No announcement yet.

Indian National Elections - 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Even better. TMC is being honest, they've displayed their goonda culture in this video.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Source

Second post from the above link, Prakash Thorat.

Which shows that Indians in general doesn't need doles. People will work hard to earn money. The government should not be in the business of running any business - railways, banks, airlines, airports, vegetable mandis (APMC) - just to name a few. Government should enable citizens and businesses by enacting laws that punish those in the government bureaucracy who are lazy and don't do their job while maintaining an efficient, corruption free system that actually helps in getting faster and fewer clearances. Doing away with legacy laws, and these are things just for a start. There are many milestones to achieve after that.

GDP growth of 7+%, but it doesn't reflect in job creation. So there must be something wrong with the way we measure GDP itself.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

BJP have come out with several more.

^This above directed at the first time voter should appeal to the Colonel. It has a definite MC Hammer vibe to it

Contemporary and pretty good

^ Another official song ?

^ and another

The official Chowkidar tune comes in several state variants too, with localised clips Telegu, Tamil, Bengali, UP,, Himachal, Chattisgarh etc

Noticeable is how the translators just can't come close to the thunder in Modi's voice
        Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Apr 19,, 21:30.

Comment

Defense budget utilisation. That last word is important as having a budget and not utilising is as good as no budget

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
            My gut feeling is NDA (BJP and allies) gets a majority. Somewhere around 290+.
            Well, your gut seems to tally very closely with the CSDS survey conducted last month end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CSDS 2019 seats estimate.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1477973

The south which i belong to does not like the BJP for some reason

Name:	CSDS 2019 southern india.JPG
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1477974

Muslims are slightly more positive than Christians & Siks

Name:	CSDS 2019 minorities estimate.JPG
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1477975

Frankly, I don't see the zeal of BJP workers this time. More than half the time was spent on fighting allegations of corruption from the Congress, which frankly was unnecessary.
            Without those workers BJP can't do anything. Everything depends on them. If they are upset they will even sabotage the party.

Congress will improve its tally, but I haven't done much research on them, so can't say right now, even then I don't think they will cross 100 seats. Regional parties will grab the remaining seats (BJP/Congress allies, 3rd front or whatever etc). However, right now, since we live in a state of flux, we might be surprised.
            See the CSDS survey linked above. However they don't measure the effect of Balakote. Wish they did a poll in early 2019, we'd have been able to measure the effect better then.

Comment

Need to fix GDP data issues, says IMF chief economist Gita Gopinath

Comment

Another theory why Vajpayee lost. Turnout. People didn't show up to vote in enough numbers because they assumed he would win. Moral of the story is a lower turnout favours the opposition.

Comment

Forgotten about these guys. Aam Aadmi Party

Their aspirations are more modest these days, their song is about Delhi only (!)

Comment

Prescient article in the GT from last year by Liu Zongyi. Must be GT's South Asia watcher.

Foreign policy key for Modi in 2019 elections | GT | Aug 12 2018

Back in 2014, Modi came to power with pledges to reform and develop. His government launched a spectrum of socioeconomic and development policies like land legislation reform, the "Make in India" program, demonetization, and the Goods and Services Tax reform. These measures, especially the last two, left a profound impact on Indian society and drew mixed responses.
                    So his economic performance was mixed.

However, the series of domestic economic reforms initiated by the prime minister have been dwarfed by his foreign policy.

In the number of overseas visits ever undertaken by an Indian prime minister, Modi is second to none. His administration has made breakthroughs in diplomacy with major countries and those in the region. The prime minister aims at strengthening control over South Asian and Indian Ocean countries to consolidate India's dominant role in the region.

Moreover, the Modi administration intends to play a balanced or even a leading role in the international order to improve India's international status. Modi's maneuvers among China, Russia, the US and Japan have showcased his intention to project India as a "China balancer." India views China as the biggest variable in the global and regional order.
                    FP is truly Modi's strength and the article goes on to detail his many achievements here. However that isn't enough

After improving ties with Beijing and Moscow, New Delhi is back to its previous practice of striking a balance between China and the US.

How long the Modi administration's China policy will last is in question. Some forces within the BJP dissatisfied with the prime minister's foreign policy expect him to implement more pro-West and pro-US measures while taking a tougher stance against neighboring countries.

To gain victory in the general elections, Modi may have to make use of Hindu nationalism and provoke disputes with Pakistan. Keeping a balance between the East and the West remains his biggest diplomatic challenge for India.
                    That's why Chris Fair thinks ISI wants Modi back

I think he's managed the balance between East & West pretty well.
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Apr 19,, 05:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      That's why Chris Fair thinks ISI wants Modi back

I think he's managed the balance between East & West pretty well.
                      Yeah, Modi is the rabid genocidal maniac who has killed millions of Muslims/Jews/Christians. WT..where do these guys even earn their degrees from, if they have a degree?

