No announcement yet.

Chinese actions in the South China Seas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is this guy giving away PH's rights. On what authority ? his whims or people of PH cause i'm not seeing any involvement by the latter
    Duterte is NOT giving away parts of the Philippines, he is simply reluctant to escalate the conflict over Disputed territories. The Philippines is NOT taking part in your little games. Go send your own Indian navy fleet to the SCS and sink PLAN vessels if you’re really trigger happy for a full blown war. The Philippines will never take part in any of it while Duterte is in charge.

China is not going to start a war with PH over these islands so why then is he misleading his people.
    Yes they will and Duterte is smart enough to avoid Filipinos getting slaughtered just because an Indian or American is trigger happy to start a war against China in expense of millions of innocent Filipino lives.

NB: i'm still waiting for your intro !
    BS. Stop your obsession about where I live or what I do LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Pnoy View Post
      Duterte is NOT giving away parts of the Philippines, he is simply reluctant to escalate the conflict over Disputed territories.
      How do you know ? were you present when this "verbal agreement" was made ?

Nothing in writing yet he makes statements when the rest of the lawmakers are in the dark.

This lack of transparency is very familiar to any one watching China's moves in the region.

The Philippines is NOT taking part in your little games.
      Who is playing games here. Who is sinking your boats. Who is pushing you around.

Go send your own Indian navy fleet to the SCS and sink PLAN vessels if you’re really trigger happy for a full blown war. The Philippines will never take part in any of it while Duterte is in charge.
      We watch our region, what are you doing ? this people want to know

Yes they will and Duterte is smart enough to avoid Filipinos getting slaughtered just because an Indian or American is trigger happy to start a war against China in expense of millions of innocent Filipino lives.
      What makes you so sure ?

From what i've seen if you stick to your guns they back down. They only respect strength.

BS. Stop your obsession about where I live or what I do LOL
      If you plan to stick around you will have to make a proper intro. We don't like interacting with bots.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 02 Jul 19,, 06:34.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        ^ This clown has all the authoritarian traits like his Chinese friends. I think Beijing has bought him, corrupt that is, and he's playing to Xi's looney tunes.
        What surprises me is for a country of 100+ million the level of FDI is pretty low. The Japs have only half a billion in PH

China is rumoured to be bringing in $2bn

Makes you wonder about PH laws and how investor friendly they are.

With all these east asian tigers you'd think PH would be further along than it is.

As of 2018, GDP of PH at $330 bn is less than Singapore or HK, Pakistan is next in the list at $313bn and the Banglas catching up at $287bn

Thailand is at $487bn, Indonesia much further along at $1.02T
        Last edited by Double Edge; 02 Jul 19,, 06:51.

Comment

• How do you know ?
          You are not even Filipino and you act as if you know more than me? For instance, the Island of Palawan is still under Philippine sovereignty. the Spratlys islets in the SCS are disputed territories, even the US doesn't recognize them as part of the Philippines, otherwise Chinese incursions would have activated the mutual defense treaty with the US, which is pretty much useless since the Americans are reluctant to observe their own part of the deal in the first place for not officially recognizing islets in the SCS as official Philippine territory.

Who is playing games here. Who is sinking your boats. Who is pushing you around.
          People like you and other foreign warmongers are pushing for the Philippines to escalate the boat incident to make relations between PH and CN become hostile. You still dont understand dont you? Duterte doesn't want to make the incident spiral down any further. Don't you get that?? Its like when Pakistan shot down your planes, did India escalated the incident or talked to Pakistan to De-escalate the situation? PH is enjoying great economic benefits from its friendly relations with China. But of course pessimists like you will always find an argument to downplay this positive development.

What makes you so sure ?
          What makes you so sure they will not? Our opinions doesn't matter anyway. what is important is that the Philippines will NOT engage in any conflict with China to please you or others who wants to use the Philippines as a tool to fight China on their behalf.

If you plan to stick around you will have to make a proper intro.
          I already made a proper intro, it is actually long compared to the average introductions made by other users. Are you one of those creeps who likes to stalk people on Facebook? trying to find out their work, location, etc? Isn't forums meant to let people share their opinions while remaining anonymous? Otherwise perhaps we should be using our real names as our username and require people to present a valid ID when registering for an account.

With all these east asian tigers you'd think PH would be further along than it is.
          This is what the Philippines get for being an American ally for 75+ years. The US helped Japan and South Korea to become economically strong, on the other hand, completely neglected the Philippines despite being an ally for a far longer time.

