No announcement yet.

For Pakistan, terrorism is a state-sponsored business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMU student lodges complaint against fellow student who allegedly threatened her on social media

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 20.00.46.png
Views:	2
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	1479151
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Two militants killed in encounter in J-K

India slams Pak over construction of dam in PoK
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Inputs suggest terrorists planning to target Amarnath Yatra: Army officer

Comment

• Matiullah Jan: Pakistan anger as video shows reporter's abduction

A prominent Pakistani journalist has been released hours after he was picked up by unidentified armed men from a busy street in Islamabad.

Matiullah Jan is an outspoken critic of the military establishment.

A video purported to be of the kidnapping sparked an outcry on social media, with many pointing fingers at the Pakistani secret services.

It is widely seen as being behind the country's mounting "enforced disappearances".

Mr Jan was taken a day before he was to appear in the country's top court in a contempt case brought against him after he criticised the court's verdict in a case involving a top judge.

His family confirmed Mr Jan's return to BBC Urdu's Azam Khan, saying he was in high spirits.

"A caller from an unknown number rang me up to tell me come to Fatehjang [on the western outskirts of Islamabad] and take Matiullah home," his brother Shahid Abbasi, a lawyer, said.

Mr Abbasi said he had to walk some distance off the main road in Fatehjang area to meet his brother.

According to Mr Abbasi, Mr Jan told the family that during his captivity he was blindfolded and repeatedly driven from one place to another.

How was he kidnapped?

Mr Jan was picked up by around a dozen men in broad daylight outside a women's college on Tuesday.

He had just dropped off his wife, who works there, when he was surrounded by a number of vehicles, including some with police markings and one ambulance.

The event was recorded by the CCTV cameras installed in the college building, and the footage widely shared on social media, sparking anger.

Soon afterwards, Islamabad's High Court issued notices to top police and administration officials to appear in court on Wednesday, with or without Matiullah Jan, to explain his whereabouts.

Pressure was visible on the government when Federal Information Minister Shibli Faraz admitted at a news conference that according to information available at that time, Matiullah Jan had been "abducted" and it was the duty of the government to recover him.

Minister for Human Rights Shireen Mazari also described the event as "very disturbing" in a tweet, saying she had spoken to Islamabad's police chief.

The Pakistani media, which usually shies away from reporting such events, broke with tradition, and while there were some initial attempts to censor the story, most frontline TV channels ended up running it and discussing it in talk shows.

Senior lawyer Salman Akram Raja told Dawn News TV that "the era of the supremacy of anti-democratic forces may be headed towards an end because it has caused the country numerous reverses in spheres of politics and economy".

What is the court case about?

Mr Jan is to appear at the Supreme Court on Wednesday in connection with a contempt case.

An outspoken journalist, he has never shied away from courting controversies, often losing his jobs as a result.

He has worked for nearly all the major media houses of the country, but presently he runs his own channel on YouTube, called MJtv.

Covering legal affairs has long been his speciality, and he was one of the prominent voices that found gaps in a recent Supreme Court verdict against one of the court's judges, Justice Faiz Isa.

Justice Isa is known for some strong judgements indicting the military establishment for causing, or failing to prevent, some major incidents such as the 2016 Quetta hospital massacre or the 2017 Faizabad sit-in by a cleric that brought life in the federal capital to a standstill for several weeks.

Justice Isa, who is tipped to become the chief justice of the country in 2023, faces charges of failing to declare his family's assets in the UK and elsewhere.

The charges are seen by many as an attempt by the military to prevent him from reaching the top judicial office.

Matiullah Jan covered the issue on his YouTube channel, and also tweeted about it.
          Extremely lucky. Justice Isa, OTOH, would be sideline by the PA by hook or crook. In all possibility, by PA crooks.

Comment

• Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Since abrogation of Article 370, Kashmiri youths joining terrorist ranks dropped by more than 40%

Comment

• Manipur: 3 Assam Rifles personnel killed, 4 injured in ambush by terrorist group

Comment

• In Imran Khan’s 18-point Kashmir plan for Aug 5, outreach to Turkey, Malaysia and China

All islamic jihadi countries together, + genocidal communists.
                  Last edited by Oracle; 01 Aug 20,, 12:02.

