No announcement yet.

John McCain dead at 81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, boy, another comment about losing three planes. Of course it always comes without any explanation on any forum I read. Luckily there are always those smart enough to point out the error.

Comment

Incident in Texas (pilot said engine problems), USN did not concur.
      Incident in Spain flying too low again instead of splashing down he caused a black out after flying into power lines.
      Incident in Virginia, reportedly flying under 1,000 feet and claimed another engine failure. It Is unknown to me what the USN thought about that aircraft mishap.
      He liked flying low.

I may get to pay my respects when I visit the US Naval Academy in November, at the time of the commissioning of USS Sioux City (reportedly the first USN combatant ever to be commissioned at the Academy).
      Last edited by surfgun; 28 Aug 18,, 18:21.

Comment

He held out for his brothers in arms under torture.

The current leadership grew bone spurs and throws a fit at Google algorithms.

McCain was a lion. The current leadership is a national disgrace, favored by 44% of the electorate, who like Russia more than they love their own land.
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
          The current leadership grew bone spurs and throws a fit at Google algorithms.
          Actually Google has done that in the past. But, I don't think Google is doing that to the Trump administration. Lol.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            Incident in Spain flying too low again instead of splashing down he caused a black out after flying into power lines.
            Incident in Virginia, reportedly flying under 1,000 feet and claimed another engine failure. It Is unknown to me what the USN thought about that aircraft mishap.
            He liked flying low.

I may get to pay my respects when I visit the US Naval Academy in November, at the time of the commissioning of USS Sioux City (reportedly the first USN combatant ever to be commissioned at the Academy).
            AD-6 in Texas 1960 was pilot error.
            Another Skyraider in Spain, 1961, that hit power wires but no crash.
            T-2 trainer in Virginia 1965 engine failure.
            A-4 on the deck of the Forrestal along with many others.

I gather you don't know many Navy pilots. I would say that many have a somewhat independent streak especially back in the days. Some might call these guys colorful, profane and a hell of a lot of fun. I gather his grandfather, Slew, was a similar sort of guy who graduated low in his class, was profane, liked to drink and gamble. Yet was a great leader like they tend to be and could always be counted on when the chips were down.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
              Oh, boy, another comment about losing three planes. Of course it always comes without any explanation on any forum I read. Luckily there are always those smart enough to point out the error.
              My uncle lost 6...1 before WW 2, 2 in the war and 3 over the rest of his career.

The 30s-early 60s were very sporty as a pilot!
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                He liked flying low.

He completed multiple cruises without a Class A Flight mishap. Landing on the Essex class carriers he would have to arrest one of four wires in about an 80 x 60-foot area. the area was fixed to a rolling pitching surface. Flying low and fast with pop up was USN tactical doctrine at the time. It's not what we say or think, but what we do, and in that regard Senator McCain lead an exemplarily life.

Comment

Pictures have been going around about McCain pranking people like this. "Bunny ears" or whatever else it's called.

I thought about it. Why do people do that, and what does it mean?

It occurred to me that this is probably actually originally meant that the person it's being done to is wearing the horns, or the antlers.

Nowadays it's just a prank, but I get the feeling this is a long-forgotten way to really insult someone behind their back.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

What!? You have never done that in a photograph? You need to lighten up a bit.

Here is a short essay on it with accompanying picture examples. You might even recognize some of the people involved. Although McCain's looks a little more like the "hook 'em horns" of the University of Texas at Austin.

http://hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/th...ank_a_history/
                    Last edited by tbm3fan; 29 Aug 18,, 16:45.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                      What!? You have never done that in a photograph? You need to lighten up a bit.

Here is a short essay on it with accompanying picture examples. You might even recognize some of the people involved. Although McCain's looks a little more like the "hook 'em horns" of the University of Texas at Austin.

http://hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/th...ank_a_history/
                      Yeah, I've done it. But it must have been being done long before the age of photography, behind another guy's back, and it meant to imply he was "wearing the antlers".

Edit: Just happened to stumble across this video on the BBC on bunny ears this morning. Yup, it used to mean exactly what I thought it did.

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/the...-sign/p06j3q60
                      Last edited by Ironduke; 30 Aug 18,, 11:09.
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Flyover set for Annapolis.
                        https://www.wavy.com/news/military/n...ent/1412817200

Comment

Has the republican party as we've known it also died with Mc Cain ?

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Has the republican party as we've known it also died with Mc Cain ?
                            Looks it...
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

I didn't know McCain commanded this much respect from both the parties. He lost because of his VP choice Palin?
                              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

He lost because after two terms people were tired of repubs. The moment the govt had to bail out those investment banks the writing was on the wall. That kind of economic setback is going to sink any party any where every time.

Course you wouldn't know it if you read what people said in this place at the time. According them of course the repubs would get a third term.

Nah!
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Sep 18,, 15:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X