How do you evacuate a base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you evacuate a base?

Looking at the updates on Hurricane Florence. The eye is forecast to come ashore between Wilmington and Camp Lejeune/Jacksonville. The coast is under a mandatory evacuation. Storm may gain strength to a Cat 5 before coming ashore.

So if needed , how do you evacuate a large base? there are over 45 thousand Marines/Sailors stationed at Lejeune. And this doesn't include family members. Storm is projected to come ashore thursday night.

Storm surge up to 24 Ft. That puts the base under water.

When stationed at Lejeune, we had a few cat 2 and 3 storms. This is a whole different ballgame.

Where do you send them? How do they get there and how do you maintain accountability. Don't even want to talk about how you get them back after a Cat 5 storm and what they come back to.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Gun Grape; 11 Sep 18,, 04:21.

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Looking at the updates on Hurricane Florence. The eye is forecast to come ashore between Wilmington and Camp Lejeune/Jacksonville. The coast is under a mandatory evacuation. Storm may gain strength to a Cat 5 before coming ashore.

So if needed , how do you evacuate a large base? there are over 45 thousand Marines/Sailors stationed at Lejeune. And this doesn't include family members. Storm is projected to come ashore thursday night.

Storm surge up to 24 Ft. That puts the base under water.

When stationed at Lejeune, we had a few cat 2 and 3 storms. This is a whole different ballgame.

Where do you send them? How do they get there and how do you maintain accountability. Don't even want to talk about how you get them back after a Cat 5 storm and what they come back to.

Anyone have any ideas?
    They'll have a detailed plan, but that is a lot of lift to get all the Marines, dependents, and workers off base and out of the area. I imagine that military personnel and families will self-evacuate (or be assisted if necessary) - you wouldn't want to split up a family at this time. Personnel without families are probably bused or trucked inland out of the path.

Aircraft that can fly are always flown to dispersal fields. Likewise for ships, anything that can move departs. This has to be tough on the families as they do get seperated. I saw the departure plan for Norfolk, each ship had a departure time, # of tugs assigned, etc.

The Navy has a website to account for everyone: service member, spouse, kids. In time of disaster - or active event as they call it - one is mandated to check in online and answer some sort of survey. I have to update my infor twice a year. Of course, I don't have the link to the website at home.....

Comment

First rule of North Carolina hurricanes. Wilmington always gets hit.

I grew up at Cherry Point. The county next door (Carteret, which also borders Camp Lejeune's county) is doing mandatory evacuation.

Comment

It looks like you don't. https://www.wnct.com/news/military/c...ion/1434974391

MCAS Beaufort and Parris Island were going to be evacuated, but that was later canceled.

Comment

1. Have designate inland bases as evacuation sites.

2. Stage Prefab materials there.

3. Activate ARNG/USMCR/USAR/USAF/USN Engineers/REDHORSE/SEABEEs to set and establish. Also activate LT/MED Truck units to haul personnel and key equipment. Contract with Bus lines for carrying families.

4. Activate USAR Area Field Service Companies to provide initial life support. MEDCOM for health. DODDS for schools. Have contracts in place for Aramark etc. to continue to operate.

And we damn well better be starting to accept this as the new norm and plan and budget for these for all coastal facilities.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed View Post
            It looks like you don't. https://www.wnct.com/news/military/c...ion/1434974391

MCAS Beaufort and Parris Island were going to be evacuated, but that was later canceled.
            Friend of mine had made it to Georgia and was told to turn around.

The county Lejeune is in, Onslow, however is doing it. I get the brigadier's reasoning because it's why we always stayed and stuck them out, but there's a lot of military living in civilian Onslow County that are going to be on their own. Cherry Point's county (Craven) has also done mandatory evac, which going back 30 years is the 1st time they've done that.
            Last edited by rj1; 12 Sep 18,, 17:55.

Comment

Working...
            X