Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's wrong with Hong Kong (and how to fix it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things coming to a head

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      Q. What's wrong with Hong Kong?
      A. PRC.

Q. How to fix it?
      A. An independent country, plus democracy.
      Too little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing.
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

So where does China come into this? This sounds like a purely Hong Kong issue.

Comment

Originally posted by hboGYT View Post
          The idea is to keep it that away. Courts for any dispute remains in Hong Kong.

Comment

When it comes to government & legislation there is no such thing as a 'purely Hong Kong issue' and has not been for some time, though I suspect you actually know that. As long as China exerts the control it does and insists on intervening directly in what happens in Hong Kong that will remain the case, but I suspect you know that too.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              When it comes to government & legislation there is no such thing as a 'purely Hong Kong issue' and has not been for some time, though I suspect you actually know that. As long as China exerts the control it does and insists on intervening directly in what happens in Hong Kong that will remain the case, but I suspect you know that too.
              I actually don't. The Hong Kong parliament is debating a bill. It hasn't even passed yet. Why is there criticism directed at China? I'm missing some information here.

Comment

I actually don't. The Hong Kong parliament is debating a bill. It hasn't even passed yet. Why is there criticism directed at China? I'm missing some information here.
                The fear is if the bill passed then China can extradite anyone they want to Beijing on any pretext. That the protections present are inadequate or do not inspire any confidence.

Or it could be more basic, they want China out of their affairs and this is one way to express that sentiment.

The comments under the video posted earlier say it all, if there is so much protests then who are the people in office representing ?

Only 30% of them are voted by the people. In 2014, the chief executive who used to be elected became appointed. So the top person in HK is answerable first to Beijing.

I wonder if people in China are even aware of what is going on in Hong Kong or has their internet managed to sanitise everything.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Jun 19,, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                  Too little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing.
                  That post was a bait for 50 cent army. You took it. Great.
                  Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                    That post was a bait for 50 cent army. You took it. Great.
                    If you ever care to actually offer a useful opinion, let me know.
                    Gotcha is a child's game.
                    Trust me?
                    I'm an economist!

Comment

Either you are being deliberately obtuse or you are really not paying attention. There is enough information on this thread alone to explain what is going on. If you want to start paying attention get back to me & we can have a conversation. If you are just being obtuse then no amount of effort from anyone here is going to help.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

If you ever care to actually offer a useful opinion, let me know.
                        Gotcha is a child's game.
                        Most of the time you remain clueless, don't you? You put no effort in understanding what I post, or the target audience, you simply jump in to troll. Try to get rid of that smugness, your highness.
                        Last edited by Oracle; 15 Jun 19,, 19:23.
                        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Hong Kong is not in a position to declare independence. Never mind the outmatched economy and military scenarios, Hong Kong's only source of fresh water is from China.
                          Chimo

Comment

Independence is not on the cards. They want autonomy and less interference.

Purpose and need: The constraints imposed on political development by the Basic Law, interference by Mainland officials in the SAR’s internal affairs, and the structural limitations of an executive-led government have brought Hong Kong to the brink of being ungovernable. The Legislative Council periodically goes on strike, increasing numbers of young people are taking to the streets to express their dissatisfaction, and the ever-present threat of Mainland interference looms larger each year. Understanding the causes, and possible solutions to the current state of affairs requires examination of the roots of the present conflict and the interests of those encouraging their continuation.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Jun 19,, 07:02.

Comment

oh wow! the state caved !!! The bill to amend has been suspended. People win !!

Bottom line : it still remains possible for a resident of HK to murder or rape another in China, Macau & Taiwan and if they flee back to HK there is no way to bring them to justice in the place the crime was committed.

How long can this situation endure ?
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Jun 19,, 07:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                                oh wow! the state caved !!! The bill to amend has been suspended. People win !!

Bottom line : it still remains possible for a resident of HK to murder or rape another in China, Macau & Taiwan and if they flee back to HK there is no way to bring them to justice in the place the crime was committed.

How long can this situation endure ?
                                Wouldn't make a difference. They could've gone to Antigua anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X