Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacOS Mojave Upgrade!

Guys,
    I have High Sierra in my laptop. Apple has released Mojave last year (November 2018 IIRC). I always wait for some time, for initial bugs to get fixed, then upgrade. Seems this is the right time.

#1. My mobile data limit is 2GB per day. So, I'm thinking of buying data pack of 6GB worth Rs. 101. MacOS Mojave is like 6.09 GB in size. Total data, assume = 7 GB. Is this doable?

#2. I have to start this download at 12 AM to get a decent speed, around 2 AM I get around 2-3 mbps. I can continue this download till 7 AM. Doable?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mojave Size.png
Views:	1
Size:	689.9 KB
ID:	1485802

Else I'll have to travel 400 Kms to an authorised Apple retailer to get the OS installed.

Thank you!
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Long time, I had Mojave installed. Now I have MacOS Catalina installed. Just updating.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Well hell, I hope your bandwidth has improved... :-)
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
        Well hell, I hope your bandwidth has improved... :-)
        Hahaha, so you've been reading. Welcome back. Yeah, it is 1-3 mbps from late night till early morning, and 0.25 to 0.5 mbps in the daytime. Enough for my use. I buy extra data and do my stuff late nights. Catalina has some performance issues related to Chrome browser, but very negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          #1. My mobile data limit is 2GB per day. So, I'm thinking of buying data pack of 6GB worth Rs. 101. MacOS Mojave is like 6.09 GB in size. Total data, assume = 7 GB. Is this doable?

#2. I have to start this download at 12 AM to get a decent speed, around 2 AM I get around 2-3 mbps. I can continue this download till 7 AM. Doable?
          Can you do this via torrents ?

This way if it does not complete you can resume where you left off the day after.

Torrents builds on a tool called rsync

Aussie developer wrote rsync in the 90s. The idea was revolutionary. You do not have to get the whole thing again. You resume where you left off when you have internet. If ever the download gets corrupted it only replaces the corrupt bits. This is particularly useful when bandwidth is tight or slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            Can you do this via torrents ?

This way if it does not complete you can resume where you left off the day after.

Torrents builds on a tool called rsync

Aussie developer wrote rsync in the 90s. The idea was revolutionary. You do not have to get the whole thing again. You resume where you left off when you have internet. If ever the download gets corrupted it only replaces the corrupt bits. This is particularly useful when bandwidth is tight or slow.
            It's been 6+ months since I created this thread. Guess, you didn't see it.

But anyway, I'll tell you how I did it.

Mojave - 6+ GB size. I bought Jio's data pack of 6 GB. Then I have daily 2 GB on my Jio sim. So total = 8 GB. This is how I did it. And no, installing from Mac App store, one can't use that tool, or any other tool. It's just not allowed. I have a similar kind of tool for MacOS called 'folx', which I use sometimes to download (other s/w) as you mentioned, but MacOS can't be downloaded with this tool either.

I did the same while downloading and installing MacOS Catalina.

XCode is ~ 8 GBs. Downloaded it, installed it, played with it for sometime, then uninstalled it. IDE's should not be that big in size even before installing. Doesn't speak much good about it.

Before installing MacOS Catalina, heard so many rumours that iTunes would be given a radical makeover and etc, and etc. Nothing changed, I still have my music files on it. Just the name changed from 'iTunes' to 'Music', and maybe a few features and functions which I didn't even bother to check. But, hey, I listen music on it, and not a bug bounty hunter.

What bothers me is XCode. Size should be small, and the IDE should be able to handle most of all programming languages with ease. It's Apple after all. Expectations should always go through the roof, and Apply pretty much nails it all the time. Nobody told them about XCode, I guess. It's a good tool, it's just bulky, much like how Windows is.

Comment

Okay, an update came yesterday. Size about 3 GB. Solved the Chrome browser problem, no issues now.

Comment

Working...
              X