No announcement yet.

China's multi-billion dollar media campaign 'a major threat for democracies'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China's multi-billion dollar media campaign 'a major threat for democracies'

Truth or hype ?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...acies/10733068

China or Russia?
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

How China is catching up

Comment

Does not come as a surprise. China's actions today imitates Nazi-Germany's of the 20th century. China is the biggest threat to democracies around the world, and with the US having a transactional president (who respects Xi), this threat will only go north. For democracies to survive the onslaught of China's imperial ambitions, a long term strategy is needed, where like-minded countries join forces and device tactics to clip China's wings of authoritarianism. What China needs today urgently is what we've already got. Multi-party democracy, freedom, rule of law, amongst a variety of other things.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          China is the biggest threat to democracies around the world, and with the US having a transactional president (who respects Xi), this threat will only go north.
          Article makes the point that the biggest threat to the CCP is a free press.

What this forray into media is going to do is temper the anti-China sentiment going around which is bad for business.

Article also goes on to say a lot of money is being invested but if it doesn't get watched to the extent other publications attract then its long term intent will be muted.

Whether China will follow the same path as Russian media and not be any better or they do something different and try to get into the league of Al Jazeera which has been going over twenty years now.

Early days.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            Article makes the point that the biggest threat to the CCP is a free press.

What this forray into media is going to do is temper the anti-China sentiment going around which is bad for business.

Article also goes on to say a lot of money is being invested but if it doesn't get watched to the extent other publications attract then its long term intent will be muted.

Whether China will follow the same path as Russian media and not be any better or they do something different and try to get into the league of Al Jazeera which has been going over twenty years now.

Early days.
            It does well for all ethnic Asians too. A lot of people who say they hate the Chinese government actually just hate Asians. Too much negative portrayal feeds their confirmation bias.

Comment

Originally posted by hboGYT View Post
              It does well for all ethnic Asians too. A lot of people who say they hate the Chinese government actually just hate Asians. Too much negative portrayal feeds their confirmation bias.
              A lot, in 1000s, of ethnic Chinese have travelled to India to set-up their business, buy properties, build houses, live a free life, breathe in free democratic air, vote for people they want to be in the government, even have a temple of Goddess Kali - in which they serve and pray everyday @ Kolkata. This is the same story worldwide, in free democratic countries. US, UK, Canada, EU, Australia, New Zealand, everywhere.

Col OOE, who is ethnic Chinese, is loved by many, not just in WAB, but across boards. He commands that kind of respect and he gets it.

Dislike for the CPC for its acts of commission and omission, which is portrayed openly in the media now, is not dislike for the common Chinese. You're yet to figure that out, yet.

FYI, w.r.t propaganda, the CPC and the PA are miles ahead when it comes to other countries in Asia.

If you plan on visiting India in the near future, give me a shout. I'll take you around, and you can see for yourself the views on the ground. Common people are the same everywhere. But, there's this doubt. If living in a free society that New Zealand offers hasn't changed your views, nothing will.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

What can the average Chinese do though in an authoritarian govt ?

They don't get to vote on policy.

China is govern by law not rule of law so no public challenge on laws is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  A lot, in 1000s, of ethnic Chinese have travelled to India to set-up their business, buy properties, build houses, live a free life, breathe in free democratic air, vote for people they want to be in the government, even have a temple of Goddess Kali - in which they serve and pray everyday @ Kolkata. This is the same story worldwide, in free democratic countries. US, UK, Canada, EU, Australia, New Zealand, everywhere.

Col OOE, who is ethnic Chinese, is loved by many, not just in WAB, but across boards. He commands that kind of respect and he gets it.

Dislike for the CPC for its acts of commission and omission, which is portrayed openly in the media now, is not dislike for the common Chinese. You're yet to figure that out, yet.

FYI, w.r.t propaganda, the CPC and the PA are miles ahead when it comes to other countries in Asia.

If you plan on visiting India in the near future, give me a shout. I'll take you around, and you can see for yourself the views on the ground. Common people are the same everywhere. But, there's this doubt. If living in a free society that New Zealand offers hasn't changed your views, nothing will.
                  The problem is, Not many people have the self-awareness to separate 2 closely associated entities at the sub-conscious level. It's just like Islamophobia. Haters say they hate Muslims, when in fact they also hate brown people.

Just look at the comment section of any Youtube video about the Chinese government. There's bound to be something along the lines of "Chinese are cancer."

I once heard a Taiwanese trying to gain respect by distancing himself from the Chinese government, still got called a ching chong.

Comment

The problem is, Not many people have the self-awareness to separate 2 closely associated entities at the sub-conscious level. It's just like Islamophobia. Haters say they hate Muslims, when in fact they also hate brown people.
                    Quite a few brown people in my country don't like muslims either : D

They make the exact same arguments, why only muslims cause trouble not realising over 95% of the victims are muslim if accounted for on a global level

Comment

According to some reports, 2.5 million Uighurs are in what the CPC call re-education camps. So, all Chinese hate Muslims? What BS. I said it before, common Chinese/Indian/American/European people are more concerned about where their next meal is going to come from.

Just look at the comment section of any Youtube video about the Chinese government. There's bound to be something along the lines of "Chinese are cancer."

I once heard a Taiwanese trying to gain respect by distancing himself from the Chinese government, still got called a ching chong.
                      So, the comments were directed at the CPC, but were labelled as 'Chinese'. Comparing random youtube comments as hate for the Chinese people is wasting your own time. You have not seen the hate generated against Indians in youtube, or Pakistanis. Even Americans. There are always people who have a lot of free time on their hands, and they use it to post nasty comments. That's it. If that affects you, then only you lose. I'd suggest you ignore those.
                      Last edited by Oracle; 02 Mar 19,, 15:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        Quite a few brown people in my country don't like muslims either : D

They make the exact same arguments, why only muslims cause trouble not realising over 95% of the victims are muslim if accounted for on a global level
                        If one looks at the religion of victims of terrorism in India, 5% would be innocent muslims in a largely Hindu majority country. I'm not saying there are no bad muslims, which is a different argument altogether. At the end, it's all about power consolidated in the hands of a few. Power=money, whichever way one looks at it.

Comment

Working...
                        X