Golan Heights move UN headquarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golan Heights move UN headquarters

Does anybody understand on what grounds the United Nations headquarters are hosted by a state, which has begun repeated violation of binding UN Security Council resolutions

Originally posted by m a x View Post
    Does anybody understand on what grounds the United Nations headquarters are hosted by a state, which has begun repeated violation of binding UN Security Council resolutions
    Can you rephrase your question? It's difficult to understand what you're asking.

This is another example of Trump's arrogance and disregard of UN SC resolutions. But on the bright side, most of the US's allies aren't going along with Trump's nonsense. Even Canada is showing some balls now.

Trump continue to alienate the US's tradional allies and it's paying dividends for China/Russia or the BRICS at a crucial time.

The US needs to keep their psychopath president for 4 more years. The damage he can do is hard to over estimate!

The good Trump can do is indicated by his loss of Syria to Russia, as well as the EU now alienated against US plans for war against Iran. Also, Trump and his hawks are planning to make Venezuela the US's next small country that becomes a victim of US aggression. But fortunately, Russia/Putin may have something to say about that.

Comment

It's a broader thematic question. Here's what happened yesterday at 760 United Nations Plaza, New York, if anyone wants to listen -- https://youtu.be/ldkElJI3jbk . The concern is this course of action can not be explained only with Trump's insanity. As there is some sort of strategic rationale from behind him, piling up on the gloomy perspectives with developments such as financial debt burden, depletion of Earths' resources, .. and the USA's role in a multipolar world. It seems now they're trying to keep Netanyahu on power upon the coming elections, but isn't the fact of unleashing this with yet another strike against International Law and Order just enough for the UN to move, before it's too late and collapse

Comment

It's a broader thematic question. Here's what happened yesterday at 760 United Nations Plaza, New York, if anyone wants to listen -- https://youtu.be/ldkElJI3jbk . The concern is this course of action can not be explained only with Trump's insanity. As there is some sort of strategic rationale from behind him, piling up on the gloomy perspectives with developments such as financial debt burden, depletion of Earths' resources, .. and the USA's role in a multipolar world. It seems now they're trying to keep Netanyahu on power upon the coming elections, but isn't the fact of unleashing this with yet another strike against International Law and Order just enough for the UN to move, before it's too late and collapse
        On the question of the UN moving to stop the US. Of course the existing structure of the UN prevents that.

But still that doesn't negate the usefulness of the UN. The power of the veto by SC members is still preventing some regional conflicts from happening. Even though the US has needed to resort to granting itself Nato's authorization for war in some cases.

Comment

The decision for establishment of permanent headquarters of UN is taken by the General Assembly -- https://www.un.org/documents/ga/res/1/ares1.htm . In 1946, European, Asian and African continents had been shattered by the heaviest war in history of mankind. In 21st century, however, there is fundamentally different reality. Not only transport and communication technologies allow, but the very purpose of such universal organization requires its headquarters to be established on rotational basis. General Assembly and Security Council have to convene at varying sites of the planet, even ad-hoc when needed possibly closest to the regional issues they handle. Who says there is no sufficient majority for this move

Comment

The decision for establishment of permanent headquarters of UN is taken by the General Assembly -- https://www.un.org/documents/ga/res/1/ares1.htm . In 1946, European, Asian and African continents had been shattered by the heaviest war in history of mankind. In 21st century, however, there is fundamentally different reality. Not only transport and communication technologies allow, but the very purpose of such universal organization requires its headquarters to be established on rotational basis. General Assembly and Security Council have to convene at varying sites of the planet, even ad-hoc when needed possibly closest to the regional issues they handle. Who says there is no sufficient majority for this move
            Trump was so uninformed on the value of the UN to the US as it pertains to being a legitimizing body for US future aggression, that he thought he would pull the US out!

In reality, the US should be funding the UN exclusively because of the value it gets out of the UN as a legitimizer of it's wars. Or perhaps should have, until the UN turned thumbs down on US demand of the Golan being turned over to the Zionist regime.

Comment

https://news.antiwar.com/2019/03/28/...golan-heights/

All 28 EU countries condemn the Zionist regime's annexation of the Golan Heights.

And the US/Trump again stand alone on the support of that apartheid regime!

Comment

Several reasons. The investments by foreign countries in their own holdings in NY has been done. It ain't exactly cheap to build up missions to the OPSEC and COMSEC requirements. To tear it all down and destroy it (you certainly do not want the FBI to learn of your encryption/decryption equipment) to move to another location is simply beyond the means of a lot of countries.

But the biggest reason of all is that no high luxury city on earth wants to host a bunch of entitled brats who abused local laws and leave their bills unpaid. NYC is still trying to get water, electric bills paid as well as settling with a whole bunch of parking tickets. Geneva was asked. They said, thanks but no thanks.

And the cities that wants to say yes, those diplomats don't want to go. There isn't exactly any shopping to be done in Mogadishu.
                Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by montgomery View Post
                  Trump was so uninformed on the value of the UN to the US as it pertains to being a legitimizing body for US future aggression, that he thought he would pull the US out!