Comment

You are not even Filipino and you act as if you know more than me?
            Unless you introduce yourself we don't know who you are : )

Until you do so i will phrase my replies as if you are not from the PH

For instance, the Island of Palawan is still under Philippine sovereignty. the Spratlys islets in the SCS are disputed territories, even the US doesn't recognize them as part of the Philippines, otherwise Chinese incursions would have activated the mutual defense treaty with the US, which is pretty much useless since the Americans are reluctant to observe their own part of the deal in the first place for not officially recognizing islets in the SCS as official Philippine territory.
            US does not take a position on disputed territories. Otherwise there will be no end to it. Their side of the deal only kicks in when you are threatened. Bolton has shown he is up for it.

People like you and other foreign warmongers are pushing for the Philippines to escalate the boat incident to make relations between PH and CN become hostile. You still dont understand dont you? Duterte doesn't want to make the incident spiral down any further. Don't you get that??
            I am quoting what PH press says and what PH constitution says. Right now.

What makes you so sure they will not? Our opinions doesn't matter anyway. what is important is that the Philippines will NOT engage in any conflict with China to please you or others who wants to use the Philippines as a tool to fight China on their behalf.
            Not for me to prove negatives. For you to back up your assertions. You believe Duterte when he says China will start a war. WHY ?

What i find very weird is China kicks PH around and when people question Duterte's policies you blame those people for being war mongers. You have things back to front.

I already made a proper intro, it is actually long compared to the average introductions made by other users. Are you one of those creeps who likes to stalk people on Facebook? trying to find out their work, location, etc? Isn't forums meant to let people share their opinions while remaining anonymous? Otherwise perhaps we should be using our real names as our username and require people to present a valid ID when registering for an account.
            No, you have not, there is some waffle but nothing more.

We don't know what your nationality is and where you are located. All have a bearing on what are saying here and your arrival time was curious too, just when Duterte gets into trouble. Co-incidence ?

This is what the Philippines get for being an American ally for 75+ years. The US helped Japan and South Korea to become economically strong, on the other hand, completely neglected the Philippines despite being an ally for a far longer time.
            What are PH investment policies like ?

US nuked Japan, as a result of the Korean war the country got partitioned and was wasted. Would you say PH was in the same state after WW2 ?

SK in 1960 was poorer than Pakistan, hard to believe these days.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 02 Jul 19,, 13:58.

Comment

• Pnoy, complaining on the introduction thread does not make for a good introduction. Everybody introduces themselves here. It's not an exception. It's not about stalking. No one is asking you to post your girlfriend's nudes here. When posters request you for an introduction nicely, it's considered good manners to oblige and comply. You can check how new members have introduced themselves over here, and introduce yourself. A smart introduction without revealing too much is what we look for in here. Where are you from? What you do? Maybe your education. What shapes your opinions? Etcetera.

Jumping to debate in threads is a strict no-no without a proper introduction.
              Last edited by Oracle; 02 Jul 19,, 15:29.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Until you do so i will phrase my replies as if you are not from the PH
                I already spoke some Tagalog words before but apparently they got deleted, is it a deliberate attempt to hide my proof as being an authentic pinoy? Gusto mo tagalugin pa ulet kita?

US does not take a position on disputed territories.
                Mattis: US will defend Japanese islands claimed by China
                https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/asia/...sit/index.html

I am starting to get nauseated by your constant attempt to lie. At least have the dignity to speak honestly.

I am quoting what PH press says
                PH private media loves to squeal out load and blow incidents out of proportion for increased publicity and profit, they learn from the best leaders of fake news media like CNN etc.

You believe Duterte when he says China will start a war. WHY ?
                We all know the true nature of your ‘Inquiry’. you disguise your question as some kind of innocent interest, but in reality your true purpose is to produce an Inflammatory response to the current boat incident between PH and China. Let me clear things out for you. Your inflammatory Bait question will never accomplish its goals. There will be no escalation of conflict between PH and China. It will stay that way for as long as Duterte is in power. If you and the west disapprove of this, then Assassinate Duterte. But such action will expose the real evil nature of warmongerers like America so this will back fire on them Big time.

We don't know what your nationality is and where you are located. All have a bearing on what are saying here and your arrival time was curious too, just when Duterte gets into trouble
                I already stated that I am a Pinoy. My location however is none of anyone’s business. Besides, if you pay enough attention, you’d already have an idea where BC is.

