Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    Sri Lanka mistook Indian alert as bid to create rift with Islamabad

These tiny islands in the IOR should be handled with a stick, and only a stick.
    Sri Lanka does not want to be dragged into what it claims “India-led alliance” against Pakistan and felt that India is raising a bogey against Islamabad by claiming that Lanka could face suicide attacks, one of the above-mentioned sources claimed.

The Lankan security apparatus was also apparently casual with the Indian alert as they did not comprehend any threat from jihadists after defeating the LTTE, rued the above-mentioned person.
    So that's why they took it easy : (

Comment

Four Chinese scientists killed in Sri Lanka's suicide bombings

RIP.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Kerala Muslim educational body bans niqab in its 150 institutes

Oooo la la. Now we get to see some pretty ladies. :D
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

As i listen to this video Sri Lanka really had no clue this was happening.

The caliphate was over Trump said. There isn't really a problem with extremism in Sri Lanka to begin with. That was only with the LTTE which they dealt with.

Sri Lanka is concerned with big power rivalry mostly between India & China in Sri Lanka and what goes on in the Indian Ocean.

His answers remind me of 9/11 and the Americans being take completely by surprise. This in itself led to conspiracy theories because some find it inconceivable that the Americans could not stop 9/11 with all their power.

These tiny islands in the IOR should be handled with a stick, and only a stick.
          Already did this with Nepal. They were moving in a direction that would have disenfranchised a section of their population, the Madhesis. We didn't want another LTTE like problem to start in Nepal so we pushed there. The result is the Nepalis don't like us but to hell with that. Sri Lanka might have defeated the LTTE but the basis for which the LTTE sprang out of still exists, namely the Tamils are considered second class citizens.

He learnt religion from wrong people, happy he’s dead: Lanka bomber’s sister

Family knows everything. Drinking is considered somewhat of a taboo here, but I like my drink. So I sneak out, buy a bottle, come back, go to the roof, and drink. And I do all of these very discreetly. Absolutely no sound. I cook my own dinner, so I don't come face to face with my parents. But my mother somehow comes to know about it. So, family knows everything. If a person's kids are getting radicalized, their parents/relatives would be the first to notice that change. It doesn't matter any F, now, that those as*h**** have killed 100s. Clearly she is lying.
          Right, family knows everything but tell me who will turn their own in ? nobody. They always hope people will snap out of it and that they will not do anything crazy. Because they weren't crazy before.

So yeah, they always say they never knew after some atrocity happens.

This is why Doval & co. had this thing where if a parent informed them that their young ones had joined IS they would be returned back without any problem with the state provided they had not committed any crimes. The amnesty given to first time stone pelters etc.

PS: AFAIK Assam isn't a dry state so i don't know what you mean by drinking being a taboo
          Last edited by Double Edge; 03 May 19,, 15:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            As i listen to this video Sri Lanka really had no clue this was happening.

The caliphate was over Trump said. There isn't really a problem with extremism in Sri Lanka to begin with. That was only with the LTTE which they dealt with.

Sri Lanka is concerned with big power rivalry mostly between India & China in Sri Lanka and what goes on in the Indian Ocean.

His answers remind me of 9/11 and the Americans being take completely by surprise. This in itself led to conspiracy theories because some find it inconceivable that the Americans could not stop 9/11 with all their power.
            Incorrect assumption. Sri Lanka was warned by Indian IA. They choose to ignore because of their bromance with Pakistan. What happened? 100s of innocents got murdered. From my interaction with some Sinhalese, I've come to understand that they have this grudge against India. Correct to an extent, but it all started with Sri Lankans, helping Pakistan. As far as present FP is concerned, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and most countries in the IOR are a threat because of their pro-China tilt.

Agree with the part in bold. Trump doesn't know jack shit. Nor does he take briefings. He's like the fat hamster who became POTUS by chance. Only reason why India got the green-light from US is Bolton (to an extent Pompeo). Many consider Bolton to be extremely hawkish. I think he is hawkish, measurable and ally-seeking-business-minded person. Bolton is much misunderstood.

Already did this with Nepal. They were moving in a direction that would have disenfranchised a section of their population, the Madhesis. We didn't want another LTTE like problem to start in Nepal so we pushed there. The result is the Nepalis don't like us but to hell with that. Sri Lanka might have defeated the LTTE but the basis for which the LTTE sprang out of still exists, namely the Tamils are considered second class citizens.
            The problem in Nepal continues. It is pro China. If Nepalis don't like us, they should expel the 1000s of Indian businesses and people living over there, and in turn we'd expel lacs and lacs of Nepalis. Give and take, we can't continue giving, and giving, and giving. This has to end. Relationship is between equals. They are not our size for us to care.

