F-15x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
    So as nearly as I can tell this is due to a couple of things, 1 because of operations in the middle East until recently we burnt up a lot of airframe hours and life that had gone into previous fleet lifespan projections. 2. F-35 production isn't quite as quick as had been hoped and ramping that up isn't cost effective and a lot of the current production is going to partner countries. 3. Pilot shortfall, it's fairly cost effective to have a F-15 pilot stay in the air guard flying a F-15 compared to transition to a new aircraft, or train a new pilot.
    I think mostly 3, but more related to time and cost and less due to pilot count. The time and cost to re-equip the ANG F-15C units with a different aircraft would be greatly increased versus conversion to the F-15EX.
    Last edited by JA Boomer; 18 Feb 21,, 22:16.

Comment

Regarding this, an idea just hit me: would the F-15EX be a good choice for Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
        Regarding this, an idea just hit me: would the F-15EX be a good choice for Canada?
        Operationally, yes. Realistically, no: simply due to budget constraints. The F-15 was considered in the late 70s during the CF-18 selection, it was rejected then due to high cost, and sadly, nothing has changed.

I believe that the purchase price of the F-15EX is higher than the Super Hornet, Gripen, and F-35, and maintenance cost is likely to be higher than the Super Hornet and Gripen.

Versus the Gripen or Super Hornet, the F-15EX provides an increase in operational capability, but the increase is likely considered overkill for the missions the RCAF typically conducts, and therefore not worth the extra cost. The comparison against the F-35 is more nuanced, as they both have their strengths and weaknesses, and pilot survivability favours the F-35.

Comment

And how many aircraft does the RCAF need to operate? And with global warming a known factor what aircraft allows them them best to patrol and defend the Arctic has to be a consideration.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            And how many aircraft does the RCAF need to operate? And with global warming a known factor what aircraft allows them them best to patrol and defend the Arctic has to be a consideration.
            You would hope, I don't think I've seen the selection criteria. I believe there is around 90 CF-18s still operable. The project office says they're buying 88 fighters to replace the CF-18s. I would have thought there would be a set budget vs a set number of airframes. Anyways, Boeing didn't serious propose the F-15, as they knew there was no chance of success.

Comment

I was just thinking of putting up more choices to the list. With almost every western fighter having been considered/discarded/reconsidered. seemed like a good idea. As for cost, while the F-15EX seems to be be more expensive to buy as compared to the F35, it looks like it will be a lot cheaper to maintain.

Comment

I was just thinking of putting up more choices to the list. With almost every western fighter having been considered/discarded/reconsidered. seemed like a good idea. As for cost, while the F-15EX seems to be be more expensive to buy as compared to the F35, it looks like it will be a lot cheaper to maintain.
                Don't worry, I can't imagine that Boeing and the government didn't discuss the potential of the F-15 for Canada. Don't forget that before the F-15EX, there was the F-15K/SG type models with newer cockpits, and then the F-15SA/QA type models with the fly-by-wire and additional hardpoints. So it's not like the USAF procurement of the F-15EX completely changed the landscape.

The USAF expects $29,000 per flight hour in the F-15EX, the F-35 was $44,000 per flight hour in 2018, down to $33,600 in 2020. I think it's reasonable to suspect that with fleet numbers and a single engine, the F-35 will match the F-15EX projections.

After reviewing ALL the options, the RCAF has narrowed it down to:

-Gripen: Cheapest alternative that can achieve all the mission requirements.
                -F-35: Safest aircraft (crashes per flight hour), increased pilot survivability and mission capability (stealth), best long tern sustainment (produced in the largest numbers, longest future production, operated by the most number of allies).
                -F/A-18E/F: Lowest transition cost from the current CF-18 fleet.

Don't get me wrong, would I choose the F-15EX over any of the above .. maybe. But the contestants have been whittled down to three, and each offers a unique advantage that the F-15 does not.

If I had my way, we'd buy:

80 EF-2000 Eurofighters (four air superiority squadrons)
                78 F-15EX Super Eagles (two interdiction/strike squadrons, and two maritime strike/reconnaissance squadrons)
                78 F-35A Lightning IIs (two SEAD/DEAD squadrons, and two penetrating strike squadrons)
                84 F/A-18F/G Super Hornets (two close air support squadrons, and two Growler electronic attack squadrons)

Probably a good thing I'm not in charge

Comment

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post

78 F-15EX Super Eagles (two interdiction/strike squadrons, and two maritime strike/reconnaissance squadrons)
                  78 F-35A Lightning IIs (two SEAD/DEAD squadrons, and two penetrating strike squadrons)
                  84 F/A-18F/G Super Hornets (two close air support squadrons, and two Growler electronic attack squadrons)

You forgot the tankers and AWACs!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post

Don't worry, I can't imagine that Boeing and the government didn't discuss the potential of the F-15 for Canada. Don't forget that before the F-15EX, there was the F-15K/SG type models with newer cockpits, and then the F-15SA/QA type models with the fly-by-wire and additional hardpoints. So it's not like the USAF procurement of the F-15EX completely changed the landscape.

The USAF expects $29,000 per flight hour in the F-15EX, the F-35 was $44,000 per flight hour in 2018, down to $33,600 in 2020. I think it's reasonable to suspect that with fleet numbers and a single engine, the F-35 will match the F-15EX projections.

After reviewing ALL the options, the RCAF has narrowed it down to:

-Gripen: Cheapest alternative that can achieve all the mission requirements.
                    -F-35: Safest aircraft (crashes per flight hour), increased pilot survivability and mission capability (stealth), best long tern sustainment (produced in the largest numbers, longest future production, operated by the most number of allies).
                    -F/A-18E/F: Lowest transition cost from the current CF-18 fleet.

Don't get me wrong, would I choose the F-15EX over any of the above .. maybe. But the contestants have been whittled down to three, and each offers a unique advantage that the F-15 does not.

If I had my way, we'd buy:

Nah! Who need a public health and education anyway. Luxuries I say! 'Young people ' need to need to harden up.
                    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

You forgot the tankers and AWACs!
                      As Canada is likely to be part of a coalition operation those assets would be shared. Plus the RCAF already has 8 or 9 tankers
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

As Canada is likely to be part of a coalition operation those assets would be shared. Plus the RCAF already has 8 or 9 tankers
                        Well he wanted 200+ top level fighers just for the RCAF, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Ward_Carroll
                          20 January 2023
                          Deep Intel on the F-15EX
                          (30 min, 04 sec)

Veteran U.S. Air Force Weapons System Officer "Pako" Benitez returns to review the details of the design, development, and tactics of the F-15EX, the revolutionary new version of a legendary Fourth Generation fighter.

Comment

Mach 2.9? Rad! https://aviationweek.com/shownews/si...p-speed-f-15ex

Comment

Working...
                            X