Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The US 2020 Presidential Election

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    ...what remains of the Dem Party "apparatchiks" no longer exists, as evidenced by the fact that Sanders pretty much got his way this go-around-- all the DNC reforms were essentially meant to placate him, including massively weakening the role of superdelegates. .
    Just to make sure that this point was not missed...

Any weakening of super delegates was truly superficial, was not massive.

Super delegates simply cannot vote in the first round this year (unlike 2016), but they can and will vote in all subsequent rounds.
    Last edited by JRT; 28 Feb 20, at 01:46.

Tom Steyer hits the bricks.

Senior Contributor
    I read that Biden is back in the race and 'Mayor Pete' out.

Party endeavors to get candidates to quit the race.
    https://noqreport.com/2020/02/24/pow...tuesday-rumor/

An incredible display from the Dem candidates the last few days. I don't think I've ever seen something quite like it. Unfortunately this greatly reduces my popcorn consumption the next few months, but, MY GOD, I wonder what they gave to Amy and Pete to get them to drop out (not that they shouldn't have, if they cared about their party).

That's a HUGE slap against Bernie. The Dem establishment has no faith in the dude whatsoever. I'd have to seriously downgrade my expectations of his chances in the general if the DNC is THAT skeptical of him. I guess him saying he won't take Bloomberg's money is a big part of that: need money to win!

Fortunately Warren blew up in flames, and with a number of rising stars in the party, I'd say her political career is entering sunset.

Other good things:
    -Joe is a complete joke and will "win" because the Dems basically pushed out competing candidates
    -Bernie is probably leaving this election season with the Oval Office permanently out of reach
    -Pete being a darling consensus candidate and garnering practically no black support

So, so hilarious. I guess the next few cycles will be different when the dinosaurs are out, but we'll see. Still surprised Kamala ended up going nowhere.
    Last edited by GVChamp; 04 Mar 20, at 02:15.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by GVChamp View Post
    An incredible display from the Dem candidates the last few days. I don't think I've ever seen something quite like it. Unfortunately this greatly reduces my popcorn consumption the next few months, but, MY GOD, I wonder what they gave to Amy and Pete to get them to drop out (not that they shouldn't have, if they cared about their party).
    Definitely some backroom deals going on there lol.

The Dems should've been united from the start given what an existential threat another 4 years of Trump will be to this country. But nah, can't see 2 inches past their stupid noses. Typical.

That's a HUGE slap against Bernie. The Dem establishment has no faith in the dude whatsoever. I'd have to seriously downgrade my expectations of his chances in the general if the DNC is THAT skeptical of him. I guess him saying he won't take Bloomberg's money is a big part of that: need money to win!
    Sanders was never a serious contender in the general...He wouldn't have even matched Clinton's 2.8 million vote plurality much less won the EC.

-Joe is a complete joke and will "win" because the Dems basically pushed out competing candidates
    Yeah looks pretty likely. Shame too, I would've loved to have seen Bloomberg or even Sanders debating Trump. Talk about a bare-knuckle brawl.

-Bernie is probably leaving this election season with the Oval Office permanently out of reach
    Dude needs to retire. Seriously, make room for new blood for Chrissake!
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

"The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    nah, this is the Bernie line.

Joe was on the ropes until South Carolina, and then the rest of the party saw the depth of African-American support for him.

that was definitely part of the reason why Buttigieg dropped out-- he made a hard play for those votes and got precisely nowhere.

Fortunately Warren blew up in flames, and with a number of rising stars in the party, I'd say her political career is entering sunset.
    maybe this is my own bias here, but I don't think so. it's pretty clear from her strategy that she's playing for the brokered convention-- and that while I really doubt she's gonna end up being the nominee (too bad), she may end up with a job offer in the Biden administration as the sop to the progressives.

there's a lot of butthurt Bernie Bros out there tonight.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Biden has a lot of AA support and a decent amount of WWC support, but the wealthy urbanites clearly do not want him. They will settle for him if the alternative is Bernie. That's more of what I am getting at. You leave those other candidates in, and you're looking at a brokered convention with Bernie getting the plurality of delegates.

Probably just my own bias because my whole FB group is all-in on Bernie or Warren or Pete. And definitely a lot of butt hurt Bernie bros! Biden has solid support in the AA and WWC communities, though, which is going to be a YUGE advantage for him in November.