Tamils are a fault-line in Sri Lanka that India exploited very well. Old playbook can be repeated. We have the code, all we need to do is tailor it for specific purposes.

Right, family knows everything but tell me who will turn their own in ? nobody. They always hope people will snap out of it and that they will not do anything crazy. Because they weren't crazy before.

So yeah, they always say they never knew after some atrocity happens.

This is why Doval & co. had this thing where if a parent informed them that their young ones had joined IS they would be returned back without any problem with the state provided they had not committed any crimes. The amnesty given to first time stone pelters etc.
            Yeah I know, and it is a good policy. But by not turning in, these families are complicit in the killings of those 100s of innocents. In turn, they'd live their life in infamous glory. Who wants that? Who wants such a miserable life?

PS: AFAIK Assam isn't a dry state so i don't know what you mean by drinking being a taboo
            Even beef isn't banned here (with a rider, should be 14 years old for it to be slaughtered). Mothers. Mom doesn't like it. She understands, she's old. They see this world differently, old generation. For them, anyone who drinks, is of loose morals and will get liver cirrhosis. It's fun, I go up to my roof, it's dark. I can see neighbours, they can't see me. :D

India, Morocco prevent further terror strikes in Sri Lanka

How is a country in NW Africa that good in intelligence? US/EU help to set it up?

Lanka suicide bombers visited Kashmir, Kerala for 'some sorts of training': SL army chief
            Last edited by Oracle; 04 May 19,, 13:52.

Comment

No record to suggest that some Sri Lanka bombers visited Kashmir: Officials

Comment

Incorrect assumption. Sri Lanka was warned by Indian IA. They choose to ignore because of their bromance with Pakistan. What happened? 100s of innocents got murdered.
                That is what India thinks if one goes by that article you posted. But if you listen to Dr. Harinda in the video he says even if there was no rift between the PM & the President that Sri Lanka would still have missed it as their national security vision just wasn't in sync with global developments of IS or violent extremism. They would not have acted on the warning because they just didn't see the threat because the whole notion was of maritime security. China vs India big power rivalry was the priority in Sri Lanka.

The very same blindness could be said of officials who couldn't see 9/11 would happen despite earlier warning signs. Bombings of embassies in Kenya, Tanzania, USS Cole attack etc.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 05 May 19,, 04:05.

Comment

Tamils are a fault-line in Sri Lanka that India exploited very well. Old playbook can be repeated. We have the code, all we need to do is tailor it for specific purposes.
                  Can you expand on this some more ?

Comment

^ If I go by your assumption/video, how can Sri Lankan intelligence be so incompetent. Everybody knows Pakistan (LeT) was training Sri Lankan muslims for attacks in South India. In a way, that this attack happened in Lanka and not South India is a wake up call for both countries. And what can Sri Lanka do about power rivalry between Indo-China? They'd get crushed. I don't understand why these tiny islands try to pinprick India from time to time. Not wise.

Comment

Sure. Will PM later. Please remind me (via PM), if I forget.
                      Last edited by Oracle; 05 May 19,, 04:09.

Comment

^ If I go by your assumption/video, how can Sri Lankan intelligence be so incompetent.
                        It isn't as Harinda says in the video. The problem was political establishment not listening to the intel people. The decisions whether to act or not come from there or not in this case.

Everybody knows Pakistan (LeT) was training Sri Lankan muslims for attacks in South India. In a way, that this attack happened in Lanka and not South India is a wake up call for both countries. And what can Sri Lanka do about power rivalry between Indo-China? They'd get crushed. I don't understand why these tiny islands try to pinprick India from time to time. Not wise.
                        They weren't pin pricking but rather trying to work with India and keeping India's interests at the forefront at least with the Siri sena govt. What comes after in 2020 when they have elections remains to be seen.

It is a wake up call. What i find missing here is why isn't Sri Lanka calling out the Paks like the India media. After all they suffered the brunt of it. Harinda makes clear that just being an extremist does not alone qualify one for suicide bombings. There is a foreign dimension here that remains to be uncovered. These suicide bombers have fought in Syria. Sri Lanka should have kept a closer watch on those that returned. There is a slip up here.
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 05 May 19,, 05:12.

Comment

India, Morocco prevent further terror strikes in Sri Lanka

How is a country in NW Africa that good in intelligence? US/EU help to set it up?
                          Yes, Morocco has close ties with France and in turn the US. The country has been fairly stable over the years with the king in charge. Morocco's location at the mouth of the Mediterranean makes it as important to the west as the Malacca strait is for us.

