Back after a long, long time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Somehow, I cannot imagine the good Captain as becoming a fat dirty old man.
    Good and dirty mix well. Women dig that. :-)

One question, at what age is a man normally considered to be old, or started to grow old?
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      One question, at what age is a man normally considered to be old, or started to grow old?
      There is no old or young, just alive or not ; )

Comment

^ It should be alive and kicking. For example, the Colonel. He goes fishing, he gets fish. Later in the evening he heads for the bar. Orders scotch, schools everybody, and there too he gets his choice of fish. For some like the Colonel, it rains fish. No if and buts. It is, as if, I'm stuck in a time-wrap in a remote desert. Nothing for miles. Eyes sore. Finally, when I come across that patch of much needed greenery, it turns out to be cactus. :D
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Good and dirty mix well. Women dig that. :-)

There are three stages in a typical man's life:
          1. stud
          2. dud
          3. thud

Some men alternate back and forth between these three stages with varying degrees of success.

Some men even manage to go "thud" and come back from it (via CPR, defibrillation, autoresuscitation, etc.)

I've personally gone "thud" (heart failure) and now I'm back to being a "dud". I'll be grateful for at least 10-15 more years of "dud".

The Colonel is definitely a "stud".
          Last edited by Ironduke; 24 May 19,, 17:37.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            There are three stages in a typical man's life:
            1. stud
            2. dud
            3. thud

Some men alternate back and forth between these three stages with varying degrees of success.

Some men even manage to go "thud" and come back from it (via CPR, defibrillation, autoresuscitation, etc.)

I've personally gone "thud" (heart failure) and now I'm back to being a "dud". I'll be grateful for at least 10-15 more years of "dud".

The Colonel is definitely a "stud".
            You've made me sad, now.

I don't have any complications, if anything, I am as horny as ever.

What stage is dud? Explain please. What happens when a person is dud?

And the secret to the Colonel being a 'stud' is 'Celine Dion'. How can you forget that?

Comment

What stage is dud? Explain please. What happens when a person is dud?
              Well, there's several things that come to mind that I would consider society to judge as examples of "dud" qualities. This is solely my opinion alone.

For a married guy: middle-aged, working or middle class income, dislikes his job but is forced to work like a hamster in a wheel to pay the mortgage and the bills, gets put through the ringer on a daily basis by family, co-workers, and bosses. People thinks he's lazy, boring, unfashionable. Forgoes his own health needs and develops stress-related illnesses in his 40s and 50s. He tries to do as much as he can to maintain the home, the car, etc., but often sinks into the couch after work because he's mentally exhausted, and escapes reality by watching TV or going on the computer. Any time he spends doing this, he gets nagged. Maybe he hides out in the basement or in the garage to avoid family stress. In his employment, he's disposable. He can easily be swapped out with someone willing to put up with more crap or someone younger willing to work for less money.

For a lot of guys, it's only when they go "thud" that those he worked to support realize all he did and the sacrifices he made to provide.

Think of Rodney Dangerfield and "I can't get no respect".

For a single guy, I guess a "dud" would be a guy who basically settles into the same lifestyle as the aforementioned married man, without the wife, kids, and maybe not a mortgage. I think many people would go one step further and qualify the guy as a irresponsible loser who isn't pulling his weight, and by not doing all the things a married guy does, is seen as somehow not performing the duties required of him by society.

This is just my perspective - it's how I see things from my observations of men in my family, of male friends, my status as a single 30-something, and the way I've been judged and treated.

And come to think of it, I'm derailing a perfectly good thread to welcome lemontree back with my jaded outlook on these sorts of things. This would probably be better off continued on another thread.
              Last edited by Ironduke; 25 May 19,, 11:35.

Comment

Welcome back Sir

Comment

Unfortunately, it looks like Lemon Tree Liquors in Cloquet, MN is closed.

Back when I was in college, Captain Lemontree was one of WAB's more prolific posters. I'd been talking to him in a thread a few hours before the several hour drive to visit family on a summer day some time last decade. I'd usually just drive through Cloquet without paying attention to anything, and I did a double or triple-take when I saw this store.

My memory is hazy, but I might have had to hit the brakes a little suddenly to avoid a rear-end collision with a car stopped at the light in front of me.

And yes, they had plenty of whisky inside.