Comment

• Indian agencies get Pak document ‘certifying’ Hizbul chief Salahuddin as ‘bona fide‘ official of ISI

These dumb people can't even hide it. Every time the PA/ISI combo gets caught with their pants down.

Comment

• The red line needs to go up

https://twitter.com/KesariDhwaj/stat...40854262878218

Click image for larger version

Name:	Terrorism stats Kashmir in perspective.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	1565771

Comment

• About the growth of radical organisations in the West and their anti-India rhetoric

Which means we're doing something right, for a change.

Comment

• Last edited by Oracle; 17 Sep 20,, 03:30.

Comment

• ISI chief begged for Taliban’s help in Kashmir: Ehsanullah Ehsan

New Delhi: On a cold evening of 2011, I left my office for home at Miranshah Bazaar in North Waziristan. From my home, I had to go to a friend’s party.

My car had not yet left the Bazaar area when someone called me on my walkie-talkie. The call was from the secretary of senior Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) leader, Maulana Wali-ur-Rehman Mehsud. He told me that he wanted to meet me. I told him that I had left the office and he should come and see me the next day, but he insisted that he wanted to meet that day only. I told them my location and parked the car on the side of the road and waited for them. He arrived 25 minutes later.

I asked him the reason for this urgent meeting, to which he replied that Amir Sahib (Wali-ur-Rehman Mehsud) wanted to meet me urgently. I asked him if there was an emergency. He said, “I do not know why you are being called immediately but I know that the ‘Masher’ TTP Ameer Hakimullah Mehsud is also coming.”

I noted down the address of the rendezvous point. After saying goodbye to them, I went to my friend’s party because his house was located at Dande Darpa Khel near Miranshah Bazar. On my request, my friend fed us and we went to the meeting place.

We were only five minutes away from the meeting place when we received another call on the walkie-talkie. This time, the call was from Latif Mehsud, who was considered as the direct successor to the TTP chief, Hakimullah Mehsud. Latif asked me where I was. I told him I was five miles from the meeting place. He then said, “Stop there, I will send someone to pick you up, because the meeting place has been changed for security reasons.”

After waiting for a while, a young man came and took us to another place where Latif Mehsud was present. While entering the room, I saw that Hakimullah Mehsud, Maulana Wali-ur-Rehman Mehsud and Azam Tariq (Tariq is a senior TTP leader, who was a spokesman of the group before Ehsanullah was made the spokesperson) were already there. They gave me the traditional welcome. After a short chat, Hakimullah Mehsud signalled for the guards to leave and ordered them to close the door and stand away. Now the meeting had begun.

Maulana Wali-ur-Rehman took a letter out of the envelope and gave it to me and told me to read it. I opened the letter and read it aloud. After doing so, Maulana Wali-ur-Rehman said to me, “You must have known why you were called in an emergency for this meeting.” I smiled and said, “Yes, I know.”

The letter I read was written by the DG ISI, General Shuja Pasha to Maulana Wali-ur-Rehman Mehsud. In it, General Shuja Pasha made an offer to the TTP leadership that if the TTP gave up its armed struggle against Pakistan, the ISI would not only provide them with a safe passage against NATO forces in Afghanistan but also provide financial and military support in every possible way. In this letter, General Shuja Pasha also praised the strength and capabilities of the TTP and called the TTP a necessity for Pakistan. He wrote that we should work together to remove the misunderstandings between the Pakistan army and the TTP and work together to drive the great enemy US (America) and NATO out of Afghanistan.

General Pasha had also written that if TTP accepted the demands, the TTP would not just be able to demonstrate its abilities in Waziristan but the whole of Pakistan would be open for the TTP and that the cadre of TTP and their children would be able to work in this country by getting education from educational institutions in Islamabad and Peshawar.

General Shuja Pasha had further stated that if Wali-ur-Rehman Mehsud was able to convince his organization, he would be remembered as a hero in the history of Pakistan. Pasha had further stated that the army would give him everything which will be beyond his imagination and desire.