About Duterte, he is always caught in trouble because of his unfiltered remarks about almost anything. His name and reputation has been under attack before he even ran for president. But his charismatic personality made him very popular among the average voters and so he was able to win the presidency without any significant competition.

What are PH investment policies like ?
                PH economy would have been a great success if it wasn’t for American meddling and back stabbing and withholding of compensation funds that they owe to the Filipino people.

Comment

Its BC as in British Columbia. I am among the thousands of new Pinoy immigrants to Canada ����. It is my wish that the Canadian government gives Filipinos more opportunities to immigrate and settle in Canada and at the same time give us special preferences in the allocation of jobs. As compensation for the tons of garbage Canada attempted to dump to the Philippines, it is only lawful that Canada accept more immigrants from the Philippines than other countries in Asia. Salamat po
                  India was ruled in different times by the Greeks, Turks, British, French, Portuguese etc. So those countries should grant Indians the right to immigrate and settle in their land, special preferences in terms of jobs, and trillions of US dollars as compensation?

I've noticed that you've used this argument many times here and asked for billions of dollars in compensation from the United States. I am fcuking sick of this entitlement mentality that drives people from 3rd world countries. You're already in Canada, you can't find a job? Are you crippled? You will not be getting any fcuking special treatment in here.

Btw, do you know montgomery, he's also from British Columbia. He's also anti-war, anti-US.
                  Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• You will not be getting any fcuking special treatment in here.
                    Please do not misunderstand my statement. Calling America Cheap and a back stabbing ally does not mean that I am anti American. I know a couple of American friends and i would say they are among the best people in the world. The main target of my criticism is the US government who makes all the decision making and national policies.

With that aside, i remain committed to demand the Canadian government as well as a Democratic party controlled United States to open up their borders for more hard working Filipino immigrants. Both countries have enough resources and living space to accommodate a few million Filipinos that will help contribute to the prosperity of these two countries.

What is your problem with giving us new immigrants some degree of special treatment? Can you stop being a cruel person? Immigrants are human beings too. We are not animals. Stop being racist. It is the responsibility of the Canadian government to provide for new comers to make us feel welcomed and well served.

Comment

Please do not misunderstand my statement. Calling America Cheap and a back stabbing ally does not mean that I am anti American. I know a couple of American friends and i would say they are among the best people in the world. The main target of my criticism is the US government who makes all the decision making and national policies.

With that aside, i remain committed to demand the Canadian government as well as a Democratic party controlled United States to open up their borders for more hard working Filipino immigrants. Both countries have enough resources and living space to accommodate a few million Filipinos that will help contribute to the prosperity of these two countries.
                      I know very well what you mean. This is not the place to ask for asylum. Nor the place to beg money.

What is your problem with giving us new immigrants some degree of special treatment? Can you stop being a cruel person? Immigrants are human beings too. We are not animals. Stop being racist. It is the responsibility of the Canadian government to provide for new comers to make us feel welcomed and well served.
                      So, victim mentality has kicked in. You will not last in here.

Comment

Feeling pretty god damn special aren't we. Throwing racist out at people who don't see it your way. Warmonger. Creep.

It is the responsibility of Canada to take care of us. I demand special treatment. Now!

You can just stuff it where the sun don't shine.

Paalam, Adios, Sayounara, Auf Wiedersehen, Au revoir, Vaarwel, Goodbye...

Comment

• ^ I've said nothing racist. My views are pro-immigration to help certain sectors of a country's economy. I've argued for immigration in American Political thread and for Bangladeshis who jump the fence to get inside India. But I am very much against entitlement, in India, and around the world. No one should think he/she is special. Everybody needs to work to earn money. Nobody deserves any preferential treatment.

I am stating this on record for people who read WAB from the sidelines. You tbm3fan OTOH, already know that.
                          Last edited by Oracle; 03 Jul 19,, 16:29.

Comment

• Right, a study of PH - US defense ties is required here

Originally posted by Pnoy View Post
                            Mattis: US will defend Japanese islands claimed by China
                            https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/asia/...sit/index.html

I am starting to get nauseated by your constant attempt to lie. At least have the dignity to speak honestly.
                            Ok, it turns out that the US recognises those japanese administered islands as falling within the us - japan defense treaty. Well, so what about disputed islands for PH. Turns out they do not and a re-negotiation is required.

