Chinese actions in the South China Seas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    I thought ladyboys are a Thai thing. I once saw a picture, ohhhh.......sent shivers down my body. Why do these girls do that, the sex change operation? Looks very creepy.
    There's a market for that kind of thing. I don't blame anyone who's trying to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. My point is that Pinoy would have a better chance appealling to Trudeau on the LGBTabcdefgh...xyt child sexploitation thing in getting Fillipinos into Canada than standing on a box shouting about garbage cans.
    Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      I thought ladyboys are a Thai thing. I once saw a picture, ohhhh.......sent shivers down my body. Why do these girls do that, the sex change operation? Looks very creepy.
      Oh, not by a long shot. I recall being in a South of Market nightclub (San Francisco, 1988) where 5-6 "Filipina girls" would show up together. This was back where the standard night dress trended towards black and they would show up in long tropical print gowns. They were perfect in every aspect. Too perfect as I watched with a friend. Put 2+2 together but many didn't while I watched other guys circle around these transgenders, called billy boys, trying to figure out if to ask them to dance or not.

Then I ended up in Manila, first time, in 1989 with a very experienced friend on a business trip while I was heading on to Singapore. Unlike Bangkok where ladyboys are in the gogo clubs the billy boys were not in Ermita (del Pilar) or Makati (Burgos) gogo clubs. They had their own venue or were on the streets in front of the clubs. Still to this day billy boys aren't present in the heterosexual clubs like they are in Thailand however they are as large a presence in the Philippines as they are in Thailand when you look.

Comment

• from a US perspective, the Philippines makes for convenient basing in normal ops but not much more. the Philippines is not serious about their own defense, and what money they do throw towards defense disappears to internal corruption.

the Philippines military will admit this very openly to their American counterparts. Duterte says as much when he talks about suicide missions by the Philippine military, because that's essentially what they're down to.

so it's pretty pathetic when Duterte talks crap about the US.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
          There's a market for that kind of thing. I don't blame anyone who's trying to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. My point is that Pinoy would have a better chance appealling to Trudeau on the LGBTabcdefgh...xyt child sexploitation thing in getting Fillipinos into Canada than standing on a box shouting about garbage cans.
          I understand. They look creepy, but earning food is everybody's right.

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          Oh, not by a long shot. I recall being in a South of Market nightclub (San Francisco, 1988) where 5-6 "Filipina girls" would show up together. This was back where the standard night dress trended towards black and they would show up in long tropical print gowns. They were perfect in every aspect. Too perfect as I watched with a friend. Put 2+2 together but many didn't while I watched other guys circle around these transgenders, called billy boys, trying to figure out if to ask them to dance or not.

Then I ended up in Manila, first time, in 1989 with a very experienced friend on a business trip while I was heading on to Singapore. Unlike Bangkok where ladyboys are in the gogo clubs the billy boys were not in Ermita (del Pilar) or Makati (Burgos) gogo clubs. They had their own venue or were on the streets in front of the clubs. Still to this day billy boys aren't present in the heterosexual clubs like they are in Thailand however they are as large a presence in the Philippines as they are in Thailand when you look.
          You Sir, have a lot of experience. I think everybody should visit Thailand once in their lifetime. Not for things mentioned, but for beaches, nightlife and food.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• After yet another failed coup attempt, Mrs Cory Aquino said, "If you look after your marines, they will look after you."
            What I take away from that is that the armed forces are for the protection of the leaders, first, and the usual national interests second.
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

• Duterte has spoken. If the US really wanted to provoke a war against China, do it themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RTiFokKw90

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/07/06/...-shot-at-china

Comment

• Originally posted by Pnoy View Post
                Duterte has spoken. If the US really wanted to provoke a war against China, do it themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RTiFokKw90

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/07/06/...-shot-at-china
                George Friedman said the Philipine navy can chase these China militia away if they want to. How are these militias going to challenge the Philipine Navy ?

If Philipine navy does chase the militia away then China will start a war with PH.

Duterte is lying. This idiot threatened a war with Canada over garbage. Figures he would say this

In March, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo publicly assured the Philippines that the US would come to its defense in the event that it was attacked in the South China Sea. "Any armed attack," the secretary explained, "on Philippine forces, aircraft or public vessels in the South China Sea will trigger mutual defense obligations."

US Ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim clarified the earlier assurances on Friday, telling reporters that US security guarantees apply to potential acts of aggression by the Chinese maritime militia.

