Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415

Thread: Trump's 4th Of July Parade

Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    There is no such thing as a national consciousness or psyche.
    I disagree.

It is the conditioning of individuals with an upbringing that reflects that culture. In the end, it is the people, individual human beings, who either feel shame or pride. The soldiers, the people lining up to watch them, and the politicians accepting the military salutes on Bastille Day feels no shame and all pride. Your basis is still out of whack.
    Listen. I'm not looking to change anybody's mind. I couldn't care less if people think the way I do on a given matter, or think otherwise.

And nothing you've said, or can say, is going to change my mind on the subject.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    They understand the difference between the US Army and the local police and the fact that the Army is apolitical and has never been used against its own people, unless you count the Civil War. There has never been a Tiananmen like incident or anything close to it in the US.
    Bonus Army, 1932.

The military also rounded up 100,000+ American citizens of Japanese descent during WWII.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    Bonus Army, 1932.
    Kent State by the Ohio National Guard, 1970, also comes to mind.

As for being used against its own people otherwise - Blair Mountain in 1921.
    Last edited by kato; 28 Jul 19, at 16:10.

Senior Contributor
    I disagree.
    What is a "national consciousness or psyche?" It is nothing more than mob memory. Books don't have emotions. Buildings don't have emotions. Land doesn't have emotions. And the mob on Bastille Day does not remember the occupations of Paris. If anything, they remember the exact same thing as the Americans do on 4 July.

Listen. I'm not looking to change anybody's mind. I couldn't care less if people think the way I do on a given matter, or think otherwise.

And nothing you've said, or can say, is going to change my mind on the subject.
    You asked me.

Quote Originally Posted by kato View Post
    Kent State by the Ohio National Guard, 1970, also comes to mind.
    The National Guard are federally trained soldiers, under the dual jurisdiction of both the federal and state governments, but in this instance they were ultimately under the control of the governor of Ohio, there because of a request the mayor of the town made to the governor.

In my view, they weren't functioning in any way as a force of the US Army, but rather were performing state militia functions. When operating under the auspices of the state government in response to emergencies (whether real or perceived), disasters, and civil disturbances, they're not members of or a part of the US military. Their duties and functions are along the lines what most countries would term the gendarmerie.

The Bonus Army incident in 1932, there were 1500 army troops under the command of Douglas MacArthur, carrying out President Hoover's orders. This was a fully outfitted force, complete with tanks, cavalry, and machine guns. Perhaps in a bit of foreshadowing, MacArthur disobeyed presidential orders when told to stop, and undertook certain actions on his own initiative.

As for being used against its own people otherwise - Blair Mountain in 1921.
    As opposed to Kent State, the Battle of Blair Mountain is in the same exact league as the Bonus Army incident.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 28 Jul 19, at 17:59.

Thread Information