Why the Philippines wants to review the mutual defence treaty with the United States | ORF | Feb 06 2019

The Defence Secretary had mentioned, given the ambivalent stand of the United States with respect to the Philippines’ claim in the West Philippine Sea (as referred to by the Philippines), “the government had three options after the review: Maintain it, strengthen it, or scrap it.” The main premise of the MDT is “that the Philippines and the U.S. would assist each other when either of them is attacked by a foreign force.”
                            Why ambivalence ? due to earlier PH actions. asking the americans to vacate does not exactly engender bonhomie. So the Chinese push in 1995 & 2012

The Philippines desire is now for a stronger MDT, or to upgrade the MDT whereby the Kalayaan Island Group (island chain claimed by the Philippines in the South China Sea) and the Scarborough Shoal falls within the gambit of the Treaty.
                            But there are challenges with such a re-negotiation

[OPINION] Proposed review of PH-US Mutual Defense Treaty: Opening a Pandora's box | Rappler | Dec 31 2018

This is a good primer on present PH - US defense relations

On the Philippine side, the grievances against the MDT would be on the wording of the triggers for US involvement in hostilities in this side of the world. The debate is focused on what “Pacific” refers to. Does it mean the Pacific Ocean or the Pacific area of operations which encompasses everything west of the US West Coast up to the Indian Ocean?
                            However, it appears that the Philippines is adamant about wanting a more specific geographical area that should include its territories in the West Philippine Sea. That would be a problem as since the 1970s, the US has maintained a position of not taking sides in the territorial disputes. Its approach to the disputes is that of pushing for freedom of navigation instead. Post-World War 2, the US has frequently used deadly force to allow freedom of navigation in areas from the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Sidra and in anti-piracy operations. Hence, the US position on freedom of navigation should not be taken as an empty threat.
                            Another Filipino grievance is the lack of an instant retaliatory clause in the treaty and the existing requirement to go through constitutional processes. The Philippine side wants the US side to be more decisive and interprets the constitutional process as the American side needing to consult with their Congress before any action is taken. The fact that executive decisions alone can be done to deploy US forces in conflict situations is not deemed acceptable by the Philippines. An example of executive decision is ironically the case of President George H.W. Bush’s order for US fighter jets to undertake persuasion flights against RAM rebels in 1989.

However, for the Philippine side to fully enjoy that privilege of automatic response from the United States, there would then be the need for American forces based in Philippine territory. Since the Philippines kicked out the bases in 1991, it then, by its very action, ensured that there will be no automatic reaction as tripwire American forces were removed from the country. In fact, the Chinese noticed that and in a few years began to move aggressively in the South China Sea against the Philippines. It may be said that the Philippine decision to remove the US bases in 1991 was the primary enabler for Chinese strategic moves into the South China Sea.
                            It then appears that the Philippines lives in the memory of the Cold War as it cannot seem to get out of its dependence on lavish freebies from the United States. As such, even the Philippine defense budget still retains its characteristic of American dependence wherein the US provided almost everything while salaries, pensions, and limited upkeep and maintenance were shouldered by the Philippine government. When the bases were removed and the American largesse was substantially lost, the Philippines, due to constitutional restrictions and fiscal limitations, failed to readjust the defense budget to meet the needs of external and internal defense. Unsurprisingly, by the late 1990s, the Philippines then fell back on seeking financial and materiel assistance from the US.
                            Due mainly to the moral bankruptcy of the Philippine elite, the country is mired in protracted insurgencies. Since the Philippine government cannot even get its act together to keep the country in one piece, it becomes necessary for the United States to also tailor fit its military assistance to the internal operational requirements of the Philippine defense sector.
                            Not good

The Duterte administration is as divided as the Philippines itself and many within have overtly displayed a pro-China sentiment from the President way down to some Cabinet secretaries and their underlings. That is the same as well in both the Philippine Senate and House of Representatives. Beijing would be foolish not to tap into this ready pool of sympathizers to disrupt the renegotiation of the MDT.

A veritable Pandora’s box of nasty surprises would be opened once the Philippines pushes for renegotiations.

The objective of Beijing is to at least force a deadlock in Philippine and US negotiations that would spill over to a suspension of bilateral military activities.

If such a thing happens, is that what the Philippine government wants? Is that what the hard-pressed and overextended Philippine military wants? Is that what the majority of Filipinos want?
                            American views on PH aren't that glowing either

US perceptions on the Philippines as a treaty ally are split. There is an emerging sentiment that the Filipinos are not worth the trouble and it might be a good idea to even scrap the MDT. This is countered by others who still view the Philippines as a piece of valuable real estate given its strategic location and hence, it would be advisable to continue the relationship regardless of Filipino behavior. These divergent perspectives are a product of how the Philippines has conducted itself as an ally in the past 30 years.