It is unclear exactly what type of incident might trigger US defense obligations.
                Source

So it seems the west philipine sea is included now.

Duterte then is questioning American commitments here. This is a FUD operation against american allies in the region.

Philipines according to Duterte does not trust the US, why should the other US allies do so then ?

This joker is batting for China.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 06 Jul 19,, 20:49.

Comment

• Duterte is lying. This idiot threatened a war with Canada over garbage. Figures he would say this
                  Lying about what? Did you bothered to watch the video? Duterte simply complained that he is being pressured to be used as a BAIT by the United States to join a hostile alliance that would create conflict against China in the SCS. what is wrong with NOT wanting to be part of this sinister plot? You called him an Idiot, but he is the opposite of that because he doesn't let his country to be a PAWN in this game of great power rivalry. I will repeat this for hundredth time, the Philippines does NOT want to take part in this plot to start a war against China. Such a scenario will result to the deaths of Millions of Filipinos, NOT American, NOT Indian, but FILIPINO lives will be at stake! But this is exactly what you want. Sacrifice the Philippines for the sake of India and America. Now if it was your hometown that will get nuked then by all means go ahead and provoke China to the point of war. I do not hate India or America. But keep the Philippines out of your rivalry with China. Also, an Idiot is a person who is easily fooled, someone who will willingly go with the flow without realizing that he is being manipulated by others to do their bidding. Clearly Duterte does not exhibit such a behaviour. America can fvck off :)

Comment

• India and America will fight China till the last Filipino stands his ground.
                    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Losing one island cost Japan a war. That's a warning for the South China Sea

Hong Kong (CNN)In early July 1944, on a tiny island in the Pacific Ocean, the United States clinched a devastating defeat over Japan in one of the bloodiest battles of World War II.

Some 29,000 Japanese troops, almost the entire force Tokyo put on Saipan, in the Northern Marianas, were killed. US losses totaled almost 3,000 dead and more than 10,000 wounded.

It was a pivotal moment in the war.

Soon after the Battle of Saipan, the US took the nearby islands of Tinian and Guam. On all three islands, the US built runways to accommodate heavy B-29 bombers, the biggest bombers in World War II.

Within months, those B-29s had burned vast swathes of Tokyo and pounded factories supporting the Japanese war machine.

At one point, the US airfield on Tinian -- just 5 miles (9 kilometers) from Saipan -- was the largest airport in the world, with six runways accommodating almost 270 B-29s.

As the US thrived on these islands, Japan crumbled.

In August 1945, B-29s flying from Tinian dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, spurring Japan's surrender.

When considering current tensions in the South China Sea, where China has built airstrips, the Battle of Saipan offers important lessons that should not be ignored.

The South China Sea
                      Controversy has been building for years over the South China Sea -- essentially, 1.3 million square miles of international or contested waters and islands.

China has been building runways and military facilities on reclaimed shoals and sandbars there to reinforce its territorial claims in the sea, something the US says endangers free passage.

These facilities also give China a greater strike range by allowing it to deploy aircraft from previously unoccupied territory.

"Chinese long-range bombers if staging through the islands is certainly an issue," says Peter Layton, a military analyst at Australia's Griffith Asia Institute. "That would allow air-launched cruise missile strikes into northern Australia airfields and ports, (placing) any USAF bombers and tankers deployed there at risk."

That means places such as RAAF Base Tindal, near Darwin in northern Australia, must now be defended against a "sophisticated threat," says Layton.

"This is a major change," he adds, noting that such bases used to be thought of as "sanctuaries well outside Chinese strike range."

Underscoring the seriousness of the matter, a 2018 report from the RAND Corp. think tank recommended joint US-Australia air defense exercises as a deterrent against any possible action from China.

US and Australian forces regularly train together in Darwin, and as recently as May US and Royal Australian Airforce (RAAF) pilots took part in a bilateral training exercise off Australia's Northern Territory.

An extra 1,000 miles of range
                      Carl Schuster, a former US Navy captain and instructor at Hawaii Pacific University, says that having runways in the South China Sea effectively adds more than 1,000 miles to the range of China's biggest bombers, the H-6K.

Those aircraft can be armed with long-range cruise missiles, which allow the bombers to stay out of the reach of anti-aircraft defenses.

Schuster makes another point -- one that didn't necessarily apply in the case of Saipan, but certainly looms large 75 years later. While in 1944, the US had one specific enemy in this region -- Japan -- in 2019, China seeks to exert influence over a range of countries.