In reality, the US should be funding the UN exclusively because of the value it gets out of the UN as a legitimizer of it's wars. Or perhaps should have, until the UN turned thumbs down on US demand of the Golan being turned over to the Zionist regime.
                  What a load of crock. There has been EXACTLY 2 wars authorized by the UN. The Korean War and the Kuwait War. No one else bothered with the UN, not even the Russians and the Chinese.
                  Chimo

Comment

The UN should be somewhere neutral?

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                      What a load of crock. There has been EXACTLY 2 wars authorized by the UN. The Korean War and the Kuwait War. No one else bothered with the UN, not even the Russians and the Chinese.
                      Yes, you make a fairly good point, but you have also made my point for me by citing the two US led wars. And we could go on to cite the many times the US has appealed to the UN has been turned down by the UNSC. This would have a lot to do with Trump's former senseless babbling on pulling out of the UN. (would you care to see a few references to that?)

Kosovo also comes to mind, in which the US was denied it's war by the SC and then had to find legitimacy by relying on Nato. Is that consistent with your recollections?

I would suggest that this could lead us to an interesting discussion on the use of the veto at the SC. And thanks for your opinion!

Comment

Yes, you make a fairly good point, but you have also made my point for me by citing the two US led wars. And we could go on to cite the many times the US has appealed to the UN has been turned down by the UNSC. This would have a lot to do with Trump's former senseless babbling on pulling out of the UN. (would you care to see a few references to that?)
                        First of all, I have an extremely low opinion of the UN. They're nothing more than a bunch of suits looking for that $10,000 per night hotel room. It is not uncommon for Canadian Forces Blue Berets to throw them out of our camps. I was ordered to surrender my track to two 16 year olds with AK-47s. I stared the fucking suit into silence and pointed to the two teens to get the hell out of my way.

Canadian General MacKenzie threw a UN Diplomat out of his tent when he questioned an Indian General extremely rudely. The UNSCRs for all practical reasons are nothing more than toilet paper and the UN used money to produce reports like toilet paper and those reports would have been better used as toilet paper.

Kosovo also comes to mind, in which the US was denied it's war by the SC and then had to find legitimacy by relying on Nato. Is that consistent with your recollections?
                        It was never denied by the UNSC because it was never brought up to the UNSC. Just like every other freaking war since the UN's birth. Not a single one of those UNSCR got any military muscle assigned to them. The USSR did not goto the UNSC for Czechoslavkia, Hungary, Afghanistan, and Chechnya. The US did not goto the UNSC for Vietnam, the US-Iran Freighter War, Grenada, Panama, Somalia, Kosovo, and the Iraq War. China did not goto the UNSC for Tibet, the Sino-Indian War, the Sino-Vietnam Spratley War, the 1st and 2nd Sino-Vietnam Border Wars, and the Kuoming Islands.

Yeah, the UNSC is sure a real sign of military action legitimacy. No one cares and no one is either asking for permission nor for forgiveness from the UNSC.
                        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 30 Mar 19,, 21:21.
                        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                          First of all, I have an extremely low opinion of the UN. They're nothing more than a bunch of suits looking for that $10,000 per night hotel room. It is not uncommon for Canadian Forces Blue Berets to throw them out of our camps. I was ordered to surrender my track to two 16 year olds with AK-47s. I stared the fucking suit into silence and pointed to the two teens to get the hell out of my way.

Canadian General MacKenzie threw a UN Diplomat out of his tent when he questioned an Indian General extremely rudely. The UNSCRs for all practical reasons are nothing more than toilet paper and the UN used money to produce reports like toilet paper and those reports would have been better used as toilet paper.

It was never denied by the UNSC because it was never brought up to the UNSC. Just like every other freaking war since the UN's birth. Not a single one of those UNSCR got any military muscle assigned to them. The USSR did not goto the UNSC for Czechoslavkia, Hungary, Afghanistan, and Chechnya. The US did not goto the UNSC for Vietnam, the US-Iran Freighter War, Grenada, Panama, Somalia, Kosovo, and the Iraq War. China did not goto the UNSC for Tibet, the Sino-Indian War, the Sino-Vietnam Spratley War, the 1st and 2nd Sino-Vietnam Border Wars, and the Kuoming Islands.

Yeah, the UNSC is sure a real sign of military action legitimacy. No one cares and no one is either asking for permission nor for forgiveness from the UNSC.
                          With all due respect, I find your opinion of the UN rude and slanderous. I don't think I have anything more to say to you. Have a nice day!

Comment

With all due respect, I find your opinion of the UN rude and slanderous. I don't think I have anything more to say to you. Have a nice day!
                            Have you dealt with the UN ?

Comment

My opinion? If that, it is my experience that they're nothing more than suits looking for $10,000 a night hotel spas. The worst is Kofi Annan. He personally stopped the last chance LGen Dallaire had to stop the Rwandan Genocide and when the Israelis were shelling our people in Lebanon, he was nowhere to be found, away at a spa somewhere, only to be indignant on Monday morning after our people have been killed.

We had a saying in UNPROFOR. Never asked the UN anything on a Friday. It will be Monday afternoon before they got back to you that they received the message. It was so freaking frustrating that in order to get anything done, we were ordered to take off the blue berret and put on the greens. That is we stopped being UN Peacekeepers under the command of the UN and became Canadian soldiers under the command of Ottawa.

Don't like it? Tough. This is the real world. Not your Stanley Krubrick fantasy movie.
                              Chimo

Comment

Working...
                              X