Modi will provoke dispute with Pakistan? Really? Why isn't the world asking PAKISTAN to stop TERRORISM?
                      Last edited by Oracle; 15 Apr 19,, 02:16.

Comment

Since "some" people were up in arms about EVM vs paper, there will be a VVPAT is each and every booth around the country. Below is a demo of how the system works. You press a button, it prints out the party symbol and know your vote was recorded as desired.

Should be of interest to anyone curious how the process is done.
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Apr 19,, 21:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          BJP's video is getting close to 1.2M views. Congress', OTOH, has crossed 4M views. I'll be frank, I like the Congress' video more.
                          A week after it came out the congress tune is now sitting at 10M views

Let's see if they can double those views in a week's time

Comment

Modi's been giving interviews to various channels. here is one

Full transcript of Narendra Modi's News18 interview: I'm a chowkidar, won't let anyone steal India's wealth, says PM | Firstpost | Apr 10 2019

The Pulwama terror attack on the CRPF convoy took place on 14 February and I met you at the Rising India summit on 25 February, hours before the Balakot strikes. That evening, none of us could guess what was on your mind. You got the news at 3:40 am the next morning (26 February). What was going through your mind in these 10-15 days?

I said on the very first day itself that Pakistan and the terrorists had made a grave mistake. And you could understand from my body language and my speech what I was feeling. But I don't take any short-cut, no decisions in a hurry. I consulted everyone, including the armed forces, on how to proceed. Our armed forces had already neutralised those behind the Pulwama terror attack. That was a big achievement in itself but I was not satisfied. If we did not strike at the heart of terror, where terrorists are nurtured, then they would not learn their lesson. Look at 26/11 and the attack on Parliament. Pakistan assumed we would not retaliate and it emboldened them. This time we thought, no more. We had conducted surgical strikes after Uri as well, but this time we felt that was not the answer. Air strike was the better option, so we took that option, and we were successful. And I believe we did this in consultation, taking everyone into confidence.

First you carried out surgical strikes and then the Balakot air strike. But Lashkar and Jaish still strike with impunity in Kashmir. What is the long-term solution?

Firstly we must acknowledge that terror attacks have considerably decreased. Pulwama was an exception. It's mostly encounters between security forces and terrorists. Usually, the security forces are the ones engaging the terrorists, and most of this was when we were in power at the centre. It wasn't that the terrorists came, attacked and escaped.

Opposition parties have repeatedly asked you for proof on the Balakot strikes. They've asked where the number of 250 deaths have come from. Will you be providing any proof?

When you're fighting an enemy, then this kind of language motivates the enemy, confuses the nation, and demoralises our soldiers. At a time like this, all of us must speak in one language to boost our soldiers' pride, to honour their valour. There have been many wars earlier, did anyone use such language then? Never. Many elections have taken place as well, no one spoke like this. Ever since the Congress lost power, they are hungry to regain power and have sunk to a new low. That's why they are speaking like this. As far as proof is concerned, Pakistan itself is proof enough. Why would they wake up at 5am and tweet? We were quiet. Pakistan itself has given proof. It's not that India claimed the attacks first.

What can we hope for from Pakistan in terms of tackling terror? The army is controlling Imran Khan, he is claiming India is warmongering because elections are imminent.

India does not believe a single claim made by Pakistan. Pakistan has zero credibility here, and so no Indian citizen believes what is said in Pakistan. But, unfortunately, the opposition here speaks the same language as Pakistan. That is a cause for concern. India keeps having elections, there is an election every six months. So it's wrong to link the Balakot strike to elections.

China is also linked to Pakistan. China has used its veto at the UN on Masood Azhar for the fourth time in 10 years. So how should we deal with china?

On one hand, there is our bilateral relationship with China. We have a political engagement with China, we have investments there, and they have investments here. Our leaders go there, their leaders come here. Amid all this, there are border disputes which are still unresolved. India has one perspective, China has another. So both sides have accepted that we have differences, but our objective is that these differences don't turn into disputes. And if there are such incidents, then we hold high-level talks. This is a continuous process.

As far as their stand on international issues goes, each country takes its own decisions in their own manner. As we do. In some matters, we take Palestine's side, in others we take Israel's side. Sometimes we back Iran, sometimes the Arab nations. All countries have their own strategies in their national interest.

There was a time when India had only Russia's support on the international stage — and the rest of the world was with Pakistan. Today the entire situation has changed. Now only China stands with Pakistan and the rest of the world with India. We must understand this change. This is proof of our success.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Apr 19,, 19:03.

Comment

Done! Now the waiting game begins

Name:	voting.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1477980

Comment

Here is mine:

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	1477981
                                Last edited by Oracle; 18 Apr 19,, 07:42.

Comment

Working...
                                X