"By controlling the South China Sea, China can project its air and sea power to the Pacific Ocean's western entry points, Malacca, Sundra and Lombok Straits," Schuster says.

The means China can "ensure entry and exit of its maritime forces and commerce to and from the Indian Ocean, through which 45% of China's exports and 60% of raw material imports must pass," he adds.

The influence of those runways and military facilities also pushes northwards.

"That control also extends China's defensive buffer to the southeast by nearly 600 miles, (and) all but ensures leverage against Japan and Taiwan, since those waters are critical to those countries' economies," Schuster says.

China says the runways and military assets it has installed in the South China Sea are for defense purposes only, to protect what it claims is its sovereign territory.

Last weekend. China tested an anti-ship missile near the Spratly Islands, in the southern reaches of these waters, and in June it sent J-10 fighters to a deployment on Woody Island in the Paracels.

"The Chinese People's Liberation Army needs to deploy fighter jets at military airports to protect the territorial airspace and sea," state-sanctioned Global Times quoted Chinese air defense expert Fu Qianshao as saying.

Schuster said the deployment of those fighter jets sent a much broader message.

"It ... makes a statement that they can extend their air power reach over the South China Sea as required or desired," he said.

Supply chains
                      While small islands can help a country project power with aircraft and missiles, they also offer a more mundane but vital advantage for any military -- something Saipan gave the Americans in World War II: a place to shorten the supply chain and stage ground forces.

Saipan, for example, became a vital way to support US operations on islands closer to the Japanese mainland, such as Okinawa, making those campaigns easier to sustain. In the South China Sea, island facilities could give PLA ships safe harbors where they can rest and replenish without going back to bases on the Chinese mainland.

The Chinese-controlled artificial island of Mischief reef in the South China Sea, as seen by CNN from a US reconnaissance plane on August 10, with a runway and area for ships to anchor.

While no one is contending that any conflict -- let alone one on the scale of World War II -- is an imminent risk in the South China Sea, China's islands would give it a distinct advantage in the event of war.

And, as Japan failed to recover from the losses sustained on Saipan in 1944, some wonder if it's too late for the US and its allies and partners in Asia to reverse the gains China has made by constructing the islands.

They "allow China to dominate the central ASEAN region," Layton said.

"No regional nation ... can realistically counter the threat the islands now pose."
                      Philippines should be the staging ground for an all out attack on those islands. What is your opinion Pnoy?

Comment

Lying about what?
                        Lying that China will start a war. If they do that then the US will step in.

Did you bothered to watch the video? Duterte simply complained that he is being pressured to be used as a BAIT by the United States to join a hostile alliance that would create conflict against China in the SCS. what is wrong with NOT wanting to be part of this sinister plot?
                        Yes i did "bothered" to watch the video and the link which is a newspaper account of what he said. There is no bait or sinister plot in defending your own turf.

Hostile alliance is the same one you have been with for half a century. Why it became hostile now.

China is the one doing the baiting here, Duterte is not biting. Why is that. He wants to let this one pass. But if you allow them to fish in your EEZ then it is no longer exclusive. Others can come fish too. What will you do then. How do you walk this back ?

You called him an Idiot, but he is the opposite of that because he doesn't let his country to be a PAWN in this game of great power rivalry.
                        Who threatens war over garbage ? is there a stronger term i should employ to describe your leader for such behaviour. Or do we do the smart thing and be selective in interpreting what he said.

He is trying to get more out of the US. Your comments would be in line with that goal. Shake down.

I will repeat this for hundredth time, the Philippines does NOT want to take part in this plot to start a war against China. Such a scenario will result to the deaths of Millions of Filipinos, NOT American, NOT Indian, but FILIPINO lives will be at stake!
                        Nobody is going to start a war with China. China is using militias to exploit grey zone vulnerabilities. Their tactics are under the normal threshold and they keep doing that to soften up neighbours.

My people stared them down in Doklam back in 2017 and preserved the status quo. We resisted China's attempts to change that status quo. That is what you have to do. Preserve what you have.

But this is exactly what you want. Sacrifice the Philippines for the sake of India and America. Now if it was your hometown that will get nuked then by all means go ahead and provoke China to the point of war. I do not hate India or America. But keep the Philippines out of your rivalry with China. Also, an Idiot is a person who is easily fooled, someone who will willingly go with the flow without realizing that he is being manipulated by others to do their bidding. Clearly Duterte does not exhibit such a behaviour. America can fvck off :)
                        This is fear talking. Just kick them in the shins.
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Jul 19,, 07:45.

