The US 2020 Presidential Election & Attempts To Overturn It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    I have no idea who is around that will tick the right boxes in the right sequence. I'm also aware that for all the focus on failed Presidential candidates, they don't often get the nod. However, they are high profile, so we talk about them. Would Julian Castro be a decent choice? I'm not sure he can get Texas over the line, but he could certainly help reach out to latino communities. Is Kamala Harris a contender? Any useful current or recent state governors?
    How much of a following does Catro have in the Latino community (Biden's biggest weakness)? He dropped out of the primaries very quickly so I am skeptical about it. Might still help though.

Harris makes sense insofar as she is a woman and a PoC. But Biden does not need her to win California and he already has the support of the Black community it seems.

Comment

• I think that due to the failures of Trumpkins and his gang of hoodlum (be they perceived failures or real) and the effect this virus is likely to have on the world economy Biden is odds on favourite for November election (unless it is called off for 'health reasons').

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
        I think that due to the failures of Trumpkins and his gang of hoodlum (be they perceived failures or real) and the effect this virus is likely to have on the world economy Biden is odds on favourite for November election (unless it is called off for 'health reasons').
        He will attempt to cancel the election, using Coronavirus as an excuse, whether it's justified or not, especially if his approval ratings fall into the 20-30% range, reducing him to only his hardcore Kool-Aid drinkers.

Once he leaves office, he's dead meat, legally speaking. His children are dead meat legally. His "Organization" is dead meat legally.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• It was just a thought but if there is a chance that Trumpkins may attempt an 'everlasting emergency' excuse what happens? I mean it may be worth considering...

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
            It was just a thought but if there is a chance that Trumpkins may attempt an 'everlasting emergency' excuse what happens? I mean it may be worth considering...
            I don't know. It's definitely worth considering but we're in completely uncharted territory. It was laughable in the extreme when the far-right and people from other countries were predicting that Obama was going to seize power after his 2nd term was up. But now, I have no idea what will happen in November or January.

Frankly it's rather terrifying how much the GOP has knelt before Trump's unzipped pants to save their political careers...and even more terrifying because they know how necessary it is, considering what's happened to most of the conservative Right in this country.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Washington Post gives Biden ad four Pinocchio’s. https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...eo-slam-trump/

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                I don't know. It's definitely worth considering but we're in completely uncharted territory. It was laughable in the extreme when the far-right and people from other countries were predicting that Obama was going to seize power after his 2nd term was up. But now, I have no idea what will happen in November or January.

Frankly it's rather terrifying how much the GOP has knelt before Trump's unzipped pants to save their political careers...and even more terrifying because they know how necessary it is, considering what's happened to most of the conservative Right in this country.
                Even with a fanatical support base & a supine GOP I don't see Trump stopping elections unless there is medical advice from the most respected sources. If Anthony Fauci says suspend then that should be enough for anyone. (Note: I have no idea what the Constitutional provisions are here, so I'm not sure if it is even possible under current circumstances)

Short of that it would not just be political suicide for him, but for the GOP in down ticket races. They would know this and senior figures would suddenly rediscover their collective manhood (not being sexist, the GOP Congressional delegation has marginally more women than a Taliban conference). Of course, Lindsey Graham would roll over for a tummy tickle and most of Trump's base would defend him to the hilt, but party officials would know that not only would this encourage the most hardcore 'never Biden' Sandersista to vote for Joe, but it would encourage a lot of moderates & even people not planning to vote to give the GOP an almighty whack. Watching Trump supporters once again justify something that would be deemed the END OF THE REPUBLIC if any Dem even thought it would be amusing, however.

The GOP Establishment may be spineless, amoral and utterly devoid of principle, but they are governed by self preservation. For now challenging Trump runs counter to that. If he is driving over a cliff at top speed they will at least wrestle for the wheel. I also don't see SCOTUS signing off on anything like what you are thinking about.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Calm down, folks.
                  The US does not have a "national" election for any office.
                  There are 50 state elections, which collectively (via the Electoral College) determine who gets to live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
                  The President can't cancel the election; if he could, wouldn't Abe Lincoln have done it in 1864?
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                    The President can't cancel the election;
                    I can think of a few ways he'll try. Martial law, for starters.

Remember, this is a mentally-unhinged sociopath being blindly supported by a LOT of powerful people, who is already facing a storm of legal problems.
                    Once he's out of office, if he's still above ground and semi-lucid, that storm will turn into an all-out nuclear war.

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                    if he could, wouldn't Abe Lincoln have done it in 1864?
                    Not necessarily. Abe was an iron-fisted dictator when he needed to be, yes.
                    But just because he could've doesn't mean that he would've.

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                      Washington Post gives Biden ad four Pinocchio’s. https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...eo-slam-trump/
                      What you believe the Amazon Washington Post? Fake news from a garbage newspaper.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                        I can think of a few ways he'll try. Martial law, for starters.

Remember, this is a mentally-unhinged sociopath being blindly supported by a LOT of powerful people, who is already facing a storm of legal problems.
                        Once he's out of office, if he's still above ground and semi-lucid, that storm will turn into an all-out nuclear war.

Not necessarily. Abe was an iron-fisted dictator when he needed to be, yes.
                        But just because he could've doesn't mean that he would've.
                        Martial law ... enforced by state National Guard?

Abe wasn't a serious suggestion, just an attempt to point out that even during the nation's darkest hour, no one thought of suspending elections.
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

Washington Post gives Biden ad four Pinocchio’s. https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...eo-slam-trump/
                          Thank you and I can now rest my case about you. Nothing like the gift that keeps on giving...

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                            Calm down, folks.
                            The US does not have a "national" election for any office.
                            There are 50 state elections, which collectively (via the Electoral College) determine who gets to live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
                            The President can't cancel the election; if he could, wouldn't Abe Lincoln have done it in 1864?
                            I do believe that only Congress can postpone an election but not the President. One issue is that states that postpone their elections can still appoint the Electoral College which would mean the Republican governors could appoint a full slate of Republican electors and re-elect Trump that way.

1. Appoint electors
                            The U.S. Constitution and Federal law only require that electors must be appointed on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. In most States, the political parties nominate slates of electors at State conventions or central committee meetings. Then the Governors of each State appoint the electors chosen by the political party whose candidate won the popular vote in the state-wide general election. However, State laws on the appointment of electors may vary.

Under the Constitution, State legislatures have broad powers to direct the process for selecting electors, with one relevant exception regarding the qualifications of electors. Article II, section 1, clause 2 provides that “no Senator, Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States” may be appointed as an elector. It is not settled as to whether this restriction extends to all Federal officials regardless of their level of authority or the capacity in which they serve, but OFR advises the States that the restriction could disqualify any person who holds a Federal government job from serving as an elector.
                            https://www.archives.gov/electoral-c...tate-officials

Comment

• Sad to see her (Tulsi) go. A genuine candidate.
                              https://www.wavy.com/news/politics/g...port-to-biden/

Comment

Sad to see her (Tulsi) go. A genuine candidate.
                                https://www.wavy.com/news/politics/g...port-to-biden/
                                Yeah, definitely a shame.

Hey who did she endorse instead?

Comment

Working...
                                X