Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516

Thread: The US 2020 Presidential Election

Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    The GOP had better hope that the Dems never, ever, get the Oval Office and both Chambers at the same time. Trump opened the floodgates and the Dems will have no problem using it against them.
    I have to disagree.
    We, the Democrats, believe in the constitution and respect the opinons of others.

Play fair, and we'll see who gets the most votes.

Cheat, by refusing to let people register to vote, or not making voting easy, or by not having an honest count, and we'll come down on you like a ton of bricks.
    Cheat, by refusing to even give a fair hearing to the President's Supreme Court nominee, or by demanding thorough ignorance before voting on impeachement charges, and you will not be forgiven.
    Cheat, by inviting foreign governments to interfer in our democratic processes, and we will bring the wrath of God down on your heads.

Otherwise, go out there and make your policy pitches. Put up your best, and let's let the voters decide.
    After all, that's the American way.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    DOR,

I have to disagree.
    We, the Democrats, believe in the constitution and respect the opinons of others.
    yes, there are some red lines that Democrats should not cross: inviting foreign powers to meddle in our elections, for instance.

but WITHIN constitutional bounds, I believe that the Democrats must be willing to play hardball-- no, actually -play- hardball for a while and let the GOP fully understand what they have unleashed.

because i -guarantee- you the second the GOP lose the oval office and both chambers, they are going to start making noise again about "regular order", about obscure Senatorial rules and traditions, judicial "blue slips", about PAYGO, about the Senate being the saucer to cool populist passions, etc etc etc.

not because the GOP places any importance whatsoever on this -- Mitch McConnell has already demonstrated that he's happy to rip up tradition to advance his objectives-- but because they view it as a method to trip up the Dems.

if Dems are stupid enough to go "full Biden" and go back to playing by pre-Trump rules, then they will see complete and utter paralysis for the time they are in power.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Thread Information