But these ties are meaningless unless inputs are acted upon and it seems Morocco have done a remarkable job in their country.

In fact Morocco that follows a moderate school of Islam, has one of the successful records of counter-terrorism and de-radicalization. Last year Abdelhak Khiame, Head of Morocco's Central Bureau of Legal Investigation (BCIJ), said Moroccan security services dismantled "183 terrorist cells" in the country that were in the various stages of planning "361 devastating terrorist projects". More than 3,000 people, including 292 individuals with previous criminal record, have been arrested by Moroccan authorities over the past decade.

Morocco over the year has adopted three major national counterterrorism measures, officials told ET. The first was a ‘home affairs’ approach to security. In October 2014, the Ministry of the Interior launched Operation Hadar (Arabic for ‘vigilance’), requiring the security forces to work together to combat terrorism. This resulted in enhanced security at airports, train stations and border posts.

The second measure was to strengthen the legal system. In 2015, the Moroccan parliament amended the country’s counterterrorism laws to criminalise a range of possible terrorism-related activities, including travel to Syria.

The third step was creation of BCIJ as the lead agency for counterterrorism in Morocco. Since 2015, it has been responsible for numerous terrorism-related arrests and is credited with preventing several terrorist attacks in Morocco.

BCIJ works closely with Morocco’s security agencies -- Morocco’s general directorates of national security and territorial surveillance to raid terror cells across Morocco. On April 24, Morocco arrested a seven-member terror cell which was plotting to undermine the security of the country. The operation is one of many that BCIJ has carried out throughout the year against terrorists.

European countries have been working closely with Morocco (Africa's second biggest economy), and conducting joint anti-terror operations with Moroccan security forces.
                          Moroccan Justice Minister Mohamed Auajjar had told ET: “Islam is against terrorism and this is message that Morocco led by its King who is commander of all beliefs in Morocco trying to propagate. There is wrong interpretation of jihad that is being propagated instead of a jihad against poverty. Islam forbids killing of human beings. In Morocco, we have been practicing right values of Islam which encompasses compassion and kindness. Morocco’s deradicalization initiatives have been lauded by the international community. We pursue a multidimensional counter-terror strategy that are three distinct stands – intelligence gathering; socio-economic reforms; and reform of religious schools.”
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 05 May 19,, 05:34.

Comment

Let me just say this here in brief. There are 1000s of Tamil refugees from Sri Lanka residing in Tamil Nadu, among them many foot soldiers of the erstwhile LTTE. Those who did not bow down to the diktat of India were eliminated by the IB during Jayalalitha's tenure, and beyond. Those who did, survived. And not only LTTE, there were other groups (PLOTE, EPRLF, TELO etc) many of whom decimated by the LTTE (supported by India). It's in every country's interest that its external IA, while taking forward the countries FP in any way possible, saves some foot soldiers of the proscribed enemy for use in future. Having said that, it's been almost 3 decades that India has kept a hands free approach to using covert means for attaining Foreign Policy goals. In Sri Lanka that started after the peace-keeping fiasco of 1987, and further after an ex-PM of India was assassinated in 1991.

Come to think of it, if China continues to pet its poodle Pakistan, and Pakistan continues to be this imminent headache, India will have no option but to fight the Chinese in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and beyond. How much money is required to acquire military grade semtex to blast a hi-tech Chinese built infrastructure in those countries. The cost ratio would be 1:10000. Maybe more.

This is why Sri Lanka finds itself in a power rivalry between India and China. Lankans instead, should have gone to the Americans, as India has the influence, but little money to fund them. Again, it's short-term thinking that has led the Lankans into the mouth of godless communists, ready to devour them. We'll sit back and enjoy from a distance, and use our means to de-stabilise Lanka & hit Chinese interests there, if Lanka becomes a staging ground for PLAN.

Comment

Christian-Muslim clashes rock Easter attacks town in Sri Lanka

It has started.

How ISIS radicalized wealthy Sri Lankan Muslims, orchestrated mass slaughter

Lanka terror group linked to Easter bombings has over Rs 140 million cash, Rs 7 billion worth assets: Police

Pakistan Army fishes in troubled waters of Sri Lanka via fake twitter ids

Disgusting. Those people are dead, you F terrorists.
                              Last edited by Oracle; 07 May 19,, 04:37.

Comment

Sri Lanka imposes nationwide curfew after mosques attacked

Comment

Working...
                                X