Besides this, I was informed that General Pasha had also invited Maulana Sahib for a secret meeting. He had said that Naseer-ud-Din would arrange this secret meeting after seeing Naseer-ud-Din’s name in the letter. I asked Maulana Wali-ur-Rehman which Naseer-ud-Din he was talking about. To which he replied that he was referring to Dr Naseeruddin Haqqani, the son of Jalaluddin Haqqani, the leading leader of the Afghan Taliban and the first head of the Haqqani network.

Maulana Wali-ur-Rehman informed me that it was this member of the Haqqani family who had brought the letter from General Pasha. Dr Naseerudin Haqqani was later killed by unknown gunmen in Islamabad.

In this detailed letter, General Shuja Pasha had repeatedly referred to the Indian “occupation” of and “atrocities” in Kashmir. He had written to Maulana Wali-ur-Rehman Sahib saying that his forefathers had fought many wars for the independence of Kashmir and had made many sacrifices because they were true and patriotic Pakistanis. He, in the letter, had added that he should also join the Pakistan army in the “Ghazwa e Hind” war against India, because the war against India is a true and just jihad against the real infidels and polytheists. He also mentioned some Pakistan-backed organizations (Lashker-e-Tayyaba and Jaish-e-Mohammad) who were fighting against India in Kashmir and said that despite all the international pressure, Pakistan army was helping them because they were fighting for Pakistan. General Pasha had further stated that if the TTP fought for the interests of Pakistan, we (ISI) would support them on every front.

After the text of the letter was finished, TTP Amir Hakimullah Mehsud said that the meeting had been convened to decide whether to discuss the letter with the shura (council) or not. I told them that first we have to decide whether to accept the offer or not because if we don’t want to accept the offer then sharing the letter with someone will not be of any benefit, rather it would damage the TTP as it might cause unrest among the militants.

Everyone agreed with me and that’s how our meeting started, which lasted until three o’clock at night.

At the end of the meeting, we unanimously decided that we should not accept this offer, but should continue with our armed jihad to establish an Islamic system in Pakistan. Maulana Wali-ur-Rehman Sahib was directed to inform Dr Naseer-ud-Din Haqqani that we had rejected his offer. At the start of the meeting, I was asked to note down the developments in the meetings, so I saved all the minutes regarding the proceedings of the meeting in the form of a written document and got it signed by all the members who were in attendance.

I have witnessed dozens of such occasions in which the Pakistani military and intelligence agencies have made various offers and concessions to all extremist groups, including the Taliban, to use them as their proxies. Some of them accepted their offers individually and are now working as members of Aman committees and that of death squads in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan.

Ehsanullah Ehsan is a former Taliban commander.

Comment

• ISI tries to silence, discredit ex-Taliban commander

New Delhi: Under immense pressure due to the revelations being done by former Taliban commander, Ehsanuallah Ehsan, Pakistan army commanders at GHQ, Rawalpindi, have asked their operatives to find him as soon as they can and silence him, one way or the other, or better still, capture him so that he can be used to advance a false narrative that he has been working for Indian intelligence agencies.

Separately, in a bid to discredit whatever he has been saying against them, Pakistan’s ISI is also working to create a narrative that he is, in fact, working for them. The officer, who is handling this responsibility of peddling this fake narrative has been identified as Major Omer Zeb Khan, who was earlier posted with 206 SVY, a unit of Pakistan military intelligence that deals with Afghanistan and now is with the 414 INT, which deals with India.

The recent revelations done by Ehsan, which has also been taken notice of by the State Department, United States, are likely to make an impact on the FATF plenary meet that is scheduled between 18-23 October in Paris, which will discuss the steps taken by Pakistan to control terror networks operating in the country. Though Pakistan has publicly taken steps to show to the FATF that it was taking action against terror groups, revelations done by Ehsan, more of which are likely to come in the coming days, have proved the close nexus between the Pakistan army and these terror groups.

