The Jamal Khashoggi Case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About that Apple watch

A pro-government Turkish newspaper claims officials in the country have an audio recording from the watch he wore when he walked into the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul over a week ago.

Authorities recovered the audio from Mr Khashoggi's iPhone and his iCloud account, the newspaper said. The journalist had given his phones to his fiancée before entering the consulate.

The newspaper also alleges Saudi officials tried to delete the recordings first by incorrectly guessing Mr Khashoggi's PIN on the watch and then using the journalist's finger.

However, Apple Watches do not have a fingerprint ID unlock function like iPhones. The newspaper did not address that in its report.

An Apple Watch can record audio and can sync that later with an iPhone over a Bluetooth connection.

The newspaper's account did not elaborate on how the Apple Watch synced that information to both the phone and Mr Khashoggi's iCloud account.

Turkish officials say they believe a 15-member Saudi "assassination squad" killed Mr Khashoggi at the consulate.

They have alleged that they have video of the killing but not explained how they have it.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Oct 18,, 00:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      He was about to launch a pro-democracy group called DAWN (Democracy for the Arab World Now)

Jamal Khashoggi Wanted to Launch a Pro-Democracy Group. Then the Saudis Disappeared Him | Daily Beast | Oct 10 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
        The stuff about the Apple watch having recorded the audio of Khashoggi's killing. Attribute it to that instead of bugging devices.
        Apple watch recorded it and saved it in his iPhone that was with his fiance outside the embassy.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        Why do you believe this hacking body into small bits story ? its seems like a motivated good hook to get attention quick

Instead how about, the Saudis abducted him in one piece back to Saudi. The Turks were unable to prevent it and raised the alarm.

Given the reaction to the Skirpals, its clear countries don't like others committing murders on their soil. Turks included.

Was there a murder though ? we don't know. But the Turks suspect it and hence the reaction.
        When initial news came out of this case, it mentioned "killing", "saw", "15 member team that flew in from KSA in 2 chartered jets". You could be right, however unnamed sources from Turkey say otherwise. I am pretty sure Jamal is dead, else the Saudis would have presented him before the world.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Apple watch recorded it and saved it in his iPhone that was with his fiance outside the embassy.

When initial news came out of this case, it mentioned "killing", "saw", "15 member team that flew in from KSA in 2 chartered jets". You could be right, however unnamed sources from Turkey say otherwise. I am pretty sure Jamal is dead, else the Saudis would have presented him before the world.
          Exactly!

Comment

Errr.....I don't own an Apple watch, so I am not sure about the technicality of saving footage recorded through the watch into the iPhone. This is what I read. I know for a fact that if one sets up his iCloud account and syncs it with his Apple devices, then it gets saved in the iCloud (pics, vids, docs, mp3 etc).
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Errr.....I don't own an Apple watch, so I am not sure about the technicality of saving footage recorded through the watch into the iPhone. This is what I read. I know for a fact that if one sets up his iCloud account and syncs it with his Apple devices, then it gets saved in the iCloud (pics, vids, docs, mp3 etc).
              I think its bunk. Nothing useful could be recorded once he entered the consulate. The apple watch needs an iphone within bluetooth proximity. That means not more than fifty feet away taking walls into account. He left the iphone with his fiancee before entering.

This watch cannot communicate via 3G on its own. Wifi is possible but he'd need to be on the consulate's wifi for that. Unlikely.

Comment

This, Newspaper says Turkey has audio of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's slaying

Snippets -
                ISTANBUL: Turkish officials have an audio recording of the alleged killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi from the Apple Watch he wore when he walked into the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul over a week ago, a pro-government Turkish newspaper reported Saturday.
                Turkish authorities recovered the audio from Khashoggi's iPhone and his iCloud account, the newspaper said. The journalist had given his phones to his fiancee before entering the consulate.

The newspaper also alleged Saudi officials tried to delete the recordings first by incorrectly guessing Khashoggi's PIN on the watch, then later using the journalist's finger. However, Apple Watches do not have a fingerprint ID unlock function like iPhones. The newspaper did not address that in its report.

An Apple Watch can record audio and can sync that later with an iPhone over a Bluetooth connection if it is close by. The newspaper's account did not elaborate on how the Apple Watch synced that information to both the phone and Khashoggi's iCloud account.
                Earlier in the week, Saudi Arabia had said it would open the consulate for a search but that is yet to happen.
                Disappeared on Oct 2nd. Today is 14th-Oct. The cleaners remain on standby for such events, and when called, immediately finish their job. Professionals. Very unlikely, if Turkish authorities are given access to the consulate now, anything significant would be found. It's been 12 days, and I'd be amazed if any traces of DNA or anything that would constitute forensic evidence would be found.

Now, Saudi Arabia vows retaliation if punished over missing critic

It could have been an open and shut case, had KSA paraded Jamal infront of the media. The Saudis, clearly are guilty.

Comment

More about DAWN

Canadians aren't likely to be too enamoured with the Saudis given their recent spat on human rights.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Oct 18,, 23:25.

Comment

Op-ed by his fiance in the NYT

Twelve days have passed. I have been waking up every morning hoping to hear from him. The speculations about his fate have not been confirmed by the authorities, but the silence of Saudi Arabia fills me with dread. That haunting question doesn’t leave me for a single moment: Is it true? Have they assassinated Jamal?
                    Earlier post from WAPO soon after he went missing

From travels with bin Laden to sparring with princes: Jamal Khashoggi’s provocative journey | WAPO | Oct 07 2018

Khashoggi was embedded with bin Laden’s circle of associates, traveled extensively with the al-Qaeda leader in Afghanistan and wrote one of the first profiles of him for a Saudi magazine in 1988, after being personally invited by bin Laden to accompany him into Afghanistan, according to Peter Bergen, author of the book “The Osama bin Laden I Know.”