Also, the only thing I can say about Bloomberg is "lol Bloomberg." He's clearly lived in a bubble the last 20 years where everyone laughs at his obviously unfunny jokes and no one tells him when he's being an idiot. Which I can't really believe because he was a Big City Mayor for so long...but, DAMN, his debating was horrible.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    the wealthy urbanites clearly do not want him. They will settle for him if the alternative is Bernie.
    agreed..."electability" fears played a lot into the urbanites/professional class settling for Biden vs, say, Warren.

outside the older AA group, Biden doesn't have very fervent support, as you point out. OTOH, Trump is so antagonizing that his presence goes a lot to make up for Biden's fervency problem.

Also, the only thing I can say about Bloomberg is "lol Bloomberg." He's clearly lived in a bubble the last 20 years where everyone laughs at his obviously unfunny jokes and no one tells him when he's being an idiot. Which I can't really believe because he was a Big City Mayor for so long...but, DAMN, his debating was horrible.
    I'm looking forward to Bloomberg spending his money for Dems in a more...effective manner, that's for sure.

I'm also enjoying the schadenfreude of seeing self-righteous Bernie Bros writhe in agony right now. I was -really- not looking forward to both Trump and Bernie supporters go at it this election, both of them have a victimization complex that just drives me nutso.

it's probably the last consolation I'll get for a while because Biden is a walking, talking billboard for why septuagenarians should generally not be running for President.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    I'm looking forward to Bloomberg spending his money for Dems in a more...effective manner, that's for sure.

I'm also enjoying the schadenfreude of seeing self-righteous Bernie Bros writhe in agony right now. I was -really- not looking forward to both Trump and Bernie supporters go at it this election, both of them have a victimization complex that just drives me nutso.

it's probably the last consolation I'll get for a while because Biden is a walking, talking billboard for why septuagenarians should generally not be running for President.
    We seem to be of one mind. Watching the Bernie Bros throw their tantrums and rapidly try to change the narrative to 'no big surprises here' or 'Look, look, the establishment!!!!" is fun, but it won't last. Joe is a crap candidate. So is every other candidate in the field.

Goddam Warren is stupid. She had this. All she had to do was not have too many stupid policies or do/say too many stupid things. She could have pulled support from across the party, been the 'anyone but Bernie' candidate for moderates and even reached out to the Sandersistas after the convention. SIGH!

Now we get to watch Biden look like that doddering uncle who falls asleep after Christmas lunch or Sanders offer Trump the most target rich environment any candidate has offered for decades.

Do better America. It matters to way too many of us.

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Senior Contributor
    It has been reported that Bloomberg has withdrawn from the Democrat primary race, and that Bloomberg has endorsed Biden.

Regardless whomever might be in the lead at the end of the primary race, it seems doubtful that anyone will go into the 2020 Democrat Party Convention with a >50% majority. Regardless if he is in the lead or trailing, if Sanders does not concede prior to the second round of voting, then I would expect that the Party Apparatchiks will nominate Joe Biden. It is my now waning hope that Bernie Sanders will be in the lead going in, because I would very much like to see the disruption that would follow after the Democrat Party Apparatchiks take that away from him and hand the nomination to Joe Biden.

I don't like Trump, not at all. Trump is just an asshole, and I don't like having that asshole as POTUS. But longer term strategy takes priority over short term operations, and for that much longer view I want to see two more Republican appointed Justices to the SCOTUS before the end of the next term of the POTUS, and that remains as a possibility.
    Last edited by JRT; 04 Mar 20, at 17:37.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella View Post
    Joe is a crap candidate. So is every other candidate in the field.

Goddam Warren is stupid. She had this. All she had to do was not have too many stupid policies or do/say too many stupid things. She could have pulled support from across the party, been the 'anyone but Bernie' candidate for moderates and even reached out to the Sandersistas after the convention.

Now we get to watch Biden look like that doddering uncle who falls asleep after Christmas lunch or Sanders offer Trump the most target rich environment any candidate has offered for decades.

I think your assessment nails it.

I would add that Lizzie Warren behaved true to her nature, good and bad. Her unabashed demonstration of her hubris was her downfall. Trump seems to know how to get away with that, but Warren does not, and perhaps the big difference is in the audience rather than at the lecturn.
    Last edited by JRT; 04 Mar 20, at 17:53.

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    JRT,

I would add that Lizzie Warren behaved true to her nature, good and bad. Her unabashed demonstration of her hubris was her downfall.
    really, how do you figure that? genuinely curious, not rhetorically speaking here.

i think her downfall was that she tried to out-Sanders Sanders with that M4A stuff. her main selling point was being the smart one whom would take apart the finance industry; instead she pivoted and tried to be the technocratic Sanders-- which didn't satisfy anybody outside the narrow lane of professionals with graduate degrees.

Thread Information