Including, perhaps, the Colonel's new favorite whisky. Rumour has it the Colonel spends his weekend nights with a bottle of Black Velvet whilst practicing his new hobby, interpretive dance, prancing about to the music of Celine Dion. ;-)

Last edited by Ironduke; 01 Jun 19,, 16:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    Unfortunately, it looks like Lemon Tree Liquors in Cloquet, MN is closed.
                    I take that back. It's still open for business. They just happened to be closed for the night according to Google when I looked it up.

I'm doubly relieved that the Lemontrees, WAB's own Lemontree, and Lemon Tree Liquor & Gas, are both alive and well.

If Lemontree ever makes it to the parts I'm from, he'll find Lemon Tree is well stocked with:
                    • Miller Lite (it's Miller Time!)
                    • Maverick (formerly known as Harley-Davidson cigarettes, best enjoyed whilst motorcycling)
                    • Blatz Lager (Milwaukee's true finest lager since 1851)
                    • Moosehead Lager (New Brunswick super-premium lager)
                    • Old Gold (lower tar and nicotine since 1926, recommended by 9 in 10 American physicians since 1932)
                    • Milwaukee's Best Ice (made according to ever-increasingly improved upon Old World German Eisbier traditions, sold in 30-packs (a dirty thirty), aka The Beast, a favourite of broke Midwestern college students and the homeless alike)
                    • Leinenkugel's Original (Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin's finest, also known as The Red Squaw)
                    • Steel Reserve (high ABV, sold in 24 oz tall boys and 40 oz glass bottles, imagine a barley-corn adjunct fine champagne, best served chilled, paired with the cheapest cuts of meat cooked in interesting ways)
                    • Miller High Life (The Champagne of Beers, are you living The High Life?)
                    • Labatt Blue (Canada's finest national lager)
                    • Black Velvet (a fine Canadian whiskey, even better than the finest Scotch, can be had at a 95-99% discount compared to Scotch, while also being 95-99% tastier)
                    • Liggett Select cigarettes (made with the finest North Carolina tobaccos, by the same purveyors of the world-famous L&Ms, best enjoyed while paired with Blatz super-premium lager)
                    • Dr. McGillicuddy's Mentholmint Schnapps (an improvement over the German "Schnapps" of yesteryear, imagine a 375mL bottle of mint mouthwash mixed with half a cup of beet sugar)

This is just a small cross-section of the products to be had at Lemon Tree Liquor & Gas.

Of course, they have hundreds or thousands more brands and types of liquors, beers, and cigarettes available inside. According to inside sources, they don't water their petrol down either, which all the other places in town do.
                    Last edited by Ironduke; 15 Jun 19,, 23:17.

Comment

[Labatt Blue (Canada's finest national lager)]

Oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                        [Labatt Blue (Canada's finest national lager)]

Oh dear.
                        I didn't believe it myself, I was taken by surprise by this fact as well, just as it appears you are. I have drank Labatt Blue before, on many occasions, and it was great, but I never knew it was such an esteemed and well-regarded beer. This is straight from the horse's mouth:

Labatt Blue

Pilsener-style Lager, 5.0% alc./vol.
                        (4.9% ABV for Bleue in Quebec)

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.
                        http://www.labatt.com/brands/nationalbrands.php

Tradition

Using only top quality ingredients earns the company the honour of being one of the world's most successful brewers.

The brewer of more than 60 different brands, Labatt combines leading-edge technology in packaging equipment and operations, with the power of its worldwide resources to ensure the highest quality brewing ingredients, methods, technology and people are used in the creation of its fine products.

Brewing is a craft of simplicity and subtlety that owes as much to the brew master's art as to the scientific laboratory. Each step of the brewing process is closely monitored and it is the Labatt brew masters who decide how to balance the brew, giving each brand a characteristic colour, aroma and flavour.

Quality Without Compromise

Labatt takes great pride, time and care to ensure it delivers only superior quality products to its customers. Labatt has an unwavering commitment to using only the finest ingredients and time-proven methods to brew what it believes are among the best beers in the world.

To assure Product Quality and Product Integrity, Labatt provides technical support through an integrated systems approach embracing Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Quality Improvement and Knowledge Management in the quest to become a high-performance learning organization – the best in the business.

Labatt believes in quality at every stage of the process and conducts more than 250 comprehensive quality tests during the overall manufacturing process.
                        http://www.labatt.com/quality/
                        Last edited by Ironduke; 16 Jun 19,, 17:25.

Comment

Working...
                        X