• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Defence News & Discussions

First secure link between India, US navies set up

Good.

Guided missile destroyer Imphal under Project 15B launched

How come India is facing challenges in building its indigenous AC, but can build destroyers, frigates etc on its own. Russian help?

The IN though, is the only defense arm that is much ahead than the IA or the IAF.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Navy working on mega plan to bolster operational capabilities

Under the plan, the Navy aims to have 200 ships, 500 aircraft and 24 attack submarines, they said.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Future Ready Combat Vehicle: South Korean ready to build FRCV armoured vehicle under Make in India

So FRCV & FICV are not same. One is a tank, the other is a infantry combat vehicle.

Comment

Fire on board INS Vikramaditya kills Indian Naval officer

https://www.firstpost.com/india/fire...r-6523951.html

Comment

^it is not easy to create a blue water navy : (

Comment

Mysterious footprints of mythical beast Yeti sighted, claims Indian Army

Time to go on an expedition, capture one and keep it as a pet.

Comment

INS VELA submarine to be launched for trials on Monday

4th of the total of 6 Scorpene submarines on order for the IN.

Comment

India, UK in talks to build copycat Naval supercarrier: Report

India needs everything it can get its hands on. That is not a super carrier though.

Comment

We've been doing ASW since the 70's with seaking helicopters. We got into it after '65 when the Paks wanted subs.

Seakings worked well until operation Shakti and then as a result of sanctions couldn't get spare parts and the whole fleet got grounded. Only a few could be used by cannibalising parts from elsewhere but it wasn't sustainable as we couldn't make the parts. The MH60 is a long standing replacement for the seakings.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 06 May 19,, 16:26.

Comment

Army to induct 460 Russian-origin tanks to add muscle on Pak front

Why do we need tanks when we can buy anti-tank missiles and take out enemy tanks? Is it the logic that a tank, kind of, serves as a NBC containment vehicle?

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      India, UK in talks to build copycat Naval supercarrier: Report

India needs everything it can get its hands on. That is not a super carrier though.
                      I have to admit I find this idea very odd. This carrier is pretty much a STVOL model... so unless India is planning to buy the F-35B, it's pretty much useless. Are there any such plans?

Otherwise, if the indian navy is sticking with conventional aircraft, it would have done better to buy the french carrier's plans...

Comment

F-21 jets will not be sold to any other country if we get IAF contract: Lockheed Martin

So the IAF issued RFI last month.

Army raises alarm over rising accidents due to faulty ammunition

OFB's are a British legacy which has outlived its usefulness. As of today, and even some decades earlier they were/are inefficient, and manned by incompetent people. Close them down and hand out contracts to private players.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                          I have to admit I find this idea very odd. This carrier is pretty much a STVOL model... so unless India is planning to buy the F-35B, it's pretty much useless.
                          I think India has finally understood there's just no point in re-inventing the wheel.

Are there any such plans?
                          Don't know, but geography demands F-35. India sits in a dangerous neighbourhood.

Otherwise, if the indian navy is sticking with conventional aircraft, it would have done better to buy the french carrier's plans...
                          Nobody knows what's in store. President Trump is screaming regularly that India taxes American goods 200%, so something probably is cooking. But, first, it will be 114 jets for the IAF.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                            Why do we need tanks when we can buy anti-tank missiles and take out enemy tanks? Is it the logic that a tank, kind of, serves as a NBC containment vehicle?
                            Because AT defences are vulnerable to artillery both air and ground based. They are static and must rely on earthworks for concealment and protection wheras armour are maneuver assets. Tanks can go around AT defences, not vice versa.

Tanks can race under howitzer ballistic arcs. Infantry can deny ground to tanks. And howitzers can pound infantry to hamburger.

Each have their place.
                            Chimo

Comment

No, they'll just sell F-16-"EXTREME" based on the F-21 if someone else is willing to pay. It's just a friggin name. Changing it would get them out of that promise.
                              Chimo

Comment

Working...
                              X