The Sunday Guardian has reliably learnt that one of Ehsan’s SIM cards has been blocked, his Facebook account blocked and being traced for his location after he wrote an article last week (ISI chief begged for Taliban’s help in Kashmir, 6 September) in this newspaper where he revealed how the ISI and the Pakistan army had sought the help and assistance of Taliban and other terror organisations to carry out attacks in Kashmir and against NATO forces. The article by Ehsan had more importantly revealed the extent of close cooperation between the Haqqani network and the Pakistan army.

Earlier, he had also revealed how the Pakistan army was operating multiple death squads in various parts of the country to silence Opposition members, journalists and members of civil society.

In a bid to bring back Ehsan, who had escaped from a Peshawar safe house in January 2020 (This newspaper had broken this story: Pak Taliban leader Ehsanullah Ehsan ‘flees’ from safe house), the Pakistan army has abducted seven members of his family including his father, three brothers, his maternal uncle, one cousin brother and one of his close friends who have been in illegal custody for the last eight months.

Such is the desperation of the Pakistan army to reel in Ehsan, that a case filed by Ehsan’s family in the Peshawar High Court, seeking the release of these abducted members, has not come up for hearing even once. The case is listed in front of Justice Qaiser Rashid Khan of Peshawar High Court. (Writ petition 2398 (Aziz Ullah vs Federation of Pakistan) and Writ petition 2397 (Asmat Ullah vs Federation of Pakistan). The names of the detainees, as per the court records, whose release has been sought, are: Musafar Khan, Sher Muhammad Shafiq, Shaukat Khan, Hashmat Khan, Sher Bacha and Shah Fahad.

All these individuals who were picked by the Pakistan army—as soon as Ehsan escaped from the Peshawar safe house—from the Chitral, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region, are small traders who own clothes and slipper shops and have no criminal record. In fact, one of Ehsan’s brothers, Shafiq, who is in illegal custody since January, is a full-time member of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party, which is in power right now.

According to information gathered by this newspaper, former and present members of Taliban and Pakistan army officers have reached out to Ehsan in the last few days with offers and threats and asked him to “come back” or be ready to face dire consequences once he is found. Even the media of Pakistan have been specifically asked not to carry or reproduce whatever Ehsan has been putting out on social media.

Comment

• Was US Institute of Peace harbouring a Pakistani asset? The case of Moeed Yusuf

For several years, under the ostensible leadership of Moeed Yusuf, the Washington DC-based United States Institute of Peace –working on global conflict reduction – has furthered a relentless pro-Pakistan policy. He has been promoting Pakistan’s interests at US taxpayers’ expense.

I have complained about it many times, and have also reported him to the FBI and to every serving member of the US House Oversight Committee. The institute was founded by the US Congress, which continues to pay its bills.

My concerns about Yusuf were vindicated last week when The Dawnannounced that he will assume a newly-created position – the chairperson of the Strategic Policy Planning Cell (SPPC) of Pakistan, which functions under the country’s National Security Division.

USIP’s stance

The United States Institute of Peace (USIP)’s pro-Pakistan stance is evidenced in the editorials and programme documents written by Moeed Yusuf and his colleagues, including Steve Hadley, another well-known pro-Pakistan former official in the George W. Bush administration, as well as in media interviews and congressional testimonies. Persons familiar with USIP employees have told me that they note that “we [USIP] are pro-Pakistan.”

The USIP has been the premier venue for hosting a variety of Pakistani officials. The events are by invitation-only and not open to a general audience. This policy is odd given that the USIP is funded exclusively by the US government. They also explicitly preclude critics of Pakistan or of the USIP’s position such as myself.

During the last event that I was permitted to attend at USIP in 2014, the USIP hosted a Pakistan Defense delegation after which I posted a searing recount of the event. The man behind the event was an oddly well-heeled Pakistani-American Dentist named Nisar Chaudhury who latter confessed to illegally lobbying on behalf of Pakistan. (Pakistan had long ousted me from such events but Chaudhury was keen to broker some kind of a rapprochement with me and the deep state and invited me. That rapprochement did not happen, obviously.)