Salameh Nematt, a Jordanian journalist based in the United States who was Khashoggi’s colleague and editor at the Al-Hayat newspaper at the time and has remained a lifelong friend, recalled frequently being called upon to rescue Khashoggi from run-ins with authorities because of suspicions about his ties to his extremists. On one occasion in the early 2000s, Nematt had to persuade Jordanian airport authorities not to deport Khashoggi after suspecting him of links to al-Qaeda.

“He was getting into trouble all the time because of his connections with al-Qaeda groups, but he was doing that as a journalist,” Nematt said. “He was very well linked, to the point where some people suspected he was financing extremist groups. I personally was convinced he was doing his job as a journalist and covering both sides.”

At no point did Khashoggi express support for extremist groups, Nematt said. Rather, he took the view that “you have to deal with the moderate Islamists as a political reality or you will have to deal with the extremists. The failure to deal with the mainstream Islamists will lead to the extreme zealots taking over,” he said.

“You could say he wrote, not justifying the actions of the Islamists or extremists, but saying these people had feelings of grievances, of oppression, are the product of violent regimes and clampdowns.”

Bergen, now an al-Qaeda expert with the New America think tank, interviewed Khashoggi extensively about his experiences with bin Laden and concluded that Khashoggi was at least deeply sympathetic to moderate Islamist movements such as the Muslim Brotherhood. But later in his life, he moved toward a more liberal, secular point of view, Bergen said.
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Oct 18,, 02:45.

Comment

The way the Turks have an audio/video recording is somebody else might have recorded what happened when Jamal was in the embassy.

Nothing has been released so far, so open to deals.

Comment

Jamal Khashoggi case: Turkey to search Saudi Arabia consulate, diplomatic source says

The ghost of Jamal have fled by now.

Comment

Part i'm interested in is why did the Turks out the Saudis : )

If they hadn't said anything nobody would know

No, Erdogan wants to personally follow up on this one

There is an additional bonus for the Americans here too as the Turks appear to chase up on what happened this green card holder.
                          So, he is a green card holder and not a citizen. Why is Turkey so bothered or for that matter the Americans?

Why do you believe this hacking body into small bits story ? its seems like a motivated hook to get attention quick

Instead how about, the Saudis abducted him in one piece back to Saudi. The Turks were unable to prevent it and raised the alarm.

What creates the impression he's not alive is Turkey's reaction. The Saudi consulate might be sovereign territory but its in Istanbul and no leader will stand for it.

Given the reaction to the Skirpals, its clear countries don't like others committing murders on their soil.

Was there a murder though ? we don't know. But the Turks suspect it and hence the reaction.
                          KSA has given permission to the Turkish officials to search the consulate. Too little, too late, don't you think.

Comment

Trump touts King's strong denial and we all know what Trump thinks about strong denials. His alternative theory is rouge killers. Now would the King admit something anymore than Trump would which is no doubt why he loves strong denials.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/polit...eet/index.html

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	unfinished story.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	1477495

Comment

Saudis preparing to admit Jamal Khashoggi died during interrogation, sources say

Ankara, Turkey (CNN)The Saudis are preparing a report that will acknowledge that Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's death was the result of an interrogation that went wrong, one that was intended to lead to his abduction from Turkey, according to two sources.

One source says the report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved will be held responsible.

One of the sources acknowledged that the report is still being prepared and cautioned that things could change.

The Washington Post columnist was last seen in public when he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in Turkey on October 2. Previously, Saudi authorities had maintained Khashoggi left the consulate the same afternoon of his visit, but provided no evidence to support the claim.

CCTV footage shows Khashoggi entering the Saudi consulate on October 2.

Khashoggi's fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, who was waiting outside the consulate, says she did not see him re-emerge.

The disappearance created a diplomatic rift between Saudi Arabia and the West. Amid the fallout, international firms pulled out of a high-profile investment summit, the Future Investment Initiative conference, due to take place later this month in Riyadh.

The case also caused friction between Saudi Arabia and Turkey, which repeatedly accused the Saudis of failing to cooperate with their investigation.

Turkish authorities previously said they believed that 15 Saudi men who arrived in Istanbul on October 2 were connected to Khashoggi's disappearance and possible murder. At least some of them appear to have high-level connections in the Saudi government.

On Friday, a source familiar with the investigation told CNN that Turkish authorities have audio and visual evidence that shows journalist Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate.

CNN reporters saw Turkish investigators, including forensics officers, entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul Monday evening. Saudi officials granted permission for the premises to be searched, a Turkish diplomatic source told CNN. Police were seen cordoning off the area before investigators arrived.

Turkish officials also wanted to search the nearby consul general's residence.

Earlier Monday, President Donald Trump suggested that "rogue killers" could be behind Khashoggi's disappearance, after a phone call with Saudi Arabia's King Salman about the case. Trump said King Salman told him "in a very firm way that they had no knowledge of it."

Later Monday, Trump said he had seen the latest media reports. But he said he did not know if the report is accurate or just "rumor."

The President said he remains eager to get to the bottom of what happened to Khashoggi. He noted that Turkey and Saudi Arabia are "working together" to determine what happened.

The President said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will "immediately get on a plane" to Saudi Arabia and will likely also go to Turkey "if necessary." On the airplane, State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert told reporters that Secretary Pompeo "looks forward to meeting with King Salman."

Comment

Working...
                                X