Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Back. Life after the storm

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    If by "Normal" you mean the way things were before the storm, Thats going to be about 10 years from now.

Still no gas stations/grocery stores within 45 miles. And its not because they don't have electricity, The ones that were not destroyed suffered massive damage.

One of the hospitals has their ER open. The others are completely shut down
    My starting point for 'normal' is being able to sleep in my own bed and moves on in stages. :-) Sorry to hear things are still so messed up. Sounds like it will be messy for a while. Glad everyone is OK. Stay safe.

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Finally got power back. Its not permanent power, the electric company brought in some industrial size generators to power the communities until the transmission lines are fixed. This storm was far reaching, You all probably know that better than me. Been in a news blackout

Wife is back at the house,( I have a story about her experience and the types of friends that you make in the military) We are starting to cleanup in the yard. Had a tree hit the house, loss some shingles, broke a window, scratched her new car. Roof started leaking friday, So I'm getting a blue roof. All said, I came out real good, no complaints.

I live 17 miles from Mexico Beach. Its still so bad there that only residents and recovery crews are allowed in. Panama City is bad, the communities East of Mexico Beach are decimated.

I did a lot of stupid things before the storm. And I will tell you that no matter how well you think you are prepared, Mother nature has the final say. And she is a bitch.

I'll post various musings later about the good, the bad and the ugly. What we in the Corps use to call a "Hot Wash"
    Sorry I'm late in seeing this Gunny.

Glad all are safe & sound.

Hang tough.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Gunny

Holy. Shit.

I have to also second your high comments for power companies. In 1998 we were hit with a massive ice storm at Christmas time. 5-7 inches of ice. Crashed the power grid. Those power guys were out at 0300 on Christmas morning getting to work. We were out for 5 days but they did a great job.

In 2003 we got in September by Isabelle, a category 3 hurricane. It hit the mouth of the Chesapeake at high tide. The James River flowed INLAND for 3 hours at 2100 as the eye passed due to the storm surge. My county had 90% of its power grid destroyed...not our of power...destroyed. Poles, wires, substations. You name it. At 0800 the next morning I was out looking for ice since no power. Saw 4 power crews from MAINE! working in my neighborhood cleaning up. By 1400 there were 2 semitrailers sitting up the road which were full of power polls. We had power in 4 days. It was a miracle. I took them almost 3 weeks to get whole county up. Keep in mind almost 20% of the country is swamp as we are at the edge of the Tidewater. These folks did amazing work in a short period time. And and my power company is a rural electric cooperative not some huge company.

Power company guys are amazing.

FYI since then they have undertaken an aggressive hardening process, building robust substations and brutally cutting back branches, etc., from power lines. They don't give a damn if your proud of you prized Japanese Maple. If its growing in the right of way it is cutting cut off 5 feet below the power lines.

Semper Fi Gunny and hope all gets better quickly.

And you comment about working for the county/city kind of answers the old question, at least in the North.

Q: What is the definition of essential personnel?

A: Anyone who drives a snowplow
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Thread Information