Comment

Duterte has spoken. If the US really wanted to provoke a war against China, do it themselves.
                          Drop the act. The PH will not be in any war against China. Not because Duterte said so but because she can't do squat. The US neither needs nor wants a useless PH military getting in the way of a proper military operation.

You're just pretending the PH is far more important than it really is. The simple fact that a few Chinese AK47s can scare off PH LEO speaks volumes about just how useless the PH military is.
                          Chimo

Comment

• Lying that China will start a war. If they do that then the US will step in.
                            Yes the US will step in, but by that time Millions of Filipinos have already been dead. Is that what you want? keep dreaming! Like what i said, if it was a million American or Indian dead then go ahead and start your war. You are very excited to see a war happening just because it is not your home that will be caught in the crossfire.

There is no bait or sinister plot in defending your own turf.
                            YES there IS! There is pressure in the Philippine government to escalate the situation surrounding the boat sinking incident. Duterte is trying to De-escalate it. while warmongers including you are calling for the Philippines to respond in a way that will escalate the situation. So what do you call this?? Is this not Baiting?? You have been unmasked as an agitator. Go open your own front against China in India's borders. Like Duterte said, do not drag the Philippines into your personal war against China.

But if you allow them to fish in your EEZ then it is no longer exclusive. Others can come fish too. What will you do then. How do you walk this back ?
                            You are talking as if other countries are not illegally fishing in Philippine EEZ. The Problem is that only China seems to be getting the spotlight, then in this case, the issue becomes political in nature, if you are going to condemn China for illegally fishing in PH EEZ, then condemn others too like Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Taiwan, etc. However, Duterte understands this, foreigners like you are pretending to be concerned for PH EEZ, but in reality all you are after is for the PH to adopt a hostile policy against China, effectively making the Philippines a pawn in your plans to start a conflict against your rival.

Who threatens war over garbage ?
                            You are quite funny, you call him a liar for warning people of war if the conflict in the scs escalates, yet you BELIEVE him when he says he will start a war against China over a garbage issue? LOL!!

He is trying to get more out of the US.
                            This is a smart thing to do. The United States has benefited a lot from its decades alliance with the PH, on the other hand, the PH didn't get the equal amount of benefits. its Time for the US to pay up all they owe to the PH.

My people stared them down in Doklam back in 2017 and preserved the status quo.
                            India is a Strong country. It has nukes, it has big and well equipped army. the PH on the other hand, is nowhere that powerful. It is like wondering why an adult can lift a heavy log while a 2 year old cant. There is a huge disparity between the military capacity of both countries.

Just kick them in the shins.
                            This is the problem. You are baiting the Philippines to do your dirty work. Why dont YOU kick them in the shins? Let's see how the events will unfold. :)

The US neither needs nor wants a useless PH military getting in the way of a proper military operation.
                            Then drop the pathetic attempts to pressure the Philippine government to adopt a hostile policy against China in the region. Did you think I am just making false accusations here? A former Philippine diplomat and agitator in chief has held a meeting with US diplomats a couple of months ago, he is also one of the few ex government officials who are calling for a strong anti China policies. What are you going to argue that there is nothing wrong with meeting US diplomats? Well, lets reverse the situation, lets say Trump met with Putin and then afterwards asked congress to lift all anti Russian sanctions in place? I bet there won't be any suspicion about their meeting :)

Comment

• We should bomb Philippines and be done with it. Since we're warmongers, there shouldn't be any qualms over it. Spratly islands come next. Then Scarborough Shoal. The list continues.

Comment

Then drop the pathetic attempts to pressure the Philippine government to adopt a hostile policy against China in the region. Did you think I am just making false accusations here? A former Philippine diplomat and agitator in chief has held a meeting with US diplomats a couple of months ago, he is also one of the few ex government officials who are calling for a strong anti China policies. What are you going to argue that there is nothing wrong with meeting US diplomats? Well, lets reverse the situation, lets say Trump met with Putin and then afterwards asked congress to lift all anti Russian sanctions in place? I bet there won't be any suspicion about their meeting :)
                                Let me get this straight, A FORMER diplomat PUSHING FOR STRONG ANTI-CHINESE ACTIONS met with US diplomat and you think that means the US is pushing for anti-China actions?

ON WHAT FREAKING PLANET?

The guy, couldn't be what, looking for a job?
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X