Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: What's wrong with Hong Kong (and how to fix it)

Quote Originally Posted by hboGYT View Post
    I have a sliver of sympathy for the protesting youths of Hong Kong, but mostly disdain.
    I'd be interested to know what you might have thought about youth in East Berlin, say late October 1989?
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Quote Originally Posted by Freyr View Post
    Thats not the point I was making, Mumbai has a history of Trade that has been established over many centuries, You don't get to just recreate this over a few years... Trade links are established over generations. As with London and New York. They are all jewels and China needs to remember that Hong Kong is that Window for them. So give a bit and receive alot.
    The idea that Hong Kong is a critical "window" for China is pretty well discredited these days. That was very much the case when China was closed, and in the first 25-30 years of the Deng Era, but no longer, for at least a decade or more.

What Hong Kong has to offer is the boring backoffice stuff: management, ownership, legal department, IPR, capital markets, insurance, banking, accounting, actuaries, auditors, and a very nice place for families (schools, education, culture, entertainment, nature).
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Patron
    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    The idea that Hong Kong is a critical "window" for China is pretty well discredited these days. That was very much the case when China was closed, and in the first 25-30 years of the Deng Era, but no longer, for at least a decade or more.

What Hong Kong has to offer is the boring backoffice stuff: management, ownership, legal department, IPR, capital markets, insurance, banking, accounting, actuaries, auditors, and a very nice place for families (schools, education, culture, entertainment, nature).
    My reading was it was still a comfortable landing spot for corporations looking at investment opportunities within China, somewhere to base themselves without the full on Chinese bureaucracy. From my experience China is still very much corrupt. For example try leaving when your Visa has run out. You can't unless you pay the official.

Patron
    Quote Originally Posted by hboGYT View Post
    No one wants to be an authoritarian society in theory, but they wouldn't do anything about it if life is generally good. Their bigotry and economic outlook must play a role.
    Really? so why did the UK vote to leave the EU ????? pray do tell!

New money hasn't improved Mainlanders' manners,
    Nothing has

but old money sure hasn't improved Hong Kongese youths' class.
    Hong Kong was largely peaceful up until recently. That Lam Automaton working for Beijing saw to that though.

You sound exactly like a Hong Kongese youth with your rhetoric about manners. You use third-person pronoun when referring to them, but you' may well be astroturfing.
    Well I own lawn mower and I can't speak the tongue so highly doubt it
    There are some widely accepted manners, but no objectively correct manners.
    Depending whose country you are visiting. Its pig ignorant to jump the que. To not say thank you etc

Belittling mainlanders for manners is akin to belittling Asians for eating dogs.
    or cats or a Tigers testicals?

It's damn shallow and insufficient for cause for violent protests.
    The protests are not about manners, they're about identity and respecting Hong Kong rights. Which are definitely more civilised than mainland chinese ones. China should send some officials to Hong kong where they can learn first hand how not to be corrupt, say thank you etc

In fact, manners and dog eating are what a lot of Hong Kongese and Taiwanese youths cite when they try to dissociate themselves from the notion China.
    Really, Ripping the skin off live snakes doesn't float my boat either

The fact that they even try to disassociate themselves from not just the Mainland government but overall Chinese-ness is troubling.
    Its not troubling at all ...They're just better educated
    Last edited by Freyr; 16 Aug 19, at 15:19.

Does anyone know what is the latest with the airport? Is it open or closed?

Thread Information