In what functioning government is it appropriate for a US citizen (perhaps with dual citizenship now), after years of selling Pakistan’s interests while drawing a salary from the US government, to take up such a position in Pakistan government without consequence? The USIP must be asked important questions: Was it harbouring and nurturing a ‘Pakistani asset’? Will it re-employ Yusuf when his tenure in Pakistan ends?

Who is Moeed Yusuf

The South Asia policy community first heard of Moeed Yusuf around 2008 when he was a doctoral student in Boston. Leading male South Asia scholars nurtured him. In 2010, Ambassador William B. Taylor hired Moeed Yusuf as a “South Asia Adviser”. At the time of hire, he was not an American citizen, and as per my conversations with USIP staff, he was hired as a consultant initially. Early in his tenure, I raised issues with Taylor as well as Andrew Wilder.

In 2010, another female scholar of Pakistan told me that she had given Yusuf a sensitive proposal and that she believed Yusuf had conveyed it to “Pakistan’s agencies”. Unfamiliar with Yusuf, I presumed that—if this had occurred at all—it would have been by accident. I suggested to this very anxious scholar that perhaps Yusuf sent it to a reviewer who may have forwarded it. I told her that I would raise the matter with Ambassador Taylor, which I did. To my surprise when Ambassador Taylor raised this issue with the scholar, she recanted her story and bizarrely insinuated that I fabricated this to embarrass her.

To this day, I do not know what motivated her to reach out to me with this account or to recant it. What I do know is that it undermined my credibility when I raised subsequent questions on Yusuf, which I did again, in the spring of 2011.

In May 2011, I received a threatening email indicating that I would be “gang raped” by an entire regiment if and when I returned to Pakistan. These emails are never signed: “Affectionately, the ISI.” I immediately phoned the ISI station chief in the Pakistan embassy in Washington DC, who was defence attaché Brigadier Nazir Butt. He and I had a very heated exchange during which I demanded to know why I have received this threat. Nazir offered two reasons. He said he had seen a document that was the prospectus for my future book Fighting to the End. Only one person had that prospectus who was also in a position to forward it Nazir. That person was political analyst Shuja Nawaz. (The only other possible explanation was that the organisation had hacked my computer or his.) The other piece of information he recounted was reported from a briefing that I did, along with Moeed Yusuf and Marvin Weinbaum, for the outgoing ambassador to Islamabad, Ambassador Cameron Munter.

Nazir and I also had a heated follow-up conversation at the Pakistan embassy. I reported this to Andrew Wilder, who was his supervisor at the time. Wilder raised this with Yusuf who denied saying anything inappropriate and wrote an indignant email to me a few days later. From that point onward, I refused to be in any meeting with him that was “off the record” and warned people that he may be compromised.

Meanwhile, Yusuf continued his ascent within the USIP as did his authority over the organisation’s remit. He even organised an exclusive, invitation-only “Young Professionals Working Group on Pakistan,” which featured officials from the US and Pakistani government including the ISI station chief, Brig. Butt in 2011.

Fundings

In 2017, I encouraged an Indian journalist, Seema Sirohi, to submit an FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request for all emails between Yusuf as well as Hadley and officials at the Pakistani Embassy. Amazingly, the USIP declined this saying these communications constitute “inter-agency or intra-agency communications” and are thus exempt. How can communications with a foreign entity be so-classified by an organisation such as the USIP? Equally appalling, Yusuf, chided Sirohi about the request when they next met at a function.

My concerns about Yusuf intensified when a foreign agent informed me that they believed Yusuf and/or Hadley, most likely via Hadley’s private firm, had taken funds from the Midwest Fertilizer Co. LLC in Indiana. The operations of this firm were not without controversy because its lead investor was Fatima Fertilizer Group, a Pakistan-based firm that was supplying some 80 per cent of the fertilizer that the Taliban used in its improvised explosive devices (IEDs, or bombs), which were responsible for most of the deaths of Americans soldiers and their Afghan and NATO allies. A British military officer argued that the firm should change its production method because the Fatima Group is the “lone source of the problem in Afghanistan”. The firm refused to be a part of a solution. For this reason, then-governor of Indiana, Mike Pence, suspended state support for the project.

