Thread: Navy Fires 20 Hyper Velocity Rounds through 5" Deck Gun

Navy Fires 20 Hyper Velocity Rounds through 5" Deck Gun

This is an interesting development:

Last summer USS Dewey (DDG-105) fired 20 hyper velocity projectiles (HVP) from a standard Mk 45 5-inch deck gun in a quiet experiment thatís set to add new utility to the weapon found on almost every U.S. warship, officials familiar with the test have told USNI News.

The test, conducted by the Navy and the Pentagonís Strategic Capabilities Office as part of the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2018 international exercise, was part of a series of studies to prove the Navy could turn the more than 40-year-old deck gun design into an effective and low-cost weapon against cruise missiles and larger unmanned aerial vehicles.
    From the sound of the article, this projectile was originally designed for the railgun that the Navy was testing. There wasn't a lot of hard information in the rest of the article, just a lot of conjecture, but a BAE image shows the HVP wrapped to fit a 155mm gun (ie DDG1000 compatible.)

So very interesting. If they can lick the targeting issues, this could be a significant addition to Fleet defense.

It's designed for hyper-velocity, but the test was performed at more conventional muzzle velocities, so I am not sure exactly what was accomplished.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by thebard View Post
    It's designed for hyper-velocity, but the test was performed at more conventional muzzle velocities, so I am not sure exactly what was accomplished.
    without doing the research, i believe the belief is that the hypersonic round will have benefits over a conventional round even when fired from a conventional tube.

Quote Originally Posted by bfng3569 View Post
    without doing the research, i believe the belief is that the hypersonic round will have benefits over a conventional round even when fired from a conventional tube.
    Maybe there are a bunch of rounds left and they don't want them to go to waste. Oh, wait. What am I saying?

Thread Information