that today's M1 is identical in weight to those from 1991.

Comment

The Lincoln Memorial borders the Potomac River. Since you believe to have the specs on all adjoining roadways from Union Station to the memorial grounds, a barge could be used to deliver the armor to its static staging area, to put your mind to rest?
                      The Army has the available landing craft only a very short distance away at Fort Belvoir.
                      Last edited by surfgun; 04 Jul 19,, 19:39.

Comment

How much should the US tax payer stump up for Trumpkin's ego?

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                          How much should the US tax payer stump up for Trumpkin's ego?
                          The Army has to fire up the diesels in their landing crafts from time to time anyway to keep the fuel fresh. Fort Belvoir is just South of Mount Vernon, a very short ride to Lincoln Memorial.

Comment

You ever seen a road after a column of tanks goes down it? I imagine your Abrams are heavier than ours here. Why should they display just because Trumpkin liked a French parade and how much will the whole affair cost? I mean to be fair he can hardly claim to be a 'fiscal conservative' already with your spiraling deficit thanks to his 'tax cuts' but as there is a 'national emergency' anyway to divert funds would they not be better to parade there rather just for his ego?

I saw also an interesting UN vote that was not passed at the Security Council yesterday condemning an event (and possibly a war crime) in Libya where 'General' (he was a Colonel I understand but promoted himself) Haftar is alleged to have bombed a transit center of sub Saharan migrants hoping to get to Europe. Quite a few sadly perished it is said. The UK then put forward a proposal condemning this attack in the UNSC. The US delegation for some reason could not get any response from the US Government as to how it should vote on this issue - just no answer it seems. Trumpkin of course was probably planning his "I am great" speech No 1001 for his military parade. The State Department is hollowed out and several positions have never been appointed since Trumpkin became President. Ivanka probably looking in the mirror imagining her turn as President and Kushner adding up how much more can make. Pompeo is merely an adjunct temporary staff in their eyes and the family being busy with vanity and profit calculations just could not spare time to answer. Of course since no permanent US Ambassador has been appointed since Nikki Haley resigned the acting Ambassador (Cohen) did not feel confident enough to vote without guidance - natural enough in his position. But guidance came there none poor fellow.

I mean this is not a hard question and perhaps Mr Cohen should have just voted but rightly he sought guidance and just did not get an answer! This is not mis Government but absence of Government. Does it mean "we don't care"/"can't be bothered"? I think you were a fool if you ever thought Trumpkin and his clan ever cared a damn about anything else but themselves.

Comment

oops.
                              Last edited by snapper; 04 Jul 19,, 22:34.

Comment

TDS sufferers, the movement of Five pieces of military equipment to be placed into a static position costs less than a recruiting commercial during the Super Bowl. Catch a breath already.

Comment

Working...
                                X