Monogram 1/72 F11C-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monogram 1/72 F11C-2

Things are slowing down, and I need a distraction to keep sane.

A few years ago, when Monogram was bought out by Revelle and put to rest. Marks Models/Starfighter Decals commissioned them to make a limited run of their between war biplanes F4B4/P-6/F11c

This is the F-11C kit. Still good detail. Tipical 60s model without cockpit details. But they have a pilot to stick in the void. Only flaw so far is the ejector pin marks on the wings and some really deep ones on the wheel wells.

Should be a fun kit. I also purchased the Starfighter decal F11C-2/BFC-2 Goshawks 1933-1938 decal sheet. Starfighter makes a resin cockpit, a P/E rigging set and a BFC2 conversion it for this model. To much money, IMO, for what you get
    but if you were a 1/72 interwar biplane fan its the only game in town.

This may be the shortest thread ever. Sites not letting me upload pics. I'll try later

Well here we go

Click image for larger version

Name:	a-4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	1477675

Name:	a-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	1477676

Name:	a-2.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1477677

Name:	a-3.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1477678

Comment

Primer down and engine painted.

Name:	b-1.jpg
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1477680

Name:	b-2.jpg
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1477681

Started to paint the top wing yellow. God I hate yellow. Didn't I state once that I would never do another yellow wing plane? I guess I forgot how bad it is after the PT-17.

But I've got 2 more in the stash. 1 a F-16 that I have already done the wings on. Its sort of a "Shelf of doom" model. And I don't know why. I'm using the Tamiya 1/48 F-16c kit. Its been called the best kit ever manufactured. And had no problems
      assembling it. For some reason I just can't get motivated to finish the thing. So I pull it out do a little then put it back. Been 2 years now.

The other one should be here tomorrow. Its the 1/72 Special Hobby F3F-2. The last US Biplane fighter. One of 4 kits I got on the Sprue Brothers Black Weekend sale.

Anyone have a idea on how to rig a 1/72 scale plane. It seems like an insane idea but I might try. A biplane without riggging is like a coat without buttons

Comment

On 1:1 Aircraft propellers shooting yellow on top of black seems to come out fine. For model painting yellow strain and stir, stir some more.

For rigging 1/72 scale biplane: https://www.google.com/search?q=rigg...hrome&ie=UTF-8

This one look interesting. http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/a...iplanegp_1.htm

Hope it helps.

Comment

Still not sure if I want to try rigging this thing.

But got some paint on. Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum , USAF Light Gray (FS36495) which matches Pre-war US Navy light gray (AN 602), Red for the tail. And Model Master Chrome Yellow for the t0p wing.

Pre war planes were painted with silver, but in this scale it looked grainy.

I think I may have this yellow thing licked. On the 4th attempt. First I tried it with black primer., then I tried t with my standard light Ghost Gray primer. Then I tried it over the Metal Air Aluminum. Didn't like any of them. Then I remembered that I had a small bottle of white primer and that gave me the finish I was looking for.

Paints on. A gloss coat tomorrow. Then decals and call her done.

Name:	c-1.jpg
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	1477696

Name:	c-2.jpg
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1477697

Comment

Decals are on. Trying to line up individual numbers was a PITA. Sprayed a coat of gloss to protect the decals. Final assembly when it dries.

Been raining all weekend so no yard work. A welcome break.

Name:	d-3.jpg
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1477704

Name:	d-2.jpg
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1477705

Name:	d-1.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1477706

The hole in the gas tank is for a stand that came with the plane

Name:	d-4.jpg
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1477707

Comment

Need to find some Willow Green for the cowling, add some shadows, and she is done

Name:	e-1.jpg
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1477708

Name:	e-2.jpg
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1477709

Name:	e-3.jpg
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1477710

How big is this beast? I have small hands. She is almost a handful

Name:	e-4.jpg
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1477711

Comment

A few pictures of then and now. 85 years of High Hat/Top Hat history. VF-1B to VFA-14.

Both planes 1/72 scale

Name:	f-1.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1477712

Name:	f-2.jpg
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1477713