Thread: Muscovite Hybrid War on the West

Senior Contributor

Muscovite Hybrid War on the West

I suppose some might call it 'Cold War #2' though of course for Ukraine it fought with live rounds daily and increasingly takes on a new dimension in the Sea of Azov.

We have had alot of these threads before... I remember arguing in this forum (and elsewhere) that old Cold War, although it was a great victory, was not the end of the war - though at there were times when perhaps it could have been ended. All the Georgian War threads - the strategic control of the oil and gas pipelines (in Europe and the Middle East), the global discussion Muscovite motives, the nature of the regime, the Ukrainian war, the strategic importance of Belarus and the Suwałki corridor Moscow's moves into Syria after Obama flunked his 'red line', the Mueller Investigation into the Muscovite help for Trumpkin in the last US election - and the Brexit vote as well financing other authoritarian European Governments and parties from the Paks2 deal in Hungary to funding the Front National in France. Most recently the Skripals case of course which the GRU seriously bungled.

Well today the UK came out and called it and blamed the GRU for a host of cyber attacks. The Foreign Secretary, Jeremy Hunt said:

“These cyber attacks serve no legitimate national security interest, instead impacting the ability of people around the world to go about their daily lives free from interference, and even their ability to enjoy sport.

“The GRU’s actions are reckless and indiscriminate: they try to undermine and interfere in elections in other countries; they are even prepared to damage Russian companies and Russian citizens. This pattern of behaviour demonstrates their desire to operate without regard to international law or established norms and to do so with a feeling of impunity and without consequences.

“Our message is clear: together with our allies, we will expose and respond to the GRU’s attempts to undermine international stability.”
    I am glad that the UK and some others in Europe (the Dutch; https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...y-intelligence) finally have the balls to call a pig a pig.

Long overdue in my view but in general there were three waves (or perhaps four) 'waves' of people who warned before the threat took on the dimensions which it threatens today. The first were the old Soviet dissidents themselves - people like Bukovsky but they were followed by a new wave of dissidents - the Berezovsky's, Litvinenko's... Khodorkovsky got the gulag for a while but was released as part of the group, then after 2008 and the Georgian War (at which time I became convinced following as it did the 2007 Estonian mass cyber attack) those countries which were liberated by the first Cold War started warning that a new Muscovite Checkist Mafia threat was arising. Still nobody really listened. Finally there are the majority who have recognised the threat since the start of the war in Ukraine and all that has happened since.

Now at long last HMG says it openly and identifies the whole campaign that is being waged against the western democracies openly.

Again I sent this today:

The report he mentions you can find here in pdf: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/64419...c0b30c5873.pdf

I have always agreed with Bukovsky's argument myself: Suppose in 1945 the allies defeated Germany but left the Gestapo in place? That is what was done when the Cold War was 'won'; the Secret Police network was left in place - nobody got prosecuted or jailed for the millions they murdered, and within 9yrs of them was President again. Now they want a new USSR maybe.

None of this means a 'great war' is inevitable - only death and taxes are inevitable they say. They are not half so strong as the old USSR thanks to the victory of the 1990s upto 2014. Nor honestly can they hope to win any sustained conventional war which why they flout their nuclear weapons so often. Nor honestly is the regime as strong as it seems - despite all the murders and jailings of it's own citizens. Hell four years they said they were going to be in Kyiv in "two weeks" - reminiscent of Hitler speech that 'In three weeks England will have her neck wrung like a chicken.' Ukraine can now take the offensive apart from in the naval sphere - and here kudo's to the UK again for sending a Naval Attache to Ukraine recently.

Most importantly the democracies have not yet even tried launching a combined 'truth counteroffensive' into Muscovy. Sure maybe it is not all about radio stations anymore as it used to be - it is all media and much of it that which we call 'social media'. But when attacked in this way - and in cyber etc - is it not time that the West not only defend itself - maybe such in things like 'Stopfake' (https://www.stopfake.org/en/news/) but also hitting back? This UK Government statement is perhaps a start but it will take a lot more.

Senior Contributor
    The smoke stack know as Kuznetzov appears to have had some set backs during it's latest repairs: http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...amaged-carrier

Senior Contributor
    Name:  Drp8AjnW4AIYCrR.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  126.3 KB

Seems "Putin's chef" has been researching military recipes with some friends in Tripoli, Libya... Gordon Ramsey has nothing on this guy.

Don't forget Interpol, they infiltrated there too...Russians,Russians everywhere...run for the hills.

Relax, this is a game. Business as usual.

And cartoons too

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...tics-j9wxcvslm

The way how you writing this, reminds me on our side during the 90'es, when they were calming that the West is using hybrid war technique known as neo cortical war.
    Last edited by Versus; 19 Nov 18, at 12:37.

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    The way how you writing this, reminds me on our side during the 90'es, when they were calming that the West is using hybrid war technique known as neo cortical war.
    false equivalence, the West bent over backward to integrate Russia into the community of nations post-Cold War. if the West really wanted to screw over Russia back in the 90s, Russia would be where North Korea is today. i have less of a personal hate-on for Russia than snapper here does, but rest assured one fine day when the US is no longer weighed down by the current incompetent CinC, Russia will get what it richly deserves, in full measure.

speaking of Interpol:

====

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...02b_story.html

The world can’t let Russia run Interpol. My experiences show why.

A floor with the Interpol logo at the international police agency headquarters in Lyon, France. (Laurent Cirpiani/AP)
    By William Browder November 19 at 4:13 PM

William Browder is the author of “Red Notice” and an activist who spearheaded the Global Magnitsky Act.