From the American perspective, the Philippine side has committed several actions that undermined the alliance.

The first of course was the Senate rejection of the extension of the Military Bases Agreement in 1991. This put the Philippines in the doghouse when it came to military assistance.

The second was the sudden pullout of the Philippine contingent in Iraq and the cozying up to China during the Arroyo administration.

Third are the current antics of the Duterte administration and the enabling by the Philippine government of both Chinese and Russian presence in the Philippines and the region. Also the Duterte administration has displayed erratic and disruptive behavior regarding the alliance and Philippine participation in multilateral and bilateral military exercises sponsored by the US.

Hence the image of a stonewalling and an undependable Philippines from the American perspective should not come as a surprise. That perception may be hammered down on the Filipino delegation by their American counterparts. The Philippine side must be very clear, rational, and logical as to what it wants. Again, one must take into consideration the mercurial nature of Trump who is quick to tweet his foreign policy direction of the day.

An unflattering description of the Philippines from an American perspective is that it appears to be getting out of its obligations as a mutual defense partner of the United States while at the same time trying to drag the US into its own security problems, from international to even domestic.
                            Easy pickings here for China unless these two sort out their act : (

This in a way is reflective of the yearning of smaller countries in this region for a more proactive role to be played that caters to their interests by the Big powers like the US. This yearning presents both challenges and opportunities for the Big Powers.

Even countries like the US in the current times despite the ongoing trade war with China is delicately balancing its relations with Beijing. So to claim outright that it will take the side of its treaty ally during a clash with its very crucial trading partner puts the US in a tough spot.

The Scarborough Shoal 2012 standoff had also put the Asia Pivot policy of the Obama administration under test and many had questioned the genuineness of the policy when the US maintained a neutral stand in the standoff.

Philippines’ wish for a stronger MDT has again put the US in a difficult situation. The US-Philippines 2014 Enhanced Defence Co-operation Agreement (EDCA) also depends on the MDT. That agreement allows the US to construct facilities and pre-position and store defence equipment, supplies and material within Philippine military bases and to deploy troops on a rotational basis there.

Given the Philippines’ change in attitude towards China and its new hedging strategy, according to Poling and Sayers, “continuance of the treaty and the EDCA is critical to US interests in the region, not necessarily to those of the Philippines whose relations with China may suffer.”
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 03 Jul 19,, 08:09.

Comment

• Duterte and the PH are the biggest minnows in their little pond. They have zero effect with their neighbours and world wide. Guys like Pinoy and whine and moan all they want, they're not going to get the big powers to do what they want. Fillipinos are not even a voting block in Canada. They ain't getting special treatment and the fact that no freighters are shipping garbage back to Canada speaks volumes on how Canada thinks about Duterte's mouth.

If Pinoy wants more Fillipinos in Canada, then he better start petitioning to Trudeau about Fillipno lady boys being exploited by sex rings and that they need to be in Canada living under Canadian welfare to recover from their trauma.

Allowing Chinese fishing boats in Fillipino waters is a joke, especially when being escourted by militia. The militia alone says PH has zero rights enforcing catch limits but then again, PH has zero clue on fishery management.

In the strategic sense, the PH was needed and note I state WAS needed to protect American LOCs against Soviet naval might. The Soviets are gone and the Chinese are not a Soviet replacement. THERE IS NO THREAT to American LOCs. Clark and Subic Bay have lost their strategic importance and not worth the $1.6bil per year PH was asking. In the current strategic atmosphere, the front line states, Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan are far more important and far more capable of bottling the China Navy up. Australia is the checking force, not the PH, in the SCS.

Duterte may be a big fish in the PH but he's nothing more than a big mouth in the international arena and he's treated as such. No one takes him seriosuly. When the big powers tells him to shut up. He cowers like a little boy. Case in point. Xi. I don't care what kind of spin Duterte is putting in PH, the world sees it as Xi telling Duterte to shove it and that's exactly what it is.
                              Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 03 Jul 19,, 17:21.
                              Chimo

Comment

• I thought ladyboys are a Thai thing. I once saw a picture, ohhhh.......sent shivers down my body. Why do these girls do that, the sex change operation? Looks very creepy.

Comment

Working...
                                X