3 Indians will reach space within 16 minutes of launch: Isro chairman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Indians will reach space within 16 minutes of launch: Isro chairman

NEW DELHI: Three Indians who will be chosen for the country's first human space flight programme will reach space within 16 minutes of the launch from the Sriharikota spaceport. They will spend five to seven days in the low-earth orbit before the crew module makes a splashdown in the Arabian Sea off the Gujarat coast, Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) chairman K Sivan said here on Tuesday. He said, "Isro will certainly launch the Gaganyaan by 2022", the deadline set by PM Narendra Modi during his recent I-Day speech.

Making a detailed presentation on India's first manned mission in the national capital, the Isro chairman, accompanied by minister of state for atomic energy and space Jitendra Singh, said, "A crew module carrying three Indians will be attached with a service module. Together, these two modules will comprise the orbital module that will be integrated with an advanced version of GSLV Mk III rocket. "

He further said, "The rocket when launched from Sriharikota will take the crew to the low-earth orbit, which is some 300-400 km from the Earth, within 16 minutes. The crew in the module will spend around five to seven days in space where they will do several micro-gravity and scientific experiments."

"During the return journey, the orbital module with reorient itself and change direction. The de-boost process (ignition for the return journey) will start and crew module and service module will separate at an altitude of 120 km. The crew module will apply aerobrake to reduce the speed and parachutes will open just before the splashdown in the Arabian sea near the Gujarat coast. The return journey from the space to the earth will take 36 minutes," the Isro chief added.

The Isro chief said, "In case of some technical problem during landing, we have a backup plan too where the crew module can land in the Bay of Bengal. After the splashdown, the crew will then be safely recovered from the module within 20 minutes." On the crew module, Sivan said, "The crew module will have a 3.5 metre diametre and will be the size of a small cubicle. The total mass of the module will be 7 tonnes."

On tests before the 2022 manned mission, Sivan said, "Isro will conduct the first unmanned test-flight within 30 months. The second unmanned flight will be done in 36 months. And finally, the first human spaceflight will be launched in 40 months." He said, "Most of the critical technologies needed for the mission like crew escape system or pad-abort and crew module have already been developed and tests on them are currently going on."

On training of the crew, Sivan said, "The spacesuit for the crew is ready. For training the crew, we will send them to a facility in Bengaluru and can also send them abroad. We are also in touch with Rakesh Sharma (the first Indian cosmonaut to go to space in 1984) and consulting him for the space mission."

Minister Jitendra Singh said, "We won't call it a manned mission because as the PM has said in his I-Day speech that a girl can also be sent to space. This human spaceflight programme will totally be an indigenous mission. However, we can send the selected crew for the space training abroad. By 2022, India will become the fourth country after Russia, US and China to send humans to space.

The minister said, "We are not sending robots or animals to space first. The reason being there are several advantages of sending humans to space. They can do several experiments in space and experience the changes in human behaviour, including psychological and biological changes."

On the mission budget, Singh said, "Less than Rs 10,000 crore will be allocated for the mission. This will be a cost-effective budget as the money allocated will be much less than what other countries had spent on the manned mission. This money will be in addition to the annual budget of Rs 6,000 crore earmarked for Isro."
    Source
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

India Plans to Send a Crew of Three to Space by 2022 - Bloomberg

India plans to spend $1.4 billion to send a crew of three to space by 2022, spurred by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s goal that will help the country break into an elite club.

A module with three astronauts will be launched from Sriharikota, a tiny barrier island in southeastern India, taking the passengers on a seven-day voyage around the Earth, according to the government. The capsule will then land in the Arabian sea, near the western coastal state of Gujarat.

India, the world’s cheapest space explorer, is competing with the likes of the U.S., China, Russia and billionaires such as Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in exploring space. The Indian Space Research Organisation, the nation’s equivalent of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, plans to land near the Moon’s south pole early next year -- an area where no nation has gone before -- and explore the potential for mining helium-3, a source of waste-free nuclear energy that could be worth trillions of dollars.

Modi’s call, made in his Independence Day speech this month, to send an Indian into space in a vehicle made and launched from the country is akin to former U.S. President John F. Kennedy’s announcement in 1961 that pushed NASA to send a man to the moon.

The plan, which will put the South Asian nation on track to become the fourth to send humans to space, will create as many as 15,000 jobs and will be preceded by two unnamed test flights, K. Sivan, ISRO’s chairman, told reporters in New Delhi on Tuesday. Prototypes of space suits, a crew-escape system and life-support system are already in place, he said.

India has specialized in low-cost space launches since the early 1960s, when rocket sections were transported by bicycle and assembled by hand inside St. Mary Magdalene Church in Thumba, a fishing village near the tip of the Indian peninsula. It has since conducted missions to Mars and the moon, where an unmanned mission showed the likelihood of water formation.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Sounds doable around the four year deadline (maybe another year out possibly, given that aerospace, especially orbital stuff, projects of all nationalities almost always encounter some delay).

Comment

/\/\/\ Yeah. We've sent numerous satellites in space. So, I don't think this is a big deal. The complexity lies in sending humans in the crew pod, and then getting them back again safely. It can be done within the time-frame should there be no major hiccups.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          /\/\/\ Yeah. We've sent numerous satellites in space. So, I don't think this is a big deal.
          But the payload will be much heavier. Don't our current rockets limit the payload. This is why we launch smaller satellites.

So we have to master rockets that can carry heavier payloads than presently

The complexity lies in sending humans in the crew pod, and then getting them back again safely. It can be done within the time-frame should there be no major hiccups.
          That and the new rockets.

Next five years ? really ??......

But if it makes people more comfortable about voting the incumbent in a second time, its ok i guess
          Last edited by Double Edge; 29 Aug 18,, 15:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            But the payload will be much heavier. Don't our current rockets limit the payload. This is why we launch smaller satellites.

So we have to master rockets that can carry heavier payloads than presently
            The heaviest India launched was 3,136kg (GSAT-19), and that was last year. A newer version is on the works (4000kg). Consider this with the US space mission that put man on the moon {weight - 5900 kg}. I would say, within the timeframe available, this is achievable.

That and the new rockets.

Next five years ? really ??......

But if it makes people more comfortable about voting the incumbent in a second time, its ok i guess
            Bah! Now you're talking like me. :D

Btw, I don't think this announcement, particularly the hi-tech processes involved would find any resonance with voters at the grass-root level. This is for consumption of the middle-class citizenry.
            Last edited by Oracle; 03 Sep 18,, 12:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
              Bah! Now you're talking like me. :D

Btw, I don't think this announcement, particularly the hi-tech processes involved would find any resonance with voters at the grass-root level. This is for consumption of the middle-class citizenry.
              It's not for the grass roots its aimed squarely at the aspirational classes in the 18 -35yr whom analysts say put Modi in office. in the end whether Modi remains in office is up to them whether their lot improved or not in the five years after 2014. A mini Apollo program that will keep scientists involved and potential for many spin offs later

At the time people were saying it was a victory for Hindutva which is less credible
              Last edited by Double Edge; 03 Sep 18,, 16:08.

Comment

It's not for the grass roots its aimed squarely at the aspirational classes in the 18 -35yr whom analysts say put Modi in office. in the end whether Modi remains in office is up to them whether their lot improved or not in the five years after 2014. A mini Apollo program that will keep scientists involved and potential for many spin offs later

At the time people were saying it was a victory for Hindutva which is less credible
                Middle-class citizenry = Aspirational class.

Comment

Working...
                X