Early last month, the wife of Meng Hongwei, a Chinese national and the president of Interpol, reported that her husband had disappeared on a trip to China. Three days passed before the Chinese government admitted detaining him and placing him under investigation. Following that, Interpol received a notice of Meng’s resignation. Whether he wrote it or not is unknown.

Last Saturday, news began circulating that a Russian official is the front-runner to replace Meng as president of Interpol. At first, I thought this must be a joke. Russia has demonstrated some of the most criminal tendencies of any country in the world. Its agents used a military-grade chemical weapon in an attack in Salisbury in Britain. Russian missiles murdered 298 innocents on Flight MH17 over Ukraine. And the Kremlin’s operatives have interfered with elections in the United States and Europe. Russia shouldn’t even be on the list of countries that could provide a leader for Interpol.

Later this week, Interpol’s general assembly in Dubai will decide who becomes Interpol’s next president. The vote will take place on Wednesday, and the choice is between the Russian interior ministry officer Alexander Prokopchuk and Interpol’s current interim president, a South Korean named Kim Jong Yang.

No one should want to see a Russian elevated to this post, but I have a particular personal interest in seeing that it doesn’t happen.

In 2012, I succeeded in advocating for the U.S. government to pass the Magnitsky Act, named after my colleague Sergei Magnitsky, who was imprisoned by Russian authorities after exposing high-level corruption, and who died in detention after being beaten and denied medical care. This law allows the United States to freeze the assets and ban visas for Russian human rights abusers. Since then, Russian President Vladimir Putin has embarked on a vendetta against me. This has taken a number of forms, including death threats and plans for illegal renditions. But one of the most pernicious has been Moscow’s repeated attempts to misuse Interpol to try to have me arrested and extradited back to Russia, where they will likely torture and kill me.

Moscow first attempted to use Interpol to go after me in May 2013 with a request for an Interpol Red Notice. Interpol rejected this, stating that the Russian request violated Interpol’s constitution, since it was obviously politically motivated. Several months later, the Russians tried again to get a Red Notice for me — and once again, it was rejected.

After two explicit rejections, one might think Russia would give up trying to use Interpol to have me arrested. Instead, the Russians altered their tactics.

In October 2017, the Canadian Parliament unanimously passed its own version of the Magnitsky Act. In response, Putin’s government went after me using something called an Interpol “diffusion notice.” This was also an Interpol arrest warrant, but one that required far less oversight than a Red Notice.

Again, Interpol intervened, declaring it politically motivated.

Then, in May of this year, I was actually arrested in Madrid. I’d been invited there by a senior Spanish prosecutor to give evidence against Russian organized crime and money laundering taking place in Spain and connected to the Magnitsky case. I was arrested at my hotel by Spanish National Police, and released from custody only after Interpol intervened.

In reaction to the Madrid incident, Russia’s most senior law enforcement officer, Yuri Chaika, gave a news conference in Moscow, saying: “We will redouble our efforts to get Bill Browder. . . . He should not sleep peacefully at night.”

On Monday morning, the Russian government went one step further. Officials in Moscow held a news conference at which they absurdly accused me of murdering Sergei Magnitsky himself and described me as the leader of a “transnational criminal group” who needed to be apprehended.

In total, Russia has tried to use Interpol seven times to have me arrested. If there ever was a case for why Russia should not have any authority at Interpol, I am that case.

I am, however, by no means alone. Russia has sought the imprisonment of scores of people connected to Mikhail Khodor*kovsky, the former head of oil giant Yukos and an outspoken Putin critic. It is pursuing the supporters of Alexei Navalny, the Russian anti-corruption activist. Every week I get a call from a new victim of Russia’s abuse of the Interpol system.

I’m working with lawyers and other victims on an initiative to apply Interpol’s own rules to suspend Russia from using the Interpol system. Its serial abuse is well documented and undeniable. It would be an absurd and Kafkaesque scenario if — rather than Russia being suspended — one of Putin’s henchmen were to become the leader of one of the world’s most important law enforcement institutions.

Interpol plays a crucial role in tracking and apprehending fugitives around the world. To allow Interpol to be commandeered by one of the most criminal dictators on the planet serves the interests of no one but the Kremlin.

On Wednesday, all democratic and transparent nations should band together and use their influence to ensure that Interpol does not debase itself by effectively becoming an arm of the Russian mafia.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Senior Contributor
    I think the election of this Muscovite candidate would be a grave mistake for Interplod. They never had alot of credibility or confidence in the first place as an international law enforcement organisation - tell me how many war criminals they have issued Red Notices for? The recent loss of their former Executive Officer does not help. The election of a Muscovite nominated by a regime widely known to have murdered it's opponents and been complicit in war crimes would make a mockery of the organisation as a law enforcement agency. On Muscovite TV they speculating that they could arrest the whole Ukrainian Government so Ukraine for starters would leave and not comply. The UK would almost certainly do the same as it is clearly primarily aimed at Browder who is a subject of Her Majesty. Poland has said they will go as have the Baltic nations, the Finland and Romania. For the credibility of the organisation it would shooting itself in the foot.

Senior Contributor
    The Muscovite candidate to lead Interplod, General Alexander Prokopchuk, lost.

UK and Ukraine strengthen military relationship: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/joint-statement

I may be suffering from 'wishful thinking' but it seemed to me two or three weeks ago that the wind had shifted; Brexit is proved to be nigh on impossible, Trumpkin is clearly seen for the lying cretin he is, the Italian government is fracturing and in general the results of the populist 'wave' supported to faithfully by Moscow have proved to be non starters, lies and impossible promises. That is not to say that truth, decency and integrity has yet won; it has not it is almost certain that there will be setbacks to come before we can assert a 'victory' with certainty but it may be that the wind has turned.

Thread Information