However, Pence reopened talks with Midwest Fertilizer, after which the Indiana Economic Development Corp. offered the company $300,000 in conditional incentives from the Hoosier Business Investment tax credit. The foreign agent refused to provide information about his source.

In December 2017, I reported this to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, to a personal contact at the National Security Council as well as to a senior official at the Central Intelligence Agency. I had planned to meet with staffers at the House Oversight Committee to discuss this and other concerns, but the FBI asked me to demur from doing so.

I complained to and about the USIP most recently on 25 July when I sent an unanswered email asking how the USIP justifies excluding persons such as myself when it hosts senior Pakistani officials. That same week, I sent a fax to every member of the US House Oversight Committee and the Subcommittee on Government operations. Not a single member responded to my note.

Yusuf’s new job

Moeed Yusuf has now accepted a recently-created post in Pakistan under the National Security Division, which was created in January 2014 and its mandate includes:

“provision of secretariat services to the National Security Committee (NSC), drafting of National Security Policy (NSP) and engagement with international partners in a dialogue on issues relevant to national security of Pakistan. The Division is headed by Minister for National Security…. The National Security Committee (NSC) is the principal decision-making body on National Security matters.”

Yusuf will serve in an ex-officio capacity to the NSC.

Pakistan has a decent track record of placing its citizens in sensitive posts. Zain Qureshi, son of Shah Mahmood Qureshi who was then the foreign minister under President Asif Ali Zardari, worked for Senator John Kerry as an intern in 2009. Qureshi returned to Pakistan, where his father is now the foreign minister under Prime Minister Imran Khan. Zain Qureshi is now a member of Pakistan’s National Assembly and is currently serving as the federal parliamentary secretary for finance.

Brigadier Gen. (Retired) Feroz Khan might be the most audacious placement. For more than a decade, he has been a faculty member at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) in California. Khan, who was promoted to brigadier without ever commanding a brigade, was related to Pervez Musharraf through marriage. (Khan’s daughter was married to Musharraf’s son. They have since been divorced.) What makes Khan so controversial is that prior to joining the NPS, he worked for General Khalid Kidwai in Pakistan’s Strategic Plans Division (SPD), which is the premier organisation responsible for Pakistan’s nuclear weapons programme.

Several persons at the NPS have expressed considerable concern about the procedures involved in hiring Khan, who was not a US citizen. They told this author that he was hired as a consultant. He is now a US citizen.

In what country does a retired general from another hostile nuclear programme join a military-educational institution where he has the ability to not only shape the perceptions of hundreds of personnel each year, but also garner deeply personal insights about personnel being deployed to Pakistan? Khan’s colleagues at the NPS continue to raise doubts with me about his funding for his lifestyle, which seems inconsonant with his NPS salary.

Similarly, Moeed Yusuf’s tenure at USIP may well be another example of a US-taxpayer-funded institution hosting a deep-state asset. One should be very clear about the nature of US-Pakistan relations. Pakistan is single-handedly responsible for not only undermining US interests in Afghanistan, but also having proxies such as the Haqqani Network and the Taliban, who are directly responsible for murders of American personnel as well as their Afghan and NATO allies.

What next?

The USIP must be held to account as must Yusuf. He should at least be compelled to give up his US citizenship as is standard for others who have joined foreign governments. The USIP should not be permitted to hire him back.

Equally, the American taxpayer deserves to know why organisations such as the FBI and the House Oversight Committee never cared about Yusuf and its actions when it actually mattered?

Americans deserve to know the answers. And so do the families of victims of Pakistan-sponsored militant groups.

C. Christine Fair is the author of Fighting to the End: The Pakistan Army’s Way of War and In Their Own Words: Understanding the Lashkar-e-Tayyaba.
                                I believe someone posted this piece earlier, nonetheless, a good read, not only about Moeed, but also about how systems get compromised by the deep state of Pakistan.

Comment

Working...
                                X