F-86F Academy 1/72

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-86F Academy 1/72

So I finally decided to do a USAF plane. No better place to start than the first war the USAF fought in. And no better plane than the F-86. and if you are doing a F-86 it has to be from the MIG Killing 51st Fighter Wing.

This kit is a repop that originally was released in 2000. Good detail, and best of all Cartograf Decals. The only aftermarket I'm using is the Edward Canopy Mask.

I've been kind of lazy at the bench lately, so I thought if I started a thread it would motivate me to build something. So here goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	454.7 KB
ID:	1485760

Name:	a-2.jpg
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1485761

Name:	a-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	1485762

Name:	a-4.jpg
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	1485763

Name:	a-5.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1485764

Ok, 2 days (about 4 hours) at the bench and I've only got the first 3 steps done.

First problem, the plastic is a little soft. When I cut things off with my sprue cutters, it wants to tear. Nothing that a little plastic putty won't fix. But going for a NMF it adds a lot more work. Any imperfection, scratch shows. Means a lot more prep work before painting.

The second problem is the instructions. On step one the instructions have you add parts C-31,C-32 and C-33 to the back deck part C-24. Easy, Peasy right? C-24 is a blank piece with no detail. . After searching a while on the one sprue I noticed C-10
    Which is the back deck with everything already molded on. To Academys favor they put them right beside each other on the sprue. To their detriment, they have a part C-10 in step 8. A small square piece that is part of the forward landing gear door.

Name:	b-4.jpg
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1477156

Name:	c-4-3.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1477157

Name:	c-2.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1477160

The instructions also have you build the cockpit with sidewalls C-22 and C-23. The kit already has the sidewalls molded on. Its like they took the instructions fro another kit and put them in the box.

Name:	b-1.jpg
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	1477158

Those sidewalls were a little bowed outward.Or too wide As I found out dryfitting the 2 fuselages halfs together. But with some filing and cutting (and Tamiya extra thin), I got everything to fit.

Name:	c-1.jpg
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1477159

Comment

Rant time. here is the problem I have. Its not the model. The problems are basic things that won't/shouldn't stop someone that has built a few models. Its not some unbuildable piece of plastic.

The problem I have is online reviews. Before I purchased this model I went to the net to see what I was getting into. Look at what, if any issues other people had and if I wanted to get the Academy kit or one made by another company.

All the reviews (6 build reviews) said this was a great kit, no problems. No mention of the crappy instructions, parts switch, might need to tweak the cockpit to get it to fit.

Why no honest reviews?

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        Rant time. here is the problem I have. Its not the model. The problems are basic things that won't/shouldn't stop someone that has built a few models. Its not some unbuildable piece of plastic.

The problem I have is online reviews. Before I purchased this model I went to the net to see what I was getting into. Look at what, if any issues other people had and if I wanted to get the Academy kit or one made by another company.

All the reviews (6 build reviews) said this was a great kit, no problems. No mention of the crappy instructions, parts switch, might need to tweak the cockpit to get it to fit.

Why no honest reviews?
        https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/f86f.htm

The reviewer had many of the same problems.

"This kit had been purchased at a swap meet so the wings and fuselage had already been removed from the sprue. Rather crudely too as there were some chunks taken out of the parts where they joined the sprues. Anyway, once the holes were cleaned up the wings were joined together."

"Once the trunking had dried, The fuselage halves were joined together. The fit wasn't bad but was not a perfect fit. Some filler will be needed."

Comment

Yea, and thats the 1/48 kit. I mentioned on the F-4 thread that i had the same problem with the 1/350 OHP. So it seems to be an Academy plastic problem. I've got 3 more Academy planes in my stash. Forewarned is forearmed.

I didn't give up on this kit. Just been very busy. New computer and a new set of hearing aids.

During that time I mated the wins to the fuselage. Fit very well, just a bit of filler on the seam. Then I started sanding, and sanded and then sanded some more. Then a coat of gloss black and started masking the canopy. The Eduard Mask cut some time off that. I can see where they would come in handy with something that has lots of windows. (Like the E-2 that I will get to someday)

Anyway, Some progress is still progress. If everything goes right, I shoot some aluminum tomorrow.

Name:	d-1.jpg
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	1477240

Name:	d-2.jpg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1477241

Name:	d-3.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1477242

Crappy pictures. Still using a very old digital camera. Maybe one day I'll get a new one

Comment

One week later. We had a Tropical Storm that dumped lots of water. My back yard looks like a lake. Not good for airbrushing.

But I gave it a shot anyway.

First coat of Metal Colors Chrome. A few spots that I'm not happy about. But Ill do a fine sanding and give it another coat.

Name:	e-1.jpg
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	1477296

Name:	e-2.jpg
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	1477297

Comment

Obviously my eyeball is not right over the aircraft but the paint job looks quite good to me. Yet knowing how you noticed a spot that I missed painting on the O10 level of the Hornet I'll take your word for it. As you said it is what us Marine Sergeants do.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                Obviously my eyeball is not right over the aircraft but the paint job looks quite good to me. Yet knowing how you noticed a spot that I missed painting on the O10 level of the Hornet I'll take your word for it. As you said it is what us Marine Sergeants do.
                A couple of splatters but I got it worked out.

She is starting to look like a 51st FIW bird.

Name:	f-1.jpg
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	1477317

Name:	f-2.jpg
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	1477318

Should have her done tomorrow

Comment

It took a little bit longer than I thought. More decals than I was expecting but she is done.

Counted them just to see.

The kit has 62 plastic parts. There were 90 common data decals, 7 unit decals and 10 decals specific to the pilot/plane representing. For a total of 107 decals

Name:	g-1.jpg
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1477320

Name:	g-2.jpg
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1477321

Name:	g-3.jpg
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	1477322

Name:	g-4.jpg
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	1477323

And a picture to show the size of the model in relation to an ink pen ( something common across the WAB)

Name:	g-5.jpg
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	1477324

Comment

F-86F-30 Sabre serial 52-4584

Attached to the 25th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, 51st Fighter Interceptor Wing based at Suwon AB , Korea in 1953

Flown by Major John Glenn USMC.

A Mig Mad Marine!

Name:	h-1.jpg
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	1477325

I said I was going to build a USAF plane. But I never said it was going to be one that a Air Force guy flew.

And here is the actual plane

Name:	F-86_'MiG_Mad_Marine'.jpg
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	1477326
                    Last edited by Gun Grape; 16 Sep 18,, 07:21.

Comment

If you want to build a second one. How about Major John Bolt USMC http://www.myzone59.com/le-f-86-sabr...maj-john-bolt/. He was a pretty good golfer too.

Comment

Been thinking about that. Bolt was the only Naval Aviator to become an Ace in Korea. And the only Marine to attain Ace status in 2 wars

Trying to figure out all the mods I would have to do to make the model a E. Smaller wings, leading edge slats and a few others
                        And source some letters/numbers

Academy does do a 1/72 F-86E in the Gabreski 2 plane combo (with a p-47) or I could go up a size and kit bash the Revell 1/48 D and F kits.

Comment

Well done. Would really like to see one of these builds in person just to gauge the size. I have never been into 1/72 so I have always built 1/48th. Maybe because 55 years ago 1/72 wasn't all that great in parts or decals.

Comment

Really nice! I missed the start of this thread, but it's nice to see a little plane model that doesn't take five months to complete.

